Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boyd Regression?
(10-09-2023, 03:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Again, Tee had a nice game against the Ravens - 89 yards & 2 TD’s, and Chase went off for 141 against the Rams.

Give me 23 catches on 34 targets for 166 yards over 12 catches on 32 targets for 129 yards a billion percent of the time. Outside of his one okay game, he's probably been one of if not the worst players on our offense. I think Tee will play better as the year goes on but I think Boyd will too.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 01:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s between him or Volson. But at least Volson has an occasional game where he run blocks well.

Irv Smith has been abysmal.

If going by PFF grade, Smith is doing worse than Volson.

Smith - 40.7 overall
Volson - 46.7 overall

Smith is the lowest graded starter out of the entire team.
Mike Hilton and Nick Scott are just slightly above.
On offense, Volson is the 2nd worst starter.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 08:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If going by PFF grade, Smith is doing worse than Volson.

Smith - 40.7 overall
Volson - 46.7 overall

Smith is the lowest graded starter out of the entire team.
Mike Hilton and Nick Scott are just slightly above.
On offense, Volson is the 2nd worst starter.

Smith unfortunately is 0/3, he’s been injured, can’t block, and hasn’t gotten anything going in the passing game. When you’re getting outplayed by Drew Sample (who has been great in pass protection so not knocking him) then that says a great deal.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
Boyd is second on the team in reception and receiving yards. Of course Tee missed last game. I think if you’re just looking at numbers it’s more about the offense as a whole this year.
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to read through 3 pages of this nonsense, but to me it looks like Boyd is Boyd and he hasn't lost anything other than the quarterback who used to fit the ball into tight spaces. When Burrow is healthy, Boyd will be his old self.
Reply/Quote
Boyd is fine IMO, he is our 3rd option and very reliable. Once our offense continues to pick up to normal, you will see Boyd deliver more. Also, consider he is nearing 30 (1.5 years or so), and RBs and WRs usually decline around that time.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 08:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not going to ready through 3 pages of this nonsense, but to me it looks like Boyd is Boyd and he hasn't lost anything other than the quarterback who used to fit the ball into tight spaces. When Burrow is healthy, Boyd will be his old self.

Exactly, it’s not like he looks slow or overmatched out there or that he’s dropping passes that he should catch. The entire offense has, up until last week, revolved around a hurt QB. It’s hard to draw any long term conclusions based upon that. Just have to give it time and see what happens.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 12:41 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Didn't he have a TD pass yesterday where he made a couple moves and dove for the goalline that was called back by a ticky tack, possibly bogus penalty?

Yes Cappa got called for a very questionable hands to the face. His hand was there about .2789 of a second. 

I'm not worried one bit about Boyd. Irv Smith like has been said ummmmmm 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 03:29 PM)Housh Wrote: Felt like it was the 1at time he had his own package of plays

It’s insane we don’t have Tee and Boyd specific plays

Agree. It's like they scheme a different guy each week or something.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 03:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: May have a little to do with the dude throwing him the ball. Once JB establishes he can throw the deep ball again the underneath will open up for TB.

Good point. Sunday was the first time we've seen Joe push the ball down field with any accuracy. He keeps doing that, and defenses will have to soften up a bit, which should allow Boyd more looks. We shall see.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 08:38 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes Cappa got called for a very questionable hands to the face. His hand was there about .2789 of a second. 

I'm not worried one bit about Boyd. Irv Smith like has been said ummmmmm 

I'm ready to see less of Smith and more of Wilcox and Hudson
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 11:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm ready to see less of Smith and more of Wilcox and Hudson

Agreed. Not sure what Smith has done to deserve playing time so far. It's not like he's a top blocker and he's added nothing to the pass game except more incompletions. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 11:39 AM)TheFan Wrote: Agreed. Not sure what Smith has done to deserve playing time so far. It's not like he's a top blocker and he's added nothing to the pass game except more incompletions. 

Why are we giving Boyd the excuse of not producing due to Burrow’s leg, but we are not giving the same to Irv Smith? Just saying...

Let’s see him get healthy with a healthy Burrow before we deem him to be worse than career practice squad players

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 01:33 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Why are we giving Boyd the excuse of not producing due to Burrow’s leg, but we are not giving the same to Irv Smith? Just saying...

Let’s see him get healthy with a healthy Burrow before we deem him to be worse than career practice squad players

Because Boyd has years of equity built up whereas Smith does not. The same reason we aren't giving Scott excuses compared to Pratt/Wilson starting off a little rocky. 

Irv Smiths career year is 365 yards and he got dumped by the team that drafted him. 
Reply/Quote
Irv looks huge doesn’t he? Like not fat huge but he looks like he put on mad muscle and i think it’s affecting his crispness
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 01:33 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Why are we giving Boyd the excuse of not producing due to Burrow’s leg, but we are not giving the same to Irv Smith? Just saying...

Well one averages 4.6 receptions per game and 33.2 YPG while the other averages 1.7 rec per game and 9 YPG.
One is on pace for just under 600 yards receiving while the other is on pace for under 200.
Plus, one showed he can't stay healthy before he even became a Bengal.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm just now getting caught up (haven't read the thread), but we can't judge any offensive players based on the first 4 weeks. All numbers are going to be down due to the start.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

Well, for one thing, I may be misremembering, but it seems like Smith has a few drops. Meanwhile, it seems like Tanner Hudson has Trenton Irwin hands.
Reply/Quote
I've been pointing out in other threads that he has regressed for 5 straight seasons. He's been invisible this year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
He looked fine to me on that TD that got called back lol

I think it’s more Burrow wasn’t targeting him and Zac had no plays specifically for him.

If i had this WR core, it would be a cardinal sin for Chase, Tee and Boyd to not have at least 5 targets in each game. I would be getting them targets at all costs, similar to how we are feeding Chase.

I saw one great play to Boyd i think Chase motioned or maybe it was Boyd and the motion put a DB in conflict and Boyd caught an easy pass off the attention Chase got. Damn near every pass we call should have Boyd as an outlet option.

I’m going to keep saying it……bunch Tee/Chase/ and Boyd on one side and put a burner by himself on the other boundary and motion all 3 consistently throughout a full game and there is no possible way the D can guard it.
-Housh
Reply/Quote