Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boyd Regression?
Not enough talk on Boyd - we are getting about nothing from our WR3

Has he regressed? Or due to Burrow Calf issues it's still TBD on whether or not this is an issue?

Current numbers

REGULAR SEASON STATS 23 receptions 34 targets 166 yards
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:34 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Not enough talk on Boyd - we are getting about nothing from our WR3

Has he regressed? Or due to Burrow Calf issues it's still TBD on whether or not this is an issue?

Didn't he have a TD pass yesterday where he made a couple moves and dove for the goalline that was called back by a ticky tack, possibly bogus penalty?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:41 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Didn't he have a TD pass yesterday where he made a couple moves and dove for the goalline that was called back by a ticky tack, possibly bogus penalty?

He did. He had a few grabs yesterday. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:34 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Not enough talk on Boyd - we are getting about nothing from our WR3

Boyd has been steadily regressing the past couple of years, honestly.  I think Chuck Sizzle will push him for snaps once he's back from IR.
Reply/Quote
Right now Boyd is on pace for roughly 550 yards.... the last 5 seasons he's been in the 800-1000 yard range.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:49 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Right now Boyd is on pace for roughly 550 yards.... the last 5 seasons he's been in the 800-1000 yard range.

Kinda unfair to do the "on pace" thing considering how craptacular Burrow has played prior to yesterday.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: He did. He had a few grabs yesterday. 

He is currently only averaging 33.2 ypg.  Hopefully, that will come up as Joe gets healthier, but I think the writing is on the wall.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:51 PM)Whatever Wrote: He is currently only averaging 33.2 ypg.  Hopefully, that will come up as Joe gets healthier, but I think the writing is on the wall.

No question father time eventually gets us all. To your earlier point, I also believe Jones will push him for playing time. It's why they drafted him, and he appeared to be getting a little bit of a groove going before the injury on plays he got in on offense.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:50 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Kinda unfair to do the "on pace" thing considering how craptacular Burrow has played prior to yesterday.

Yeah I think it is fair to wait and see if Burrow continues to improve from his injury and then get a better idea on the how the receivers are doing.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: No question father time eventually gets us all. To your earlier point, I also believe Jones will push him for playing time. It's why they drafted him, and he appeared to be getting a little bit of a groove going before the injury on plays he got in on offense.

I hope Jones works out as well but I don't know about a groove on offense.  I mean he hasn't really even played much outside of special teams. He has 3 offensive snaps, 2 targets, 1 reception for 6 yards.  I wouldn't really call that a groove.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:50 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Kinda unfair to do the "on pace" thing considering how craptacular Burrow has played prior to yesterday.

Eh, Chase and Tee both had big games during the first 4 weeks (Tee vs BAL, Chase vs LA). Boyd is definitely starting to fall off a bit.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 01:01 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I hope Jones works out as well but I don't know about a groove on offense.  I mean he hasn't really even played much outside of special teams. He has 3 offensive snaps, 2 targets, 1 reception for 6 yards.  I wouldn't really call that a groove.  

You're right, that's certainly not what I recalled. I thought I remembered a nice gainer for a first down, 15-20 yards, and him playing several more snaps than that. Maybe he had a catch get called back? Or it was one of the Trents and I mistakenly thought it was Chuck. Either way, I totally missed, lol. 

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:49 PM)Whatever Wrote: Boyd has been steadily regressing the past couple of years, honestly.  I think Chuck Sizzle will push him for snaps once he's back from IR.

Cool name. Chuck Sizzle. 

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 01:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: You're right, that's certainly not what I recalled. I thought I remembered a nice gainer for a first down, 15-20 yards, and him playing several more snaps than that. Maybe he had a catch get called back? Or it was one of the Trents and I mistakenly thought it was Chuck. Either way, I totally missed, lol. 

Well hopefully once he recovers he will get some more opportunities to get into a groove.  He has plenty of time to prove himself over time and fortunately the Bengals seem to have enough receivers to take care of business while he deals with his injury and when he gets back to allow him to ease into the offense.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Boyd had six catches on seven targets. If his touchdown catch doesn't get called back this thread doesn't exist.
Reply/Quote
He's just lost a step. He can't make guys miss and doesn't have speed anymore. Not a regression just aging.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 01:16 PM)Roland Wrote: Boyd had six catches on seven targets. If his touchdown catch doesn't get called back this thread doesn't exist.

Could have done without the fumble scare though.

Reply/Quote
I think "about nothing" is a bit harsh.

Boyd is on pace for ~565 yards if he continues his pace.
That's maybe a bit lower than the 3rd option in the passing game should get, but realistically 600-800 is about right.

I think the bigger "about nothing" is Irv Smith.
3 games played and only 27 yards?
If he continues his pace, he probably won't reach 200 yards, possibly not even 150.
Probably the worst starter the Bengals have at this point.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 01:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think "about nothing" is a bit harsh.

Boyd is on pace for ~565 yards if he continues his pace.
That's maybe a bit lower than the 3rd option in the passing game should get, but realistically 600-800 is about right.

I think the bigger "about nothing" is Irv Smith.
3 games played and only 27 yards?
If he continues his pace, he probably won't reach 200 yards, possibly not even 150.
Probably the worst starter the Bengals have at this point.

It’s between him or Volson. But at least Volson has an occasional game where he run blocks well.

Irv Smith has been abysmal.

Reply/Quote
Just wanted to get some more thoughts.... maybe the thread was pre-mature considering Burrow issues.

I just notice while watching the game that I don't hear his name called very often. I know he also had that 1 TD drop that was pretty bad earlier this year as well.
Reply/Quote