Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bortles as backup QB?
With the Jags signing Nick Foles, and rumored to be parting ways with Blake Bortles, could he be an option to come here and backup Dalton?

He’d at least be an improvement over Driskel...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Probably depends on if he's satisfied with the Cincy bar scene.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
He's been in the league how many years and he hasn't stopped sukking yet. What reason is there to believe he ever will? On the plus side, there would never be a QB controversy.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Don’t even joke about this
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Unlike a guy like Josh Rosen, Bortles has proven time and time again that he simply can't play.
Reply/Quote
You’re all missing the point, which is that he’s much better than what we currently have at QB2. And it wouldn’t cost us any draft picks like Rosen would.

Could Driskel ever put up 4K+ yds and 35 TD’s in a season?

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 09:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re all missing the point, which is that he’s much better than what we currently have at QB2. And it wouldn’t cost us any draft picks like Rosen would.

He's not coming here for free, though. Gotta figure you can find someone else who can do the same thing Bortles could for way less money.

...and yeah, Rosen might cost you a pick, but there's some actual upside there. A trade gets you him as a QB2, but you're hoping he grows into more than that.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 09:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re all missing the point, which is that he’s much better than what we currently have at QB2. And it wouldn’t cost us any draft picks like Rosen would.

I'm sure Bortles, along with his agent, both see him as "starting quality".  They're going to want at least close to starter money.  Now, if you really think he would sign a deal for $2-3M/per, to ride the bench behind Andy, then, Sure!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 09:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm sure Bortles, along with his agent, both see him as "starting quality".  They're going to want at least close to starter money.  Now, if you really think he would sign a deal for $2-3M/per, to ride the bench behind Andy, then, Sure!

Yeah, it’ll depend on the money for sure. Teams that need starting QB’s are shrinking now though with JAX, WAS, and DEN all making moves. Bortles might have no choice if he wants to get signed somewhere.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 09:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, it’ll depend on the money for sure. Teams that need starting QB’s are shrinking now though with JAX, WAS, and DEN all making moves. Bortles might have no choice if he wants to get signed somewhere.

Yowza!!  What in the hell were the Jags thinking?  If they cut Bortles, they're still on the hook for $16.5M in dead cap, just to "save" $4.5M.  If you figure Foles is getting $22M/per, and then add in $16.5M in dead money, that's $38.5M wrapped up in the QB position, alone..   Say What 

https://overthecap.com/player/blake-bortles/2942/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If he comes to Cinci, I hope he changes his last name.
Reply/Quote
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he went to the Steelers as a C- minus version of Ben. I can't say I'd mind him here, seeing as we can hope Dalton goes back to 2015 form and Bortles goes back to "beat the Steelers in the playoffs" form.
Reply/Quote
If I were Bortles I probably wouldn't be in any hurry to sign with anyone at all. Sit around, wait for the inevitable injury to someone's starter that causes them to panic, and then cash in and get one last shot to salvage your career. Someone will come calling and will most likely overpay at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 11:59 PM)NKURyan Wrote: If I were Bortles I probably wouldn't be in any hurry to sign with anyone at all. Sit around, wait for the inevitable injury to someone's starter that causes them to panic, and then cash in and get one last shot to salvage your career. Someone will come calling and will most likely overpay at the same time.

Ehh...teams usually overpay for an instant-starter when a former coach of said player in on a needy squad AND has a decent opinion of the guy.  I feel like Bortles' crapfulness probably got his former coaches kicked out of Jacksonville, so they aren't eager to repeat that scenario by bringing him to their new job-site.
Reply/Quote
I must say I can't imagine going into next season not being able to find an upgrade over Driskel, he's just awful IMHO.

I also can't imagine Bortles getting starter or even close to starter money. And to the guys saying he sucks, yes as a starter he sucks. That's why backups are backups.
Reply/Quote
Rather Bridgewater
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 09:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Rather Bridgewater

I'll 2nd that
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 09:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Rather Bridgewater

He’s never thrown for more than 14 TD’s in a season.

Bortles is inconsistent, but he’s thrown for 20+ TD’s 3 times.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 09:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm sure Bortles, along with his agent, both see him as "starting quality".  They're going to want at least close to starter money.  Now, if you really think he would sign a deal for $2-3M/per, to ride the bench behind Andy, then, Sure!

well it might be that or the AAF for bortles...  not sure who would be after his services
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s never thrown for more than 14 TD’s in a season.

Bortles is inconsistent, but he’s thrown for 20+ TD’s 3 times.

We're going to nitpick certain stats out now? Ok.

Bridgewater had more wins in a single season than Bortles had (11 vs 10).
Bridgewater has had a (much) higher completion percentage (65%) than Bortles (60%).
Bridgewater has had a higher QBR than Bortles has ever had (88.7 vs 88.2)

Throwing TD passes isn't the best indicator of success. And if you really want to talk about Bortles throwing TD passes, he only threw 13 last year.

The final thing would come down to cost of each player. If Bridgewater could be half the cost of Bortles, wouldn't you say Bridgewater is better value given he's had a higher win percentage, completion percentage, and QBR than Bortles overall?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote