Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Series
So, I've been plowing through some summer reading as of late and wanted to start a thread on books, and specifically series that are out there that anyone may be enjoying.

I've read two series from start to finish this summer.
-Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch
-Raven Saga by Giles Kristian

I've started on the Saxon Series by Bernard Cornwell now. Some of my favorites series out there are the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, and I really enjoyed his Codex Alera series as well. As you might have noticed, I'm a bit of a fantasy nerd, so the Tolkien books (all of them, not just the 4 everyone knows), Harry Potter, and ASOIAF are all obligatory for me.

So anyone else out there find some good series that they want to add in or discuss any of these? Frustration with the likes of GRRM or Jim Butcher on awaiting the next book?
Reply/Quote
The tower series by king is my favorite. Fred saberhagen had a decent one, book of swords.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Depending on what you like to read I know of several you could try. Harold Coyle has a couple of good military series, one set in modern times, the other in the Civil War era. Dan Brown's Robert Langden books are good as well. Sci-fi wise I would suggest Anne McCaffery.

If you fancy fantasy, pick up anything by David Edgings, Raymond E Fiest, Christopher Rowley, Christopher Paolini, or R.A. Salvatore.

If you like alternative history Harry Turtledove is the master. William Forstchen and Newt Gingrich have written some good reads together as well.
Reply/Quote
I'll go with the Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte. It's fifth century, and it's a couple of ex fairly high ranking Roman soldiers who decided they need to build a stronghold in England once the Romans leave. It is ultimately about the Arthurian legend, but most of the series is before Arthur and Arthur as a child. The first two are first person by Arthur's grandfather, and the next 3 or 4 are first person by Merlyn. It has many of the Arthurian legends, but they aren't magical. For instance the Lady in the Lake. Arthur's grandfather finds a meteor in the bottom of a lake that has iron of superior strength that he will one day forge into Excalibur , but in the mean time he fashions into a statue of a lady. The book never actually calls it the lady in the lake, but there it is. And Merlyn isn't some old man, but a young warrior who eventually fosters Arthur. There are just tons of great characters.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I would also add the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. Richard Sharpe in an early 19th century British soldier who begins his career in India and then on to the Peninsular Wars. He is also a bad ass who Wellington hates but wishes he had 1000 more of. As usual for Cornwell, he inserts Sharpe into real historical battles. I resisted reading these for a long time because I just never had that much interest in the Peninsular Wars, but that didn't matter. You become interested. Just learning about what made the British army so superior is fascinating. Hint; endless training.

There are close to 20 books, and they were not written in chronological order, but you can find lists of how they fall chronologically, and I would suggest you read them that way.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Almost forgot one of my all time favorites. It's called the guardians of the flame. It's about a bunch of people that play a game similar to D&D and get magically transported into their game world as the characters they created.
Reply/Quote
Michael or Jeff Sharra have some good stuff. If you're into Civil War books.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 02:39 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Michael or Jeff Sharra have some good stuff. If you're into Civil War books.

And one was made into a really good TV movie and one into an awful cinematic release.

I read an historical fiction book about Gettysburg.  It was fiction in that the main characters were fictional, but it just used them to tell the story of Gettysburg, so I think it was actually an excellent portrayal of the events.  Any way after reading it I went to the Amazon comments section as I always do, and was surprised at the hatred toward "Killer Angels". Especially the portrayal of Chamberlain as some uber-heroic savior of the battle.  

Reply/Quote
I thought it was a good read. I enjoy how he weaves fictional characters into what is probably really close descriptions of actual events. At least in my mind. Looking for other authors with a similar style???
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 03:11 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I thought it was a good read. I enjoy how he weaves fictional characters into what is probably really close descriptions of actual events. At least in my mind. Looking for other authors with a similar style???

Oh I enjoyed it too.  I figured out the other book I read was Cain at Gettysburg.  Funny that one review, and maybe it was a joke, called it predictable.

Reply/Quote
I would also add the Ghengis Khan series by Conn Iggulden, but advise to stop after Ghengis dies. I think it was maybe 3 books.

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 05:40 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I would also add the Ghengis Khan series by Conn Iggulden, but advise to stop after Ghengis dies.  I think it was maybe 3 books.

Totally off subject, but I've been to Mongolia and vast majority refer to Khan as Chinggis 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Ender's game by Orson Scott Card.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 07:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Totally off subject, but I've been to Mongolia and vast majority refer to Khan as Chinggis 

Who would think they didn't know how to pronounce his name in Mongolia. Tongue

Reply/Quote
Man, I haven't read any books, cover to cover, for pleasure, since the Asia Saga by James Clavell.  And, that was back in the late 80's-early 90's.

I've forgotten how much I used to enjoy reading.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 03:11 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I thought it was a good read. I enjoy how he weaves fictional characters into what is probably really close descriptions of actual events. At least in my mind. Looking for other authors with a similar style???

If you like that kind of writing (historical fiction) I've got two authors (a series written by each) you should check out.  The first being C.S. Forester known for the Hornblower novels.  Fantastic series taking you on his many adventures in the British Navy during the Napoleonic wars.  It is an eleven book series starting with "Mr. Midshipman Hornblower" and ending with "Admiral Hornblower in the West Indies".  Brilliant story teller, and gives you a real feel of what it must have been like in the Royal Navy during those times.  Lots of adventure.

The second is George MacDonald Fraser known for the Flashman series.  Flashman is a self described coward who some how manages to come out on top.  Absolutely hilarious books.  T

The back of the book reads:  "Meet Harry Flashman-in the wildly funny and historically accurate cult classic that introduced us to history's greatest adventurer, randiest cad, and most incorrigible scoundrel."

Flashman follows Flashy as he lies, steals, duels and wenches his way from 1839 England to India to the wilds of Afghanistan. Along the way, he survives military incompetence, ambushes, torture, venomous snakes, and vengeful women...and emerges against all odds as a bona fide hero of the realm.

I've read Flashman, Royal Flash, and currently reading Flashmans Lady.  Great books and the best part is that they were made into novels after family had discovered the Flashman Papers and no one knows for sure if it's truly fiction or partly memoirs.
Reply/Quote

If you like Irish history, Trinity by Leon Uris does a good job of that.
Reply/Quote
I'll check them out.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 02:54 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And one was made into a really good TV movie and one into an awful cinematic release.

I read an historical fiction book about Gettysburg.  It was fiction in that the main characters were fictional, but it just used them to tell the story of Gettysburg, so I think it was actually an excellent portrayal of the events.  Any way after reading it I went to the Amazon comments section as I always do, and was surprised at the hatred toward "Killer Angels". Especially the portrayal of Chamberlain as some uber-heroic savior of the battle.  

Both were cinematic releases. I saw Gettysburg in the theater twice when it opened in 93 & was awesome on the big screen. It was packed each time with a few guys decked out in civil war gear. However it was a limited release as only 2 or 3 theaters in Cincy had it because of it's 4 hour length. 

The second one was terrible. I cant even watch it to be honest.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I am always up for a good series of books. Its been a few years, and that was Fire & Ice (Game of Thrones).
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote