Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bodine has a point
(08-21-2015, 09:02 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Oh, I don't think Alexander is terrible, but you asked who drafts a center with snapping issues, and wasn't Bodine "Paul's guy"??

I could be wrong about that, but I remember talk when he was drafted about Bodine being hand picked by Paul.

He didn't display and snapping issues last season. I cant remember one botched snap last year during the regular season. So saying Boding cant snap is a stretch. Yes hes having issues at camp, but that's camp. Im not worried. When he starts sailing them over Andy's head in Week 1, then ill be worried.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 09:11 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: He didn't display and snapping issues last season. I cant remember one botched snap last year during the regular season. So saying Boding cant snap is a stretch. Yes hes having issues at camp, but that's camp. Im not worried. When he starts sailing them over Andy's head in Week 1, then ill be worried.

Okay, so I guess I have to explain it even further, again.

It was a joke. Hee-hee, ha-ha. I thought it was an obvious one, but apparently not.

Bodine isn't very good in general and I'm not the biggest PA fan in the world, but I wasn't super cereal with my picture of Paul with a piano in response to "who drafts a C with snapping issues?!".
Reply/Quote
I was tolds by a coach to look at an O-linemans knuckles when he put his hand in the ground. If they were white that meant he was putting more weight forward on his hand and was getting ready to fire out and run block. If his knuckles were not white then he had his weight back getting ready to drop into pass protection.

However i don't think what Bodine is working on is a tell. I'll bet it has more to do with getting his snapping hand back in front of him to engage the D-lineman. Long snapping is just like throwing. You need to "follow through" to a certain extent to get an accurate snap. But a center has to jerk is snapping hand back forward as quickly as possible to punch the defender. So I am guessing he is working on getting the ball out of his hand quicker and that is effecting his accuracy.

Bodine was not great last year, but his level of play was not so low that it kept us from having one of the best O-lines in the league. This year I expect him to improve like almost every other rookie does in his second season.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 10:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I was tolds by a coach to look at an O-linemans knuckles when he put his hand in the ground.  If they were white that meant he was putting more weight forward on his hand and was getting ready to fire out and run block.  If his knuckles were not white then he had his weight back getting ready to drop into pass protection.

However i don't think what Bodine is working on is a tell.  I'll bet it has more to do with getting his snapping hand back in front of him to engage the D-lineman.  Long snapping is just like throwing.  You need to "follow through" to a certain extent to get an accurate snap.  But a center has to jerk is snapping hand back forward as quickly as possible to punch the defender. So I am guessing he is working on getting the ball out of his hand quicker and that is effecting his accuracy.

Bodine was not great last year, but his level of play was not so low that it kept us from having one of the best O-lines in the league.  This year I expect him to improve like almost every other rookie does in his second season.

you cant see any of these guys knuckles fred.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 01:31 AM)treee Wrote: I believe it was that Chad wouldn't completely snap his chin strap on when it was a running play.

Saw that a bunch of times out of Chad but don't know it was only during running plays.  I recall one time Ray Lewis hitting him in Baltimore and his helmet flying off like it was a pumpkin shot out of a cannon.  To this day I have never seen a helmet come off like that.  Heck, for a minute I thought his head was still in it (just kidding).  Doubt seriously he fastened his chin strap on that pass play.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 11:32 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: you cant see any of these guys knuckles fred.

Good point.

When I played the O-line didn't wear gloves.

(or facemasks)
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 11:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Good point.

When I played the O-line didn't wear gloves.

(or facemasks)

(or jocks)
Reply/Quote
Bodine could have a point, however he can't grab a young desperate for a roster spot Dlineman to work with after practice? Only being able to practice something during practice seems a little unfortunate given that he should be able to work on some stuff after practice like other position players can.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 01:07 AM)jowczarski Wrote: To clarify - it's not hand placement on the ball, so there are no "tells" there. It's a blocking technique - or that hand action coming off the snap and into his block. It happens in a split second, and he wouldn't elaborate on how exactly that technique works or how it's different - but insisted it's part of his protections. In that regard, it's impossible to truly do that unless you're going 11-on-11 and actually blocking other people (especially a guy like Atkins).

Thanks Jim, makes me feel better. Center is the one position on the team i have been a little
concerned with. I keep hoping Bodine is the guy, he was afterall PA's guy from the Draft.

