Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bodine = Dalton???
Reading through the Bodine interest thread it just dawned on me: Finkle is Einhorn.

Seriously. Hear me out on this one. Indulge me for just a moment and follow me down the rabbit hole to see why I predict that the Bengals keep with the status quo and resign Russell Bodine. THINK ABOUT IT. He's the Andy Dalton of the offensive line. I mean, like, the EXACT same guy. Which means the Bengals probably love him....

- Best quality is that he's "reliable" (shows up for work every day).
- Doesn't make anyone around him actually any better nor makes up for their deficiencies.
-  Only plays well when the guys around him play well.
- Has roughly 2 great games a season.
- About the same(ish) as when they drafted him. Give or take.
- Looks lost at times.
- Prone to the occasional horrific, soul crushing game that heavily contributes to a loss.
- Does his best work pre-snap before the ball is in play.
- Has embarrassing prime time "lowlight" involving JJ Watt. For those who have white washed that out of existence, I offer you a refresher (click the link when it pops up):

I was going to ninja this, but now, after typing it all out and reviewing the data, I think that anyone who's a huge Dalton guy would be a huge fan of resigning Bodine. They're basically the same quality player, just different positions.

- Oh, wait! I almost forgot... "Good guy off the field." You know, where it really counts. Ninja

Seriously, does anyone else see similarities? Other than a few meaningless probowls after everyone good dropped out and 1 strong half a season, aren't these two guys strangely similar?
Reply/Quote
Got just a smigent too much time on your hands? Seriously, take a moment and spend that extra few seconds to pick belly button lint and your life will change 100 fold overnight ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2018, 06:34 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Reading through the Bodine interest thread it just dawned on me: Finkle is Einhorn.

Seriously. Hear me out on this one. Indulge me for just a moment and follow me down the rabbit hole to see why I predict that the Bengals keep with the status quo and resign Russell Bodine. THINK ABOUT IT. He's the Andy Dalton of the offensive line. I mean, like, the EXACT same guy. Which means the Bengals probably love him....

- Doesn't make anyone around him actually any better nor makes up for their deficiencies.
- Looks lost at times.
- Prone to the occasional horrific, soul crushing game that heavily contributes to a loss.
- Has embarrassing prime time "lowlight" involving JJ Watt. For those who have white washed that out of existence, I offer you a refresher (click the link when it pops up):

I was going to ninja this, but now, after typing it all out and reviewing the data, I think that anyone who's a huge Dalton guy would be a huge fan of resigning Bodine. They're basically the same quality player, just different positions.

- Oh, wait! I almost forgot... "Good guy off the field." You know, where it really counts. Ninja

Seriously, does anyone else see similarities? Other than a few meaningless probowls after everyone good dropped out and 1 strong half a season, aren't these two guys strangely similar?

[Image: 511a45fedabe8ffa988f23fc19b652a21ff88ef8...cf80f9.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Not at all since Dalton is good and Bodine sux.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'm going to agree with everything you wrote not because I actually agree with any of it, but I can see where this is heading and I don't want you to feel like everyone is picking on you. In fact you're well deserving of a participation trophy for it .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Bodine = Dalton?

Awesome, will Bodine get to the Pro Bowl next year?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Bodine has always been near the bottom of PFF rankings for his position. Dalton is usually at, above or slightly below the middle of most rankings.

Next.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2018, 10:53 AM)grampahol Wrote: Got just a smigent too much time on your hands? Seriously, take a moment and spend that extra few seconds to pick belly button lint and your life will change 100 fold overnight ..

I stopped reading two sentences in.
Reply/Quote
You want me to follow you down the rabbit hole...

DURING RABBIT HUNTING SEASON?!?!

Not a chance!
Reply/Quote
WTF Rolleyes Facepalm

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2018, 12:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: WTF Rolleyes Facepalm

Followed by:   Hilarious
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Other than Shake throwing out that they are maybe 8 spots apart in PFF rankings, none of you have offered any counters to my points in how they're similar. Please, show me how I'm wrong or offer a counterpoint to what I said. If you can't... then, I must be right.

One guy said I have too much time on my hands.... but he has 4000ish posts compared to my 900. I appreciate the irony/hypocrisy, but if you can't bring a counter perspective... I'll just assume that your comments are sour grapes.

I stand by my point that they are more similar than different when it comes to what they bring to the team, but am happy/willing to change my mind if anyone can offer some things up? If you can't, no worries. I'll just file the responses away under "Haters gonna hate, homers gonna home".
Reply/Quote
In all fairness, Dalton is a top 15-20 QB. Top 12 when playing well.

