Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bombings in the NYC area
(09-19-2016, 07:04 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Just like I'd rather de Blasio not say the NY bombings weren't terrorism, I don't want them jumping to conclusions and saying it was ISIS.

Can't see anything wrong with them saying "potential act of terrorism". 

The problem with what you are wishing would have happened, is that in reality, it is exactly what you hoped would not happen.  It is an Islamic terrorist from inside the US.  Worst thing ever for NY was De Blasio being Mayor.  Crime on all levels had risen under De Blasio's watch, since Guiliani was in office.  (that is a fact, do your own google research)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(09-19-2016, 07:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The problem with what you are wishing would have happened, is that in reality, it is exactly what you hoped would not happen.  It is an Islamic terrorist from inside the US.  Worst thing ever for NY was De Blasio being Mayor.  Crime on all levels had risen under De Blasio's watch, since Guiliani was in office.  (that is a fact, do your own google research)

which is the big issue that sometimes gets overlooked when the discussion is about "this guy of afghani heritage" or "this guy who immigrated from Sudan when he was a toddler." We've got radicals here. Identifying them should be getting more resources and conversation than building walls and candidates jabs.
(09-19-2016, 08:23 PM)Benton Wrote: which is the big issue that sometimes gets overlooked when the discussion is about "this guy of afghani heritage" or "this guy who immigrated from Sudan when he was a toddler." We've got radicals here. Identifying them should be getting more resources and conversation than building walls and candidates jabs.

You make an excellent point, but by the logic of the same, if we were to suspect anyone of heritage to Islamic Nations, that would be profiling, targeting, non-inclusive, and discriminatory.  Folks can't have it both ways.  Either you want to be safe, or you want to welcome anyone..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(09-19-2016, 07:04 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Just like I'd rather de Blasio not say the NY bombings weren't terrorism, I don't want them jumping to conclusions and saying it was ISIS.

Can't see anything wrong with them saying "potential act of terrorism". 

And really, the bombings were terrorism no matter who did them.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-19-2016, 07:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The problem with what you are wishing would have happened, is that in reality, it is exactly what you hoped would not happen.  It is an Islamic terrorist from inside the US.  Worst thing ever for NY was De Blasio being Mayor.  Crime on all levels had risen under De Blasio's watch, since Guiliani was in office.  (that is a fact, do your own google research)

A lot of news must have broken while I was out tonight....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-18-2016, 12:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The always open-minded Mayor Bill deBlassio has already determined the NYC explosion(s) is not linked to terrorism or to the explosion in NJ. He has "condeemed" it as "a very bad incident".

He never said that. myou are just making stuff up.

(09-19-2016, 12:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://gma.yahoo.com/authorities-high-alert-multiple-explosive-devices-found-nyc-102914938--abc-news-topstories.html#

But the man in charge of the city stated it is not terror nnor are they related; so best to just move along.

Direct quote from the story you linked.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said this afternoon there is "every reason to believe this was an act of terror."
(09-19-2016, 07:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:  Worst thing ever for NY was De Blasio being Mayor.  Crime on all levels had risen under De Blasio's watch, since Guiliani was in office.  (that is a fact, do your own google research)

Crime rates have gone up everywhere, not just New York City.

That is a fact.  Do your own Google research instead of just blindly swallowing everything the right wing echo chamber feeds you.
(09-20-2016, 10:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Crime rates have gone up everywhere, not just New York City.

That is a fact.  Do your own Google research instead of just blindly swallowing everything the right wing echo chamber feeds you.

No, not everywhere.  Many urban areas, yes.  I'd be willing to bet that when the UCR for 2016 is released the more than twenty year trend of a drop in crime will continue.
(09-20-2016, 10:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Crime rates have gone up everywhere, not just New York City.

Stop making generalizations with out resources to back it up.
two that I looked at where overall crime rates have gone down from 2013 to 2014.
Cincinnati, KC (Missouri), Oklahoma City, Raleigh (NC), Phoenix, Atlanta

Even when I found 2015 data, it was down for Cincinnati and Atlanta, so I'm not going to check for more.

The number of total year over year crimes in New York City has decreased by 5%.

So who's blindly swallowing everything the left wing echo chamber feeds you?
(09-19-2016, 03:18 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Looks like they just captured the guy alive after a gun fight. No one killed thankfully. http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/19/us/new-york-explosion-investigation/index.html

His name is Billy Sam Gibson, and was a devout southern Baptist his whole life. He is....hahaha just kidding.

His name is actually, let me copy n paste this, Ahmad Khan Rahami. Brief excerpt below from NY Times.

