Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
Bobby Hart had a very good season in 2019.
In 2019 Bobby Hart played 92 more snaps than he did in 2018 (1086 to 994), but even more important the Bengals had 85 more passing plays (attempts + sacks) than 2018 (664 to 579).  Yet Hart only allowed about a third as many sacks in 2019 as 2018 (4 to 11.5) and he cut his penalties in half (12 to 6).  Only 2 of Harts 6 penalties were holding.

There were 64 players that started at least 8 games as an OT last year and played at least 500 snaps.  If you look at snaps per (sacks allowed + holding penalties) Hart ranked 13th among those 64.  He also ranked 25th in sacks per snap. 

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/2/18/21142328/2019-offensive-line-pass-blocking-review 

Since stats on O-linemen are kind of obscure I think a lot of people hate Hart based on 2018.  I am starting to see why the Bengals had faith in him.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 04:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2019 Bobby Hart played almost 92 more snaps than he did in 2018 (1086 to 994), but even more important the Bengals had 85 more passing plays (attempts + sacks) than 2018 (664 to 579).  Yet Hart only allowed about a third as many sacks in 2019 as 2018 (4 to 11.5) and he cut his penalties in half (12 to 6).  Only 2 of Harts 6 penalties were holding.

There were 64 players that started at least 8 games as an OT last year and played at least 500 snaps.  If you look at snaps per (sacks allowed + holding penalties) Hart ranked 13th among those 64.  He also ranked 25th in sacks per snap. 

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/2/18/21142328/2019-offensive-line-pass-blocking-review 

Since stats on O-linemen are kind of obscure I think a lot of people hate Hart based on 2018.  I am starting to see why the Bengals had faith in him.

Almost 92 more snaps?
Reply/Quote
Bengals also had the craziest year running the ball I have ever seen.

The first half of the season the Bengals were not just bad at running the ball. They were dead last and on pace to be one of the worst rush offenses in league history (59.5 yds/gm, 3.17 yd/att, zero rush td by RB)

But over the final 8 weeks of the season the Bengals ranked 6th in the league in rush yds/game (130.1) and 13th in yards per attempt (4.43). Our run blocking still could use some improvement, but it is not the hopeless nightmare it was the first half of the season.
Reply/Quote
Grading Oline isn’t just sacks + penalties. How many hurries did he give up? How many assignments did he miss? There are also new metrics like pass block/run block win rates. What were Mixons splits when running left versus running right? How often did Hart get help from the TE?
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 04:32 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Almost 92 more snaps?

I originally said "almost 100".
Reply/Quote
Interesting. I'd be curious to see some other numbers, if anyone is ambitious and generous enough to find them.

-PFF grade for position
-Pressures allowed
-Rushing Grade

My eyes told me he was again below average. Pehaps not as bad as the season prior, but a player we'd be better off without. But maybe my eyes were wrong.
Reply/Quote
We definitely need more wins than penalties this coming season.

Joe approved Joe
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 04:35 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Grading Oline isn’t just sacks + penalties. How many hurries did he give up? How many assignments did he miss? There are also new metrics like pass block/run block win rates. What were Mixons splits when running left versus running right? How often did Hart get help from the TE?

I'll look to find as many of those stats as I can.

Just as soon as you predict where Hart will rank in them.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 04:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Interesting. I'd be curious to see some other numbers, if anyone is ambitious and generous enough to find them.

-PFF grade for position
-Pressures allowed
-Rushing Grade

My eyes told me he was again below average. Pehaps not as bad as the season prior, but a player we'd be better off without. But maybe my eyes were wrong.

PFF keeps track of some interesting stats, but their individual player rankings are useless.  And I am sure his run block stats look below average unless you can get splits separating the first half of the season from the second.

Pressures allowed is a very important stat.  Football Outsiders tallies "blown blocks" on both run plays and pass plays.  On pass plays they include all blown blocks that lead to a sack, pressure, hurry, holding penalty, or QB hit.  But I won't have the numbers until they release their almanac in June.

The stat I would really like to see is the NextGen "Pass blocking win percentage".  It uses the GPS tracking devices on the individual players to determine when a pass rusher gets closer to the QB than the pass blocker.  The split is 2.5 seconds.  The blocker wins if he holds his block longer.  The rusher wins if he gets by the blocker before that.  Unfortunately all I can find is the top ten for OTs and Hart is not among them.
Reply/Quote
Hart isn't a top quality RT. He isn't as bad as we all feel he is though. He is a average to below average RT. Meaning 50% of the teams in the NFL would gladly take him as their starting tackle. Good team wouldn't give him the salary the Bengals did a year ago. He is worth roughly about 60-75% of what the Bengals paid him. If he continues to improve, and I think that is their thinking, he could end up being a solid RT holding down the right side. With Williams on the left that would be a good combo for any QB. With the C being decent improve play on the left and right side would improve the interior play as well.

This is probably why Callahan said what he said....I believe he knows the team needs to upgrade their guard position but what the Bengals have is an average OL, that is if Williams can play to a high level.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, Hart has been improving. He is not as bad as some say.

I think he could be a great back up. Joe
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 05:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Hart has been improving. He is not as bad as some say.

Lol an expensive backup 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bobby Hart didnt have a bad second half of the season.

The first half the offense struggled as a whole because the outside stretch runs werent doing anything and lack of points gave opposing defenses more chances to Tee Off as pass rushers creating more sacks and pressures. Second half of the year the run game forced defenses to play run first but lack of receiving threats forced the QB to hang on to the ball which created sacks and pressures.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 04:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'll look to find as many of those stats as I can.

Just as soon as you predict where Hart will rank in them.

I predict he’s in the lower 50% of tackles in the league in all those stats. Just mediocre isn’t good enough for me if the team wants to win a Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 05:33 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I predict he’s in the lower 50% of tackles in the league in all those stats. 

Lower 50% of "starting" tackles, right?
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 05:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Hart has been improving. He is not as bad as some say.

I think he would be a great backup too, and I think somehow thats where he's heading.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals don't upgrade their RT via FA or the draft, it's my opinion that Fred Johnson will be the starting RT. He will out-play Hart during Training Camp and pre-season.

My $.02...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Hart is serviceable. He improved over a years time
But he needs competition at RT.
He was rewarded with a nice contract and handed
The job in 2019.
Here's the kicker. RT is now just as important as LT on
The oline. If you can upgrade from Hart then by all means
Do it.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 05:21 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Lol an expensive backup 

Hey, it ain't my money.  Mellow 

(02-27-2020, 05:36 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I think he would be a great backup too, and I think somehow thats where he's heading.

Probably. 

Thinking at the very least Fred Johnson will take his spot if he continues to play the way he did those last couple games.

(02-27-2020, 05:36 PM)JSR18 Wrote: If the Bengals don't upgrade their RT via FA or the draft, it's my opinion that Fred Johnson will be the starting RT. He will out-play Hart during Training Camp and pre-season.

My $.02...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feel the same.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2020, 05:36 PM)JSR18 Wrote: If the Bengals don't upgrade their RT via FA or the draft, it's my opinion that Fred Johnson will be the starting RT. He will out-play Hart during Training Camp and pre-season.

(02-27-2020, 05:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thinking at the very least Fred Johnson will take his spot if he continues to play the way he did those last couple games.

Johnson is Westerman v2.0.  Plays one game and everyone falls in love with him.  Johnson won't be starting for the Bengals in 2020 unless it is due to injury.
Reply/Quote