Bodine is a bottom 2-3 C, bottom 5 when playing well.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 12:48 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Other than Shake throwing out that they are maybe 8 spots apart in PFF rankings, none of you have offered any counters to my points in how they're similar. Please, show me how I'm wrong or offer a counterpoint to what I said. If you can't... then, I must be right.

One guy said I have too much time on my hands.... but he has 4000ish posts compared to my 900. I appreciate the irony/hypocrisy, but if you can't bring a counter perspective... I'll just assume that your comments are sour grapes.

I stand by my point that they are more similar than different when it comes to what they bring to the team, but am happy/willing to change my mind if anyone can offer some things up? If you can't, no worries. I'll just file the responses away under "Haters gonna hate, homers gonna home".

Well, to be honest, I thought that you were just being sarcastic in the OP.  However, I will point to Andy Dalton having a fantastic season in 2015, prior to the injury.  Russell Bodine has never even reached the middle of the pack, as far as being a good Center goes.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Should be titled …….Bodine = Dalton running for his life

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 12:48 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Other than Shake throwing out that they are maybe 8 spots apart in PFF rankings, none of you have offered any counters to my points in how they're similar. Please, show me how I'm wrong or offer a counterpoint to what I said. If you can't... then, I must be right.

Personally I don't care what you do with the responses to an obvious troll thread.
Reply/Quote

Wait, you were serious?  Shocked

Look man, Bodine is not even average.  Come on PDub, you're better than this, I've read it on here.....you're way better than this.  If you compared Dalton to Boling, or maybe even big Dre.....you might have something.  However, Bodine is CONSISTENTLY among the worst at his position, not middle of the pack, THE WORST.  Besides rankings, watching the games should tell you all you need to know.  This is pure trolling......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2018, 06:34 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Reading through the Bodine interest thread it just dawned on me: Finkle is Einhorn.

- Looks lost at times.

[Image: 21aqbc.jpg]

You want a counterargument to a stupid post? Fine. Show me the season that Bodine was in the league MVP discussion. Dalton's was 2015. Don't worry. I won't hold my breath.  Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 09:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Personally I don't care what you do with the responses to an obvious troll thread.

(01-30-2018, 10:13 AM)Wyche Wrote: Wait, you were serious?  Shocked

Look man, Bodine is not even average.  Come on PDub, you're better than this, I've read it on here.....you're way better than this.  If you compared Dalton to Boling, or maybe even big Dre.....you might have something.  However, Bodine is CONSISTENTLY among the worst at his position, not middle of the pack, THE WORST.  Besides rankings, watching the games should tell you all you need to know.  This is pure trolling......

At first, I had written this as a funny response to the "Bengals have interest in Bodine" thread. But, after I typed it out, the realization of the similarities actually had me curious. If Andy Dalton played a different position, wouldn't he basically = Bodine? Or Maualuga, LaFell, Jeremey Hill? I mean, outside of the 1 (looking like miraculous) season in 2015 - they've all kind of had similar types of seasons, haven't they?
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 12:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: [Image: 21aqbc.jpg]

You want a counterargument to a stupid post? Fine. Show me the season that Bodine was in the league MVP discussion. Dalton's was 2015. Don't worry. I won't hold my breath.  Whatever

Show me an NFL MVP candidate who plays center. I mean, come on now.

I do get your point of Dalton possibly having a higher ceiling than Bodine - but Bodine's coach has been outed as a derp. Could Bodine's ceilign be higher with proper coaching? In comparison, Dalton's had outstanding coaching around him: Gruden (QB oriented), Hue (QB oriented), Zampese (a strong QB coach). I guess I just don't see Dalton's 2015 season as a standard for him, but rather a spike on his performance chart before he leveled back out and crashed down to Earth. Even in 2015 it was more of a great 1/2 a season before he started tapering down.

Kind of like Jeremy Hill's rookie year. People gave up on Hill for a similar complete drop in performance, but not Dalton over the same time period. Is it because of position?

If Andy Dalton was a guard, WR, tackle, or RB would we accept these performances/seasons or would fans want him replaced like they did Hill, LaFell, Maualuga, Bodine? I think that over their careers and 1 great year from Dalton, Dalton is more similar than different to those guys when it comes to on the field consistency and performance week to week year to year.

Even thought my original post was done in a fun/funny way, I think it's a fair question or comparison.
Reply/Quote