Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bob Woodward's new book FEAR
Bob Woodward's new book FEAR is coming out. He claims in his book that the general theme of the book is Trump is a idiot and a F**king Liar, supposedly a view shared by a number of his staff. Naturally some are denying making defamatory comments about Trump.
Woodward broke Watergate and won two Pulitzer prizes. The WH position is these are disgruntled former employee's. I'm starting to regret I voted for him.

Arts & Lifestyle News

Trump, others dispute book's description of unhinged leader
WASHINGTON (AP) — An incendiary tell-all book by a reporter who helped bring down President Richard Nixon set off a firestorm in the White House, with its descriptions of current and former aides calling President Donald Trump an "idiot" and a "liar," disparaging his judgment and claiming they plucked papers off his desk to prevent him from withdrawing from a pair of trade agreements.
[Image: bob-woodward.jpg]

[Image: .jpg]

(1 of 2) Former Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward speaking during an event to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Watergate in Washington. Details are starting to come out from journalist Bob Woodward’s forthcoming book on President Donald Trump’s first 18 months in office.

September 05, 2018
The book by Washington Post journalist Bob Woodward is the latest to throw the Trump administration into damage-control mode with explosive anecdotes and concerns about the commander in chief. The Associated Press obtained a copy of "Fear: Trump in the White House" on Tuesday, a week before its official release.
Trump decried the quotes and stories in the book on Twitter as "frauds, a con on the public," adding that Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and chief of staff John Kelly had denied uttering quoted criticisms of the president in the book.
And he denied accounts in the book that senior aides snatched sensitive documents off his desk to keep him from making impulsive decisions. He said in an interview with The Daily Caller, "There was nobody taking anything from me."
Later Tuesday, Trump was back on Twitter denying the book's claim that he had called Attorney General Jeff Sessions "mentally ********" and "a dumb southerner." Trump insisted he "never used those terms on anyone, including Jeff," adding that "being a southerner is a GREAT thing." Sessions has been a target of the president's wrath since recusing himself from the Russia investigation.
The publication of Woodward's book has been anticipated for weeks, and current and former White House officials estimate that nearly all their colleagues cooperated with the famed Watergate journalist. The White House, in a statement from press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, dismissed the book as "nothing more than fabricated stories, many by former disgruntled employees, told to make the President look bad."
Woodward did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The book quotes Kelly as having doubts about Trump's mental faculties, declaring during one meeting, "We're in Crazytown." It also says he called Trump an "idiot," an account Kelly denied Tuesday.
The book says Trump's former lawyer in the Russia probe, John Dowd, doubted the president's ability to avoid perjuring himself should he be interviewed in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian election interference and potential coordination with Trump's campaign. Dowd, who stepped down in January, resigned after the mock interview, the book says.
"Don't testify. It's either that or an orange jumpsuit," Dowd is quoted telling the president. Dowd, in a statement Tuesday, said "no so-called 'practice session' or 're-enactment'" took place and denied saying Trump was likely to end up in an orange jumpsuit.
Mattis is quoted explaining to Trump why the U.S. maintains troops on the Korean Peninsula to monitor North Korea's missile activities. "We're doing this in order to prevent World War III," Mattis said, according to the book.
The book recounts that Mattis told "close associates that the president acted like — and had the understanding of — 'a fifth- or sixth-grader.'" Mattis said in a statement, "The contemptuous words about the President attributed to me in Woodward's book were never uttered by me or in my presence."
A Pentagon spokesman, Col. Rob Manning, said Mattis was never interviewed by Woodward. "Mr. Woodward never discussed or verified the alleged quotes included in his book with Secretary Mattis" or anyone within the Defense Department, Manning said.
Woodward reported that after Syria's Bashar Assad launched a chemical weapons attack on civilians in April 2017, Trump called Mattis and said he wanted the Syrian leader taken out, saying: "Kill him! Let's go in." Mattis assured Trump he would get right on it but then told a senior aide they'd do nothing of the kind, Woodward wrote. National security advisers instead developed options for the airstrike that Trump ultimately ordered.
U.S. Ambassador Nikki Haley denied Tuesday that Trump had ever planned to assassinate Assad. She told reporters at U.N. headquarters that she had been privy to conversations about the Syrian chemical weapons attacks, "and I have not once ever heard the president talk about assassinating Assad."
She said people should take what is written in books about the president with "a grain of salt." Woodward also claims that Gary Cohn, the former director of the National Economic Council, boasted of removing papers from the president's desk to prevent Trump from signing them into law, including efforts to withdraw from the North American Free Trade Agreement and from a deal with South Korea.
Trump did not speak to Woodward until after the book's manuscript was completed. The Post released audio of Trump expressing surprise about the book in an August conversation with Woodward and dismay that he did not have an opportunity to contribute. Woodward tells Trump he had contacted multiple officials to attempt to interview Trump and was rebuffed.
"I never spoke to him," Trump told The Daily Caller. "Maybe I wasn't given messages that he called. I probably would have spoken to him if he'd called, if he'd gotten through." The book follows the January release of author Michael Wolff's "Fire and Fury," which led to a rift between Trump and Steve Bannon, his former chief strategist, who spoke with Wolff in terms that were highly critical of the president and his family. Wolff's book attracted attention with its vivid anecdotes but suffered from numerous factual inaccuracies.
Woodward's work also comes weeks after former White House aide and "Apprentice" contestant Omarosa Manigault Newman published an expose on her time in the West Wing, including audio recordings of her firing by Kelly and a follow-up conversation with the president in which he claimed to have been unaware of Kelly's decision.
While White House aides have become increasingly numb to fresh scandals, the latest book still increased tensions in the West Wing, especially given the intimate details shared and the number of people Woodward appeared to have interviewed. Some White House officials expressed surprise at the number of erstwhile Trump loyalists willing to offer embarrassing stories of the president and his inner circle.
White House aides on Tuesday coordinated with other officials quoted in the book to dispute troublesome passages. But insiders speculated the fallout could be worse than that from "Fire and Fury," given Woodward's storied reputation.
Woodward's book was already ranked the top-selling book on Amazon on Tuesday. Trump has been increasingly critical of anonymous sources used by reporters covering his administration. Woodward's account relies on deep background conversations with sources, meaning their identities are not disclosed.
Former George W. Bush press secretary Ari Fleischer defended Woodward's methodology. "I've been on the receiving end of a Bob Woodward book," he tweeted Tuesday. "There were quotes in it I didn't like. But never once - never - did I think Woodward made it up."
He added: "Anonymous sources have looser lips and may take liberties. But Woodward always plays it straight. Someone told it to him."
At this point does anyone think trump is hinged? Outside of the fellow unhinged?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-05-2018, 09:47 AM)Benton Wrote: At this point does anyone think trump is hinged? Outside of the fellow unhinged?

