Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Boy When Your Wrong!!!
(12-22-2022, 03:00 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Kind of crazy to think about how Lou ended up the DC.

The first guy Zac talked to was Del Rio, but both said it was determined not to be a fit.
They then contacted Dom Capers who said he wasn't interested in the job.
Then it was Todd Grantham, who they were actually in negotiations with, but leveraged that for a new deal to stay at Florida.
Next, they requested an interview with Aaron Glenn, but were blocked by the Saints.
Then they contacted Jeff Halfey at Ohio St, but he declined to interview.
They also reportedly contacted Mike Elko, Marquand Manuel and Aubrey Pleasant.

Then finally...Lou is interviewed and agrees to take the job. 

He might not have been the 1st choice, or the 4th or 5th Mellow but I'm sure as hell glad we have him and hope that he's here for awhile.

.... And at the end of the day we scored Burrow and Chase. Good job boys.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 02:20 AM)sandwedge Wrote: You honestly think that a vet coaching crew would have fared better the first 2 years? I don't. It was pretty much a rebuild from getting players needed to fit in their system, changing the organization to do business in a new way. They pretty much breathed new life into this archaic way of running this franchise from top to bottom. You don't get to the Super Bowl having a shitty staff.  

Let's not forget that in year 2 the defense was so depleted from injury we were in the middle of the season and signing Defensive linemen off the couch.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 11:00 AM)Wyche Wrote: Right and like I said, even Marvin was struggling with his own players. They were aging and had become soft.

It's tough to be in a work environment where you've experienced success as an individual and as a group when large-scale change and failure set in.  

I don't like how Dunlap handled things, and I was certainly on the wrong side of the Anarumo debate (there's my crow-eating).  That said, Carlos had been through one major climb out of the dumpster with this organization.  He was by all accounts a big reason why they became an elite defensive unit.  Before Dunalp, MJ, and Geno came along, this team absolutely failed at finding DL talent under Marvin.  It's not a coincidence that success followed when they finally did figure it out. 

On top of all that, that group went through a lot of disappointment in the postseason.  I imagine it's tough to accept that kind of obvious finality to a body of work when you're a major part of it.  Then comes the inevitable culture change, with you as an individual being about 10 years older and with diminished physical abilities.  You have to prove yourself all over again to a staff that you have no relationship with.  I can see where a guy might not view that as a place he wants to finish his career.  

Hindsight makes it look like a bad decision to leave, but almost nobody except for maybe Sled thought that this team was going to a Super Bowl in Burrow's second year.  I doubt that even he would have gone quite that far.  Hell, nobody even believed that mid-2021 regular season.   

At the end of the day, my view is that the organization should have cut bait with Dunlap before 2020.  He was making a lot of money, and was not a part of the new administration.  I feel like it's likely that they thought they were being loyal, even if Zac and Lou may have been trying to push him out.  This is probably the last time with this team that the front office may not have been on the same page with the staff.  It got ugly, but everyone was better off when it was done. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 11:40 AM)samhain Wrote: It's tough to be in a work environment where you've experienced success as an individual and as a group when large-scale change and failure set in.  

I don't like how Dunlap handled things, and I was certainly on the wrong side of the Anarumo debate (there's my crow-eating).  That said, Carlos had been through one major climb out of the dumpster with this organization.  He was by all accounts a big reason why they became an elite defensive unit.  Before Dunalp, MJ, and Geno came along, this team absolutely failed at finding DL talent under Marvin.  It's not a coincidence that success followed when they finally did figure it out. 

On top of all that, that group went through a lot of disappointment in the postseason.  I imagine it's tough to accept that kind of obvious finality to a body of work when you're a major part of it.  Then comes the inevitable culture change, with you as an individual being about 10 years older and with diminished physical abilities.  You have to prove yourself all over again to a staff that you have no relationship with.  I can see where a guy might not view that as a place he wants to finish his career.  

