Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bob Woodward's new book FEAR
(09-05-2018, 09:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Meh, you've got to answer the question posed first; I know you hate it.

Does credibility of a witness carry weight?

I can answer that.  It does.

Other than being in the military (what you are citing) what credibility can you show Mattis has?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-05-2018, 09:53 PM)GMDino Wrote: I can answer that.  It does.

Other than being in the military (what you are citing) what credibility can you show Mattis has?

To answer the question: Nothing.

But it's like asking other than delivering presents to all the boys and girl on Christmas what else can you point to Santa Claus doing?

Sometimes your life's work is enough for credibility.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-05-2018, 09:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think you understand the meaning of "contradiction".

Oh, but I do.

Quote:Mattis has motive to lie.

Saying he has a motive is far different than saying he "would lie".  You made a definitive statement.

Quote:Don't know if anonymous source has motive to lie.

We don't know if they have a motivation to tell the truth either.  As they are "anonymous" they are a complete unknown and thus, logically, they must be given no credence at all in either direction.

Quote:Where is "contradiction"?

By being definitive about Mathis, which is far beyond your power to do and being ambiguous about an unknown person all the while giving them the benefit of the doubt.  Contradiction, thy name is Fred.
(09-05-2018, 09:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You do realize that rationality for many ended the morning of 9 NOV 2016?

Perhaps the unknown source is someone with more credibility than a retired 4 star Marine General. We just can't be sure; so we have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

No contradictions here.
(09-05-2018, 03:40 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Equating a military career to being ethically infallible, I could point to dozens and dozens of times throughout history that showed being a soldier does not equate to having ethics, but I’ll just point out one of the most recent cases, Gen. Petreus.

I'll see your Petreus and raise you a Dan Rather.  Point taken, but I'm going to give the credibility nod to carry military men over journalists the vast majority of the time.  The journalist profession is on a down slide it may never recover from.  I sincerely hope it does, but I just don't see it.
(09-05-2018, 10:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: To answer the question: Nothing.

But it's like asking other than delivering presents to all the boys and girl on Christmas what else can you point to Santa Claus doing?

Sometimes your life's work is enough for credibility.

Well Santa isn't real.  Hate to break it to ya.  

So, no...no it's not.

I know plenty of people who were very good at their job who were awful people.

Just being in the military doesn't make him credible just because that's all he's done.

Your biased.
(09-05-2018, 09:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Meh, you've got to answer the question posed first; I know you hate it.

Does credibility of a witness carry weight?

Yes, credibility carries weight.  

Does being a 4 star general mean he can't lie?
(09-05-2018, 10:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well Santa is real.  Hate to break it to ya.  

So, no...no it's not.

I know plenty of people who were very good at their job who were awful people.

Just being in the military doesn't make him credible just because that's all he's done.

Your biased.

I'll take the word of a 4-star General who spent over 40 years in the military over anonymous source every time. If that's biased; then guilty as charged.

(09-05-2018, 10:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll take the word of a 4-star General who spent over 40 years in the military over anonymous source every time. If that's biased; the guilty as charged.

Yes...that's biased.

Unless you know the man personally and believe it wouldn't backtrack on something that was potentially embarrassing.

Your completely biased because...military.  

Oh and because you have to defend your boy Trump at every turn.

That too.   Smirk
(09-05-2018, 10:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, credibility carries weight.  

Does being a 4 star general mean he can't lie?

Sure doesn't.

Matter of fact you've already accused him of it.

(09-05-2018, 09:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually it was about whether or not Mattis was lying. AKA Mattis' actions

Actually, no.  Here is the exact post I responded to.

(09-05-2018, 04:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But apparently journalists and anonymous sources, are some things we can consider to be ethically infallible and it's only because of one reason.

Those keeping score don't like Trump

You claimed the ONLY reason people believe journalists was because they don't like Trump.  Then you get mad when I mention Trump. Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

"You can't talk about Trump when discussing the alleged media bias against Trump!"
(09-05-2018, 10:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually, no.  Here is the exact post I responded to.

You claimed the ONLY reason people believe journalists was because they don't like Trump.  Then you get mad when I mention Trump. Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

"You can't talk about Trump when discussing the alleged media bias against Trump!"

At this point I'm just going to assume the point has escaped you.

I said folks doubt Mattis simply because they don't like Trump and your response was overwhelmingly reasons you don't like Trump.

For the final time: Thanks.

(09-05-2018, 10:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure doesn't.

Then what is your point?
(09-05-2018, 10:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: At this point I'm just going to assume the point has escaped you.

I said folks doubt Mattis simply because they don't like Trump and your response was overwhelmingly reasons you don't like Trump.

So Woodward's reputation for credible reporting is a reason I don't like Trump?

I listed proven facts that would be reasons people would believe what Woodward wrote.  The fact that all you saw was "reasons I don't like Trump" proves that you are incapable of simple logical analysis anymore.  You can't see facts.  Your only reply to any factual argument is "YOU JUST HATE TRUMP!!!!"  You don't even attempt to address the facts.  You just blame everything on "trump hate".
(09-05-2018, 10:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then what is your point?

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................................because no one ever said he cannot lie; which is what you asked.

The point is his life's work gives him credibility and I'm pretty sure you've already agreed with that.

And to cut short your next question: Being a Military General with over 40 years of service doesn't give him xray vision.

(09-05-2018, 10:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll take the word of a 4-star General who spent over 40 years in the military over anonymous source every time. If that's biased; then guilty as charged.

So even though it has been proven over and over again that generals lie you refuse to believe it.

And then you brag about being so naïve?
(09-05-2018, 11:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So Woodward's reputation for credible reporting is a reason I don't like Trump?

I listed proven facts that would be reasons people would believe what Woodward wrote.  The fact that all you saw was "reasons I don't like Trump" proves that you are incapable of simple logical analysis anymore.  You can't see facts.  Your only reply to any factual argument is "YOU JUST HATE TRUMP!!!!"  You don't even attempt to address the facts.  You just blame everything on "trump hate".

This is why I said overwhelmingly; as opposed to only. Your tired retorts are as easy to predict as what time it will be in 5 minutes.

At this point I kinda feel sorry for you; so I'm going to stop now.

(09-05-2018, 11:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This is why I said overwhelmingly; as opposed to only. Your tired retorts are as easy to predict as what time it will be in 5 minutes.

At this point I kinda feel sorry for you; so I'm going to stop now.

Before you go could you tell me again how I am supposed to address the issue of the media bias against Trump without mentioning Trump?

Smirk
(09-05-2018, 11:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The point is his life's work gives him credibility and I'm pretty sure you've already agreed with that.

Actually, no, not at all.

Here are his quotes about Theranos where he served on the board until 2016.

“Theranos had demonstrated a commitment to investing in and developing technologies that can make a difference in people’s lives, including for the severely wounded and ill,” Mattis told The Washington Post. “I had quickly seen tremendous potential in the technologies Theranos develops, and I have the greatest respect for the company’s mission and integrity.”

Now they have been exposed as a total fraud.
For those that support the validity of anonymous sources:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/opinion/trump-white-house-anonymous-resistance.html

I hope no one real questions these thoughts. Because we can say they have the ability to lie.