Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bobby Hart Re-Signed
(03-12-2019, 02:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There have been some outliers. But, it's rare. I think there were aspects of the Iloka cut that weren't publicized.

Yeah, it's rare but it's happened and happened more often recently. I don't worry as much about them cutting under-performing players as their roster construction tbh
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:42 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Looks like he’s afraid of the gym much like he’s afraid to put his body in between the defender n Dalton. Body looks soft as hell.

That’s what I was thinking.....very soft. I can see why gets overpowered at the point of attack.
Reply/Quote
We could still draft a tackle imo. Even a top 15 pick like Dillard could take a year to develop. And I'm not certain Glenn is an answer either.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You actually see that a decent but with O-Lineman. Most aren't ripped. Most look like that.

Ironically, one of the things that got Ced drafted was he looked lean and muscular. But, he didn't have core strength apparently.

Not meaning “ripped” but usually they have broad shoulders and barrel chests. He just looks narrow to me.
Reply/Quote
Dehner's analysis of the signing and contract...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/03/12/deeper-look-bobby-hart-deal-fallout-cincinnati-bengals-nfl-free-agency/3140892002/

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 01:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Bengals.com makes it sound like he's the starter:

Bobby Hart got on the plane in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Monday night feeling like he did when he got drafted in the seventh round by the Giants four years ago. But now he’s a ripe old 24, a veteran of four NFL seasons and the right tackle the Bengals believe can help the Zac Taylor Era get off on the right foot.

“I was telling my wife I feel like a rookie. I’m staring at my life straight ahead of me,” said Hart, who signed his three-year deal Tuesday morning at Paul Brown Stadium. “I’m only 24, but with four years under my belt, the experiences I’ve had and to see what I’ve seen, I’m just ready to go out and try to accomplish my goals.”

Taylor’s new coaching staff has spent its first month sifting through college and pro tape at the direction of the player personnel department looking to get a feel for what the coaches want and new offensive line coach Jim Turner made it quite clear he’d like Hart. He liked how hard Hart played and how athletic he is.

There were moments Hart struggled. He allowed 10 sacks, according to Pro Football Focus, while leading the league with nine false starts. But who didn’t struggle last season on an offense that lost quarterback Andy Dalton for the last five games, wide receiver A.J. Green for the last eight and tight end Tyler Eifert for the last 12?

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-get-a-deal-with-hart

There’s the Hobspin handed down from the FO. Hart was bad because of Dalton and Green being hurt. Wtf???
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:51 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yeah, it's rare but it's happened and happened more often recently. I don't worry as much about them cutting under-performing players as their roster construction tbh

It doesn't happen enough, imo, and it plays into how the roster is constructed.

Our obsessions with limiting dead money and stockpiling compensatory picks makes us keep dead weight on the roster when we could be cutting those players and putting that money towards roster improvements. Other than avoiding some dead money, I can't see any good reason to keep Burfict on this roster. His time has passed, and he was Marvin's pet.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 03:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It doesn't happen enough, imo, and it plays into how the roster is constructed.

Our obsessions with limiting dead money and stockpiling compensatory picks makes us keep dead weight on the roster when we could be cutting those players and putting that money towards roster improvements. Other than avoiding some dead money, I can't see any good reason to keep Burfict on this roster. His time has passed, and he was Marvin's pet.

No, it hasn't, but it's got better the past few years and this off-season with Tez is a good indicator of it they'll continue with BAU or change that narrative. We still have time to see how this shakes (n bake) out. I'm willing to give it some time to see what happens from now til start of the season. It's supposed to be a clean slate of everything and change was coming. We'll see. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 03:06 PM)pally Wrote: Dehner's analysis of the signing and contract...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/03/12/deeper-look-bobby-hart-deal-fallout-cincinnati-bengals-nfl-free-agency/3140892002/

I'd say he's pretty spot on.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:51 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yeah, it's rare but it's happened and happened more often recently. I don't worry as much about them cutting under-performing players as their roster construction tbh

Why even sign underperforming guys in the 1st place though?

A line can have 1 weaklink...2 at most. Ours has 4.