"Mr. Rahami was born on Jan. 23, 1988, in Afghanistan. He was described as a naturalized citizen who had been living with his family in Elizabeth, not far from where he was arrested. Associates said that several years ago Mr. Rahami traveled to his homeland and when he returned, he showed signs of radicalization. The significance of the visit was not immediately clear. It was not known whether he had any links to an overseas terror organization, or whether he had been inspired by such organizations and their propaganda efforts, as others have been."
- http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/20/nyregion/nyc-nj-explosions-ahmad-khan-rahami.html?_r=0

No one could have predicted it....
(09-20-2016, 10:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He never said that. myou are just making stuff up.

Direct quote from the story you linked.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said this afternoon there is "every reason to believe this was an act of terror."

This one is going to blow your mind Fred......He apparently changed his story.

read the first paragraph on the story linked in the OP

Quote:An explosion that rocked Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood and injured at least 29 people appears to have been "an intentional act" -- but not related to terrorism, according to New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio.

So what exactly did I make up? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-19-2016, 03:18 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Looks like they just captured the guy alive after a gun fight. No one killed thankfully. http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/19/us/new-york-explosion-investigation/index.html

His name is Billy Sam Gibson, and was a devout southern Baptist his whole life. He is....hahaha just kidding.

4/5 of this forum just moistened their pants.

(09-20-2016, 05:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So what exactly did I make up? 

Perhaps you were fooled by the story you posted.  I would not be surprised by that.  

Guess you are just ignorant instead of dishonest.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.
(09-20-2016, 05:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Perhaps you were fooled by the story you posted.  I would not be surprised by that.  

Guess you are just ignorant instead of dishonest.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Appreciate the apology. No doubt one of us has been fooled. We'll let folks figure out which one.

(09-20-2016, 05:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: . No doubt one of us has been fooled. We'll let folks figure out which one.

And to help them out I will post what de Blasio actually said.

“Here is what we know: It was intentional, it was a violent act, it was certainly a criminal act, it was a bombing — that’s what we know,” he said on Sunday, flanked by law enforcement officials at Police Headquarters in Lower Manhattan. “To understand there were any specific motivations, political motivations, any connection to an organization — that’s what we don’t know.”

Now let's see how many people think that means "The always open-minded Mayor Bill deBlassio has already determined the NYC explosion(s) is not linked to terrorism"
(09-20-2016, 06:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And to help them out I will post what de Blasio actually said.

“Here is what we know: It was intentional, it was a violent act, it was certainly a criminal act, it was a bombing — that’s what we know,” he said on Sunday, flanked by law enforcement officials at Police Headquarters in Lower Manhattan. “To understand there were any specific motivations, political motivations, any connection to an organization — that’s what we don’t know.”

Now let's see how many people think that means "The always open-minded Mayor Bill deBlassio has already determined the NYC explosion(s) is not linked to terrorism"

I decided to do my own research. The first article certainly paints him as declaring it not terrorism. The further reading, particularly a NYT's article (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/19/nyregion/bill-de-blasio-new-york-explosion.html), makes it clear that he declined to declare it terrorism before they had enough information, but left it open. 

Looks like I've been duped. Appropriate response. Similar to not immediately declaring the PP shooter as a terrorist until his motives were made known. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-20-2016, 06:30 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I decided to do my own research. The first article certainly paints him as declaring it not terrorism. The further reading, particularly a NYT's article (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/19/nyregion/bill-de-blasio-new-york-explosion.html), makes it clear that he declined to declare it terrorism before they had enough information, but left it open. 

Looks like I've been duped. Appropriate response. Similar to not immediately declaring the PP shooter as a terrorist until his motives were made known. 

I too will concede the Good Morning America link made his declaration of not terror seem more definitive than it actually was. After listening to the actual interview, the only fault I can find is him saying there is no credible evidence of terrorist threats against New Yorkers at this time. I think finding a pressure cooker bomb might be credible evidence. 

(09-20-2016, 05:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This one is going to blow your mind Fred......He apparently changed his story.

Here is something that does NOT blow my mind.  Even after you read the story you linked where he called it an act of terrorism you still said this.

(09-19-2016, 12:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote:   But the man in charge of the city stated it is not terror nor are they related; so best to just move along.
(09-20-2016, 06:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is something that does NOT blow my mind.  Even after you read the story you linked where he called it an act of terrorism you still said this.

Yes Fred; as I have conceded the GMA article made his assertion seem more definitive than it actually was. This is why I refereed to his stating it was not terror while posting a link that clearly showed it was terror. In hindsight perhaps it was ill-conceived.