Hindsight makes it look like a bad decision to leave, but almost nobody except for maybe Sled thought that this team was going to a Super Bowl in Burrow's second year.  I doubt that even he would have gone quite that far.  Hell, nobody even believed that mid-2021 regular season.   

At the end of the day, my view is that the organization should have cut bait with Dunlap before 2020.  He was making a lot of money, and was not a part of the new administration.  I feel like it's likely that they thought they were being loyal, even if Zac and Lou may have been trying to push him out.  This is probably the last time with this team that the front office may not have been on the same page with the staff.  It got ugly, but everyone was better off when it was done. 

Absolutely great post. I don't find a thing wrong in anything you said. That's about as fair as it can be put. Rep

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 09:31 AM)jason Wrote: .... And at the end of the day we scored Burrow and Chase. Good job boys.

....and we almost screwed that up in Miami! LOL

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 03:00 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Kind of crazy to think about how Lou ended up the DC.

The first guy Zac talked to was Del Rio, but both said it was determined not to be a fit.
Then it was Todd Grantham, who they were actually in negotiations with, but leveraged that for a new deal to stay at Florida.
Next, they requested an interview with Aaron Glenn, but were blocked by the Saints.
Then they contacted Jeff Halfey at Ohio St, but he declined to interview.

He might not have been the 1st choice, or the 4th or 5th Mellow but I'm sure as hell glad we have him and hope that he's here for awhile.

Lou coached with Zac at Miami. That’s who he always wanted but was encouraged to find somebody with experience as a DC ( Lou did not) and preferably in the NFL. Zac was young and had no stroke.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 11:50 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: ....and we almost screwed that up in Miami! LOL

I'm not saying that I was rooting for Miami... But I had Devante Parker on my fantasy team, and that was championship week.

And I was rooting for Miami.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 12:12 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Lou coached with Zac at Miami. That’s who he always wanted but was encouraged to find somebody with experience as a DC ( Lou did not) and preferably in the NFL. Zac was young and had no stroke.

They tried to interview Hafley and Glenn prior to Lou, but weren't able to. Neither had any DC experience at the time.
Reply/Quote

Then they contacted Jeff Hafley at Ohio St, but he declined to interview.

He might not have been the 1st choice, or the 4th or 5th  Mellow but I'm sure as hell glad we have him and hope that he's here for awhile.

It is more than kind of crazy lol

Man, so much had to fall into place for us to be where we are right now.

Destiny or somethin'. Sure hope so, we need a SB win so bad...

And also hope Lou is here for awhile.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 12:57 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: They tried to interview Hafley and Glenn prior to Lou, but weren't able to. Neither had any DC experience at the time.

All I know for 1000% certain and no disputing by anybody on this planet that Zac wanted Lou as his DC period absolutely without question from day one. They’d always discussed it. But he was encouraged to find an experienced NFL DC.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 12:08 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: All I know for 1000% certain and no disputing by anybody on this planet that Zac wanted Lou as his DC period absolutely without question from day one. They’d always discussed it. But he was encouraged to find an experienced NFL DC.

Wasn't he setting his sights on Allen with Saints right off the bat? I thought it was ridiculous myself as he was never going to leave the Saints for the same role with the Bengals. But the fact Zac wanted him I thought he must've had some kind of friendship or blood oath no one knew about.
Reply/Quote
I think Zac ways wanted Lou, but being a new HC he listemed to his owner and looked for more experience. Glad he didn't find anyone else.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 09:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I have to wonder what goes through a malcontent's mind when they force their way off a team thinking they are going to go to a playoff and Super Bowl team, then sit at home on the couch and watch the team they left win throughout the playoffs, become Conference Champs and play in the Super Bowl..... and now apparently making run at doing it again in back-to-back years. 

Well, Dunlap isnt exactly in a horrible situation....He's playing for a division winner and the premier AFC team over the last 5 years.  
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 12:36 PM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: Well, Dunlap isnt exactly in a horrible situation....He's playing for a division winner and the premier AFC team over the last 5 years.  