Now maybe Glenn gets healthy and it's only 3, but Glenn has been injured each of the last 3 years. He's just a freakishly big guy that I doubt is ever really healthy.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 03:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'd say he's pretty spot on.....

ie...No better options. But, not a good option by far.

We get to check off a box that says RT on roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 03:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'd say he's pretty spot on.....

I tend to agree, I see Hart as a 1 year rental for 7 million  if he does not progress up with the Bengals...much lower than some of these other tackles that are not high rated either are getting especially unfront $$.... 

we have zero depth anyway at tackle so we are going to have to fill in draft and a late FA cast off or cut so i can live with bringing Hart back knowing that it will cost us max 9 million...  
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 03:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I tend to agree, I see Hart as a 1 year rental for 7 million  if he does not progress up with the Bengals...much lower than some of these other tackles that are not high rated either are getting especially unfront $$.... 

we have zero depth anyway at tackle so we are going to have to fill in draft and a late FA cast off or cut so i can live with bringing Hart back knowing that it will cost us max 9 million...  

Right.  Initially, I was fuming, but once the details emerged it made a little sense.  I'm not a fan of his play, nor paying him to fail, but with only one tackle on the roster, you had to sign someone.  The deal isn't all that bad if he at least plays as well (bad) as he did last season.  The cap has gone up, and average tackles got paid big bucks yesterday.  If Taylor is worth 13 mil, then a guy like Hart is worth 5.4 with outs.

Reply/Quote
https://overthecap.com/player/bobby-hart/4074/

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 03:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: ie...No better options. But, not a good option by far.

We get to check off a box that says RT on roster.

It wasn't a very good year for tackles in FA, and two guys that actually graded similarly got PAID.  Shitty year for us to only have one T on the roster going in.....and we're STILL reeling from the Ole' hi and Fisher drafts. This is what that horrible draft nets us, unfortunately.  I'm sure no Bobby Hart fan....don't get me wrong, but the deal is not as bad as it was on the face.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 03:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: Right.  Initially, I was fuming, but once the details emerged it made a little sense.  I'm not a fan of his play, nor paying him to fail, but with only one tackle on the roster, you had to sign someone.  The deal isn't all that bad if he at least plays as well (bad) as he did last season.  The cap has gone up, and average tackles got paid big bucks yesterday.  If Taylor is worth 13 mil, then a guy like Hart is worth 5.4 with outs.

Comparing a bad contract to another bad one makes little sense. Hart is essentially the worst RT in the league, Taylor is seriously overpaid now and will probably be cut in a year or two to save cap space. This was either an idiotic move or a panic move but it is a bad move all the same. Hart blows, sucks, etc. He is awful. Honestly this is just like when they re-signed Rey M at $5M per year when no other team would even give him a sniff. Let the best players walk away but overpay the average or below average ones. Brilliant player and cap management. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
It's not like they still aren't interested in drafting a tackle early. They were very interested in Dalton Risner at Kansas States pro day.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 04:03 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Comparing a bad contract to another bad one makes little sense. Hart is essentially the worst RT in the league, Taylor is seriously overpaid now and will probably be cut in a year or two to save cap space. This was either an idiotic move or a panic move but it is a bad move all the same. Hart blows, sucks, etc. He is awful. Honestly this is just like when they re-signed Rey M at $5M per year when no other team would even give him a sniff. Let the best players walk away but overpay the average or below average ones. Brilliant player and cap management. 

You'll get no argument from me on that, and I'm not really advocating the signing.  The team was over the barrel because of Piano Man's pet projects.  I'm looking at it like this:  Bobby Hart, or Ole'hi/Fisher.  I bet even Andy agrees with me on that, no matter how bad Hart was last season. LMAO

EDIT: I was more talking about the state of the T market vs comparing the deals.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 04:05 PM)Synric Wrote: It's not like they still aren't interested in drafting a tackle early. They were very interested in Dalton Risner at Kansas States pro day.

Risner can play C, G and OT. I'd guess he would probably play RG for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 04:08 PM)MentalRage Wrote: Risner can play C, G and OT. I'd guess he would probably play RG for the Bengals.

There were scouts that said Risner should be a 7th Round pick.

Of course we'd lock into him!
Reply/Quote