But i have heard from certain people that Bodine just doesn't have a high ceiling. He is great
in the weight room but that does not always translate to the football field. I am just hoping
this is all BS.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 11:41 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Saw that a bunch of times out of Chad but don't know it was only during running plays.  I recall one time Ray Lewis hitting him in Baltimore and his helmet flying off like it was a pumpkin shot out of a cannon.  To this day I have never seen a helmet come off like that.  Heck, for a minute I thought his head was still in it (just kidding).  Doubt seriously he fastened his chin strap on that pass play.

Chad used to tighten his gloves (pull them up) at the line of scrimmage when the ball was going his way. That was a giveaway brought to his attention by a free agent we signed (can't remember who).

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 12:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bodine could have a point, however he can't grab a young desperate for a roster spot Dlineman to work with after practice? Only being able to practice something during practice seems a little unfortunate given that he should be able to work on some stuff after practice like other position players can.

The problem is that it requires full contact.   These guys are not going to burn up their legs or risk injury doing full contact drills after practice.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 12:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks Jim, makes me feel better. Center is the one position on the team i have been a little
concerned with. I keep hoping Bodine is the guy, he was afterall PA's guy from the Draft.

But i have heard from certain people that Bodine just doesn't have a high ceiling. He is great
in the weight room but that does not always translate to the football field. I am just hoping
this is all BS.

Me to, Center is probably one of the top 3 positions of concern on the team. I hope Bodine can get it done, or if not somebody can step in and anchor that line. It could be a very good one but we have to get the interior shored up.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 11:41 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Saw that a bunch of times out of Chad but don't know it was only during running plays.  I recall one time Ray Lewis hitting him in Baltimore and his helmet flying off like it was a pumpkin shot out of a cannon.  To this day I have never seen a helmet come off like that.  Heck, for a minute I thought his head was still in it (just kidding).  Doubt seriously he fastened his chin strap on that pass play.

If that is the same hit I remember I thought Ray might have killed Chad.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 08:47 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Bodine snapped all through out college too, and there was never a knock on him during that time.

Because the occasional practice snap woes have persisted since Bodine's arrival as a fourth-round pick last May, it's easy to speculate about whether Bengals coaches missed a red flag while scouting him. Did he have these problems before he was a Bengal?

Bodine's former offensive line coach, University of North Carolina associate head coach and co-offensive coordinator Chris Kapilovic told ESPN that Bodine didn't. To him, Bodine's snap performance was on par with other centers.

"Russell did a great job playing for us. I can think of games where maybe two snaps in two years that were a little off," Kapilovic said. "In practices every once in a while there may be some, but it would just be about refocusing with the technique and how he holds the ball and that kind of stuff and it would get fixed at that point. It wasn't a major issue. It's something that pops up with all our centers from time to time, and it's just something they've got to work on every day."
Reply/Quote
“We’re trying different stuff with my hands to try and firm up middle protection and we don’t have it down yet,” Bodine said. “I don’t know when you’re supposed to work on this stuff other than practice. It is practice."

[Image: image.png?w=400&c=1]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 01:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If that is the same hit I remember I thought Ray might have killed Chad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttcp0HdNGrY

It's poor quality, but I think that's the hit you're talking about.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 12:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me to, Center is probably one of the top 3 positions of concern on the team. I hope Bodine can get it done, or if not somebody can step in and anchor that line. It could be a very good one but we have to get the interior shored up.

Very true, the rest of the line is hella stout.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 10:19 PM)Shady Wrote: First off, doesn't he have a point? Evidently, the offense at UNC didn't demand that the center use different grips and techniques for "handling the ball differently to match the pass protection."

Secondly, I'm impressed that centers have different snaps for different protections. Does anyone here know about these things?

Next off-season, Andy will have to invite his WRs and his centers to train with him, I guess.

Again a no win for Andy Dalton. First he is not assertive enough. Then when he calls someone out for playing poorly he is then apparently too assertive. Go figure.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 12:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The problem is that it requires full contact.   These guys are not going to burn up their legs or risk injury doing full contact drills after practice.

Okay I'm willing to let him have it because he hasn't had any problems in a game. But why don't the coaches and Dalton understand then if it's just as simple as practicing a technique? Not trying to be a s.a, but really. He hasn't expressed that with Hue and Dalton? Or if he has they just don't care..... enough to get yelled at in front of everyone and benched repeatedly.

That says something (not good) about Dalton and Hue then. Thanks a lot teammate and coach. You know he is practicing a new technique, and that is what practice is for. Embarrass him in front of the Giants and training camp news crew and fans. With teammates like that, who needs Steeler fans?

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 10:55 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Let's hope this isn't the case. If he grips the ball differently for certain plays then the opposing defense and/or coaches will pick up on it.

I use different grips occasionally too....makes it feel like someone else.
Reply/Quote