Well he shared typed quotes saying everything in the book is a lie.  

And since Trump always tells the truth it must be true...right?   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I'll take the word of the journalist with a proven track record of exposing a corrupt President over the President with a proven track record of lying at every turn.
The phone call was fun. Trump says he wishes Woodward had interviewed him. Woodward says he tried, lists all of the people who he got in contact with, and Trump says he didn't hear from them. Trump then admits he did hear about it from Lindsey Graham. He then gets Kellyanne on the phone who says he submitted the interview request to the right people (even though she has direct contact with Trump...) but they didn't follow up.

Trump says the book will be inaccurate, Woodward promises him it won't be. Trump then says "Well what's accurate is that nobody's ever done a better job than I'm doing as President" and ends the call shortly after that.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-05-2018, 10:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'll take the word of the journalist with a proven track record of exposing a corrupt President over the President with a proven track record of lying at every turn.

I don't know.  He said that Bush didn't lie to get us into Iraq.  Maybe he's credible again.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-05-2018, 11:08 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't know.  He said   that Bush didn't lie to get us into Iraq.  Maybe he's credible again.  

The book you are referencing was criticized for being too credible in terms of leaking true and sensitive material. His musings of things are one thing, but his sources and credibility in passing on what he finds out from those in the know are not really questionable. I have no doubt the story he recounts in the book are true, his take on what it all means can be left up to the reader. The fact Trump claims they aren't true is where I kind of laugh.
(09-05-2018, 11:08 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't know.  He said that Bush didn't lie to get us into Iraq.  Maybe he's credible again.  

Did Bush lie, or was Bush using the information fed to him? We know the information was inaccurate, but the source of that is still unproven. This is why it's difficult to really say someone is lying in situations like that.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-05-2018, 10:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'll take the word of the journalist with a proven track record of exposing a corrupt President over the President with a proven track record of lying at every turn.

(09-05-2018, 11:08 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't know.  He said   that Bush didn't lie to get us into Iraq.  Maybe he's credible again.  

I would too.  However, Mattis had the following to say;

"The contemptuous words about the President attributed to me in Woodward's book were never uttered by me or in my presence," says the general's statement. "While I generally enjoy reading fiction, this is a uniquely Washington brand of literature, and his anonymous sources do not lend credibility."

If there's one person in the Trump admin I trust it's Mattis.  If he says the book lies then the book lies... in my book.  Mellow
(09-05-2018, 10:49 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The phone call was fun. Trump says he wishes Woodward had interviewed him. Woodward says he tried, lists all of the people who he got in contact with, and Trump says he didn't hear from them. Trump then admits he did hear about it from Lindsey Graham. He then gets Kellyanne on the phone who says he submitted the interview request to the right people (even though she has direct contact with Trump...) but they didn't follow up.