As a backup. The problem is he didn't want to do that here. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 12:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As a backup. The problem is he didn't want to do that here. 

His role was reducing last few years, i remember he was seeing less time for running downs etc.. and at the time im sure he thought which others did that Bengals were not a downturn for a few years so he went to playoff team in Seahawks played a good amount and then had chance to playoff for KC, solid career, i believe now 100 sacks.. future possible Bengal HOF
Reply/Quote
The Bengals if they continue on this path will make a run in the playoffs. Getting healthy is paramount. Everything is in place. The chemistry and confidence off the charts. Both sides of the ball solid. Offense with the OL continuing to improve and guys getting healthy could go off. If things fall in place they could go all the way. All the way. But KC and the Bills are as good. A few years ago Eli Manning’s Giants beat the Pats in the SB. You have to play good at the right time. That day. But I like our spot.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 06:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: I remember the first 2 years in the Zac era with Andy and then Burrow's rookie year, everyone wanted Lou gone...myself included.

Boy eating crow is an understatement. This guy got the players he wanted in his system and they have been the most consistent thing on this team week in and week out.

Now I feel selfish, because he deserves a head coaching job and new opportunities but I don't want the guy leaving...the schemes and adjustments he makes are like no other.

Being wrong, huh? I'll have to try that someday! Is it as much fun as seen on TV?  Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 12:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: His role was reducing last few years, i remember he was seeing less time for running downs etc.. and at the time im sure he thought which others did that Bengals were not a downturn for a few years so he went to playoff team in Seahawks played a good amount and then had chance to playoff for KC, solid career, i believe now 100 sacks.. future possible Bengal HOF

Don't think he is going into to the HOF..
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 06:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: I remember the first 2 years in the Zac era with Andy and then Burrow's rookie year, everyone wanted Lou gone...myself included.

Boy eating crow is an understatement. This guy got the players he wanted in his system and they have been the most consistent thing on this team week in and week out.

Now I feel selfish, because he deserves a head coaching job and new opportunities but I don't want the guy leaving...the schemes and adjustments he makes are like no other.

I certainly didn't like Lou in the begininng - I thought he was pissing all the vets off and also the new guy, Lawson! Once Lou got his guys he's been balling!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote

There were not a lot of people on this board that supported Zac and Lou back then.
I am proud to be one of the few that did not give up on Zac and Lou at that time. I argued with a lot of people that I was not saying they were going to be great coaches but that we need to give then 4 years to change this culture and get the right players for their system.
The problem most coaches face when taking over a team is restructuring roster quick enough to appease the fans win now mentality.
I thought Zac used his first year to evaluate the players they had and to zero in on potential free agents.
The signing of DJ Reader in 2020 was the one Free Agent that changed everything for the Cincinnati Bengals and how I viewed them.
I always judge free agent signings by the reaction of the players former teammates. JJ Watt was very disappointed and mentioned DJ reader as a big reason for his success. The next year when we signed Mike Hilton the Steelers teammate TJ Watt commented how happy he was for Mike calling him the most physical slot corner in the game. Earned not given he stated. Vonn Bell and Chidobie Awuzie were also a very important signings.

Once I was able to see Joe Burrow play before he was injured I knew we were headed in the right direction with this staff.

That is why I made my preseason bets on over win totals, AFC North Champions, AFC Champions and Super Bowl Winners.

This is why I also picked them this year for the same bet which is so far looking pretty good. 
For some of the same reasons I picked the Lions to win more than 6.5 wins (winner), win NFC North (Loser), win NFC Championship and lose to the Bengals in Super Bowl! 

I cannot take credit for believing in our coaches right away but do take credit in being patient to give them time to do their job before evaluating.

See everyone in Arizona for the Lions-Bengals SuperBowl!
Reply/Quote