Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boomer sees greatness in Burrow
"I know what I see. I see greatness. He could be that guy. That's what the Bengals need. That's what every team needs."

"He was a point guard. All-state basketball player. That's what I want to see in my quarterback. A multi-dimensional personality who plays many sports. Point guard and quarterback are very similar. That's what I love about who he is as a kid."

"Too much of an athlete. He's an underappreciated athlete. He reminds me, in that regard, I don't know if when Patrick Mahomes came out that people knew the kind of athlete he was. Great baseball player. Great basketball player. He kind of found quarterback because it was awesome and great and it was challenging. I think that's what this kid is. We all do. Those that played the game recognize why we picked this sport. There's nothing like playing this position. Especially when you're successful."

"This kid is different. This kid is special. Mr. Ohio Football. Very few times do you have the right guy from the right area that carries himself at a very high, mature level."

"He had these pro concepts at LSU. He's not a dummy. Joe Brady a very good influence on him. I think he has the goods to be good right out of the gate. I hope as good as Daniel Jones. Just don't fumble the ball."

"Coming in there is tough under those circumstances. I thought he held up really well. We've had a lot guys come through there that you really have to wonder about A couple of years ago Coach Cowher met (Browns future quarterback) Baker Mayfield on the set and said, 'That's my guy and I'll go to war with that guy.' A guy like Coach Cowher is a guy like Baker Mayfield needs. He just got in a bad situation like most people do when they get the wrong coach. I think Joe Burrow can be that guy. I felt it meeting him and talking to him."

"I don't see how the Bengals don't pick him."
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 05:08 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: "I don't see how the Bengals don't pick him."

Preaching to the converted, Boomer.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Damn rights Boomer. Glad he sees the same things I see in Burrow. A QB that could be GREAT. Wink
Reply/Quote
WhoDey2 Straight outta former Super Bowl & a MVP QBs mouth...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I was glad to see it on the official Bengals site. Excited to get this just done with and moving forward, April can't come fast enough.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
Getting the first overall pic is about to pay off for you guys! This guy is special on the football field. He is tenacious, smart, more athletic than you would think... all the intangibles you want at the most important position on the field. His last year at LSU will be talked about for years! I truly believe he will be great at the next level. I know Bengal fans are familiar with great QBs (Palmer, Anderson, Esiason). Joe just might pass them all up!
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 08:59 PM)Daotherbengaltigers Wrote: Getting the first overall pic is about to pay off for you guys! This guy is special on the football field. He is tenacious, smart, more athletic than you would think... all the intangibles you want at the most important position on the field. His last year at LSU will be talked about for years! I truly believe he will be great at the next level. I know Bengal fans are familiar with great QBs (Palmer, Anderson, Esiason). Joe just might pass them all up!

Nice to hear this from an LSU fan honestly. I really think Burrow is a can't miss pick with his smarts, accuracy, leadership, 
pocket awareness and just his drive to prove the doubters wrong. I just hope when the Bengals Draft him we make the 
effort to build the team around him and make him comfortable.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 05:08 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: "I know what I see. I see greatness. He could be that guy. That's what the Bengals need. That's what every team needs."

"He was a point guard. All-state basketball player. That's what I want to see in my quarterback. A multi-dimensional personality who plays many sports. Point guard and quarterback are very similar. That's what I love about who he is as a kid."

"Too much of an athlete. He's an underappreciated athlete. He reminds me, in that regard, I don't know if when Patrick Mahomes came out that people knew the kind of athlete he was. Great baseball player. Great basketball player. He kind of found quarterback because it was awesome and great and it was challenging. I think that's what this kid is. We all do. Those that played the game recognize why we picked this sport. There's nothing like playing this position. Especially when you're successful."

"This kid is different. This kid is special. Mr. Ohio Football. Very few times do you have the right guy from the right area that carries himself at a very high, mature level."

"He had these pro concepts at LSU. He's not a dummy. Joe Brady a very good influence on him. I think he has the goods to be good right out of the gate. I hope as good as Daniel Jones. Just don't fumble the ball."