Trump says the book will be inaccurate, Woodward promises him it won't be. Trump then says "Well what's accurate is that nobody's ever done a better job than I'm doing as President" and ends the call shortly after that.

I wonder if Daddy's supporters hear the same thing in that audio.  To me, he sounds like a fumbling moron playing way above his pay grade.  Nearly mentally incapable of observing the obvious.  

Maybe supporters hear something else.  But that audio is quite telling.
(09-05-2018, 11:24 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I would too.  However, Mattis had the following to say;

"The contemptuous words about the President attributed to me in Woodward's book were never uttered by me or in my presence," says the general's statement. "While I generally enjoy reading fiction, this is a uniquely Washington brand of literature, and his anonymous sources do not lend credibility."

If there's one person in the Trump admin I trust it's Mattis.  If he says the book lies then the book lies... in my book.  Mellow

I'll trust the guy who exposed Watergate to have confirmed those things with his sources. It wouldn't be the first time that someone back tracked after backlash for something they said.
(09-05-2018, 11:29 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'll trust the guy who exposed Watergate to have confirmed those things with his sources. It wouldn't be the first time that someone back tracked after backlash for something they said.

So you're saying that Mattis is lying?  One person is trying to sell a book and influence the mid term elections.  The other is a career military officer and a man of unassailable integrity.  I'll take the word of Mattis over Woodward all day.
(09-05-2018, 11:32 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: So you're saying that Mattis is lying?  One person is trying to sell a book and influence the mid term elections.  The other is a career military officer and a man of unassailable integrity.  I'll take the word of Mattis over Woodward all day.

I believe someone caught bad mouthing their boss would lie to back track out of the comments made. I also believe that a writer making such claims has verified accounts of people who heard those statements to fall back on. 
(09-05-2018, 11:42 AM)Au165 Wrote: I believe someone caught bad mouthing their boss would lie to back track out of the comments made. I also believe that a writer making such claims has verified accounts of people who heard those statements to fall back on. 

Omarosa's book was easy to dismiss because she isn't credible.

That same strategy doesn't work with Woodward, his reputation is too strong. I have to assume all of his quotes were cross checked with multiple sources. 

(09-05-2018, 11:42 AM)Au165 Wrote: I believe someone caught bad mouthing their boss would lie to back track out of the comments made. I also believe that a writer making such claims has verified accounts of people who heard those statements to fall back on. 

(09-05-2018, 11:50 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Omarosa's book was easy to dismiss because she isn't credible.

That same strategy doesn't work with Woodward, his reputation is too strong. I have to assume all of his quotes were cross checked with multiple sources. 

Which means you think Mattis is lying.  Sorry, not buying that.  If it was anyone else in the admin I'd be on the same page with you, but I don't buy Mattis making such a complete lie in such a public fashion.
(09-05-2018, 11:50 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Omarosa's book was easy to dismiss because she isn't credible.

Apparently he has tapes of all the sources relaying these quotes, sources who were in the room when these statements were made and can provide context of dates and locations even what the conversation was that lead to the statements.
(09-05-2018, 10:49 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The phone call was fun. Trump says he wishes Woodward had interviewed him. Woodward says he tried, lists all of the people who he got in contact with, and Trump says he didn't hear from them. Trump then admits he did hear about it from Lindsey Graham. He then gets Kellyanne on the phone who says he submitted the interview request to the right people (even though she has direct contact with Trump...) but they didn't follow up.

Ha!  Suck it, George Washington!
(09-05-2018, 11:55 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Which means you think Mattis is lying.  Sorry, not buying that.  If it was anyone else in the admin I'd be on the same page with you, but I don't buy Mattis making such a complete lie in such a public fashion.

Yes, I don't think a military career makes him more trustworthy than a renown journalist.

I think for someone so disciplined, having something he said in private around people he thought would maintain that privacy is probably frustrating, and it isn't in his best interest to have those doubts about the President known by the public, hence his comments. They're comments that are very similar to many others uttered by frustrated cabinet members and senior staff, so I just can't take him at his word that he has never heard anyone say anything like that, especially when his statement then went on to say that policy making is "messy" and contentious, almost as if to excuse why one might utter frustrations. 

Why is it so hard to believe that a) someone said that Trump was stupid or b) that Trump made fun of Sessions?

I mean, given what we have seen in his public life both those things are likely to have happened.

Having someone deny it is equally as like to happen.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
As to the book: I have no doubt that most of it is based on truth.

As to the Mattis back and forth.

To believe Mattis' side you have to trust one person: GEN Mattis

To believe Woodward's side you have to trust 2 people: Woodward and the anonymous source.

It most likely comes as a surprise to no one that I'm rolling with the retired Marine General
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]