"Coming in there is tough under those circumstances. I thought he held up really well. We've had a lot guys come through there that you really have to wonder about A couple of years ago Coach Cowher met (Browns future quarterback) Baker Mayfield on the set and said, 'That's my guy and I'll go to war with that guy.' A guy like Coach Cowher is a guy like Baker Mayfield needs. He just got in a bad situation like most people do when they get the wrong coach. I think Joe Burrow can be that guy. I felt it meeting him and talking to him."

"I don't see how the Bengals don't pick him."

Hmm, Daniel Jones is kind of a scrub. Surely Boomer can do better than that. A 1-1 pick should be leaps and bounds better than a fringe 1st round reach.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 05:58 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Straight outta former Super Bowl & a MVP QBs mouth...

Unfortunately John Elway's track record of QB evaluation means those qualifications might not be enough.
Reply/Quote
Burrow is special, period. He's our best chance to get back to relevancy.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 10:09 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Hmm, Daniel Jones is kind of a scrub.  Surely Boomer can do better than that.  A 1-1 pick should be leaps and bounds better than a fringe 1st round reach.

I like the Patrick Mahomes comparison much better myself.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 08:59 PM)Daotherbengaltigers Wrote: Getting the first overall pic is about to pay off for you guys! This guy is special on the football field. He is tenacious, smart, more athletic than you would think... all the intangibles you want at the most important position on the field. His last year at LSU will be talked about for years! I truly believe he will be great at the next level. I know Bengal fans are familiar with great QBs (Palmer, Anderson, Esiason). Joe just might pass them all up!

Is that you JOE?  Joe
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 11:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like the Patrick Mahomes comparison much better myself.

Yes. Burrow obviously doesn’t have the rocket arm, but I like that he’s a multi-sport talent. Along with Mahomes, Wilson is another good example. You really do need to be a great athlete to succeed as a QB in today’s NFL.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 11:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yes. Burrow obviously doesn’t have the rocket arm, but I like that he’s a multi-sport talent. Along with Mahomes, Wilson is another good example. You really do need to be a great athlete to succeed as a QB in today’s NFL.

Still think the best comparison is Joe Montana as Joel Klatt said. Joe Cool. Same first name as well.

Wilson is a good example as another multi-sport athlete that has great pocket awareness and can run when needed.

Wilson is a great pocket manipulator just like we see from Burrow. Agreed need a great athlete now a days.

Cannot be a pure pocket passer, at least not a statue. Have to do both. Burrow can and does both very well.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 11:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yes. Burrow obviously doesn’t have the rocket arm, but I like that he’s a multi-sport talent. Along with Mahomes, Wilson is another good example. You really do need to be a great athlete to succeed as a QB in today’s NFL.

And then there’s the John Daly of QB’s up in Pittsburgh...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 11:52 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: And then there’s the John Daly of QB’s up in Pittsburgh...

Ben is extremely hard to bring down. Makes up for a lack of athleticism.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 11:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ben is extremely hard to bring down. Makes up for a lack of athleticism.

What is nice is Burrow is athletic, hard to bring down and manipulates the pocket very well.

Sure will love seeing Pitt's Corners trying to cover all day like ours had to for years while the Pig did what he did.

Just need to add a Lineman or two and some more weapons for those bastids to deal with.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 10:15 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Unfortunately John Elway's track record of QB evaluation means those qualifications might not be enough.

WhoDey2 Quite true, BUT Boomer's a Bengal.

...and I don't like John Elway... ThumbsUp
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 10:09 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Hmm, Daniel Jones is kind of a scrub. Surely Boomer can do better than that. A 1-1 pick should be leaps and bounds better than a fringe 1st round reach.

No he's not.

He had a fine ROOKIE season, with an absolutely shit team around him (aside from Barkley and 2 really good guards).

The only real issue he had was fumbles (where he was reprehensibly bad).

If he was a 5th year player and he played like he did, I'd agree, but Jones looked very good for most of his starts (FTR, I'm not a fan of him or where he was picked).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 08:03 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: I was glad to see it on the official Bengals site. Excited to get this just done with and moving forward, April can't come fast enough.

Yes, I think if there was any doubt in the front office this was the pick, we wouldn't be seeing articles like this on the mothership, getting fans all excited and then picking someone else.
Reply/Quote