Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyd's Not Expected To Start
I guess it's not a bad thing with a proven guy like Lafell on the team, but I was excited about Boyd starting opposite of AJ.

This article says otherwise:

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals took Pittsburgh wide receiver Tyler Boyd in the second round of this year’s NFL Draft. Boyd is expected to help fill the shoes lost by both Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu.

But do not get to excited to see a heavy dose of Boyd early on this season. Boyd, who broke several records at Pitt, is expected to be the third starting receiver behind A.J. Green and newly acquired wideout Brandon LaFell.

Paul Dehner of the Cincinnati Enquirer reported earlier today that the team is in no rush to bring him along, and LaFell should see more snaps right now than the rookie. Here is exactly what he had to say:

This could change if Boyd has a big training camp, but for now LaFell is running with the ones and in the driver’s seat to replace Marvin Jones opposite A.J. Green. A second-round pick out of Pitt, Boyd is a finesse receiver with limited run-after-catch skills whose fit in the slot is questionable. The Bengals have a boatload of unaccounted-for targets after losing Jones and Mohamed Sanu in free agency, and Tyler Eifert to offseason ankle surgery.

The key here is hoping that Eifert comes back by late training camp and can start the season a year after having 13 touchdown passes, first among tight ends. Boyd still has the potential to develop into a solid starting receiver opposite of Green, but for now he has a major learning curve to get through. Something a lot of rookies must do.

I guess it's best to let him learn and ease him in slow, but I just hope that there's enough targets with Lafell taking a bunch because I'm excited about Boyd and I keep getting more and more excited about Core.
Reply/Quote
This should not surprise you, Brad.

Not one of our draft picks is expected to start, nor should they.

We have too much depth for that, even at our thinnest position.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Plus, not starting doesn't mean not playing. Both Boyd and Green will be on the field at the same time as will Lafell and Boyd and Eifert and Lafell and any number of combinations.
Reply/Quote
Not really surprising. MLJ and Sanu were gradually worked in.

I fully expect LaFell to start and be a big factor. Especially early.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think we will see a lot of 12 personnel. maybe even 13
Reply/Quote
More often than not they are going to be in three wide receiver sets, so I would expect to see a lot of Green, LaFell, and Boyd on the field at the same time. Behind these three, there is not much.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2016, 09:56 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: More often than not they are going to be in three wide receiver sets, so I would expect to see a lot of Green, LaFell, and Boyd on the field at the same time.  Behind these three, there is not much.

Starting is a non issue as mentioned above.

Reply/Quote
Well at least he is doing better than Josh Doctson. Dude's already been hurt and missed time twice in OTAs
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Heres the thing that bothers me,brandon lefell hasnt even changed his twitter to show hes a bengal now,and He tweets from it to other patriot players,that might not bother anybody but it bothers me,2nd of all,him as a #2 isnt a good idea. Your outside receiver needs to go long sometimes,and i trust patriot fans that have said thats not his game,that He drops passes going long,even in last years playoff game,hes more of a slant runner,and get yac guy. I fully expect them to have problems if they start the season with him as outside,He can block which is a plus. And i dont know how boyd is going long,but to tell you the truth i think the receivrrs who should be out there is green, boyd and core. I dont even like the addition of lefell really.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 01:13 AM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: Heres the thing that bothers me,brandon lefell hasnt even changed his twitter to show hes a bengal now,and He tweets from it to other patriot players,that might not bother anybody but it bothers me,2nd of all,him as a #2 isnt a good idea. Your outside receiver needs to go long sometimes,and i trust patriot fans that have said thats not his game,that He drops passes going long,even in last years playoff game,hes more of a slant runner,and get yac guy. I fully expect them to have problems if they start the season with him as outside,He can block which is a plus. And i dont know how boyd is going long,but to tell you the truth i think the receivrrs who should be out there is green, boyd and core. I dont even like the addition of lefell really.

So we should make coaching decisions based on a guy's twitter activity?  Argh, can't we just see which of them is best at being a WR?
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 01:13 AM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: Heres the thing that bothers me,brandon lefell hasnt even changed his twitter to show hes a bengal now,and He tweets from it to other patriot players,that might not bother anybody but it bothers me,2nd of all,him as a #2 isnt a good idea. Your outside receiver needs to go long sometimes,and i trust patriot fans that have said thats not his game,that He drops passes going long,even in last years playoff game,hes more of a slant runner,and get yac guy. I fully expect them to have problems if they start the season with him as outside,He can block which is a plus. And i dont know how boyd is going long,but to tell you the truth i think the receivrrs who should be out there is green, boyd and core. I dont even like the addition of lefell really.

Um....  your #2 is your possession receiver.  A guy that can run slants, curls, outs, things like that of the short-to-intermediate range and getting YAC is exactly what we want.  Run good routes and get the yards to move the chains.

He might get a lot of slot work and be a TJ type of receiver, which just means that the young guys are stepping up on the outside, which is good.

But I like Lafell as a route runner and YAC guy.......  we have AJ to go deep  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
If Lafell can play comparably to Jones then I'll be happy. WR3 worries me though. I'd love to have a big body (Kumerow/Core) running underneath against LBs on 3rd downs. Maybe the dump offs to Bernard will offsets it.

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2016, 07:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I guess it's not a bad thing with a proven guy like Lafell on the team, but I was excited about Boyd starting opposite of AJ.

I guess it's best to let him learn and ease him in slow, but I just hope that there's enough targets with Lafell taking a bunch because I'm excited about Boyd and I keep getting more and more excited about Core.

its not even training camp yet dude a long time to go... and all starting means is you are on the field for the first snap of the offense... or defense..

So he might not start but he will get snaps. I don't see how this is worthy of discussion.
Reply/Quote
I would have been shocked had he been the #2 from the opening bell. This is what most people expected I believe.

Reply/Quote
It has been said all our WR's must know every position as they will be moved around. LaFell said when he came here he liked the idea of getting to play out of the slot at times because that is where he had the most success in CAR. They will all (AJ, LaFell, Boyd) be on the field at the same time frequently and in all sorts of positions. People get way too caught up on defined rolls and titles.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2016, 07:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I guess it's not a bad thing with a proven guy like Lafell on the team, but I was excited about Boyd starting opposite of AJ.

I never expected Boyd to start out Wide over Lafell, never. Boyd is a Slot receiver in the NFL, 2nd best one in the
Draft behind Sterling Shepard in my opinion. He will be starting in the Slot come opening day barring injury is what
i truly believe. Especially with Eifert out.

That is unless Core just lights up the world and even then Core is a Wideout and not a Slot receiver.
Reply/Quote

Shows a lot when you don't even bother to spell Lafell's name correctly.

I can refute lots of this as well, injury plays into this as well as Brady's inability to throw tear drop deep passes.

Brady is a great QB but this might be his one weakness, that and when the DL is hitting him regularly.

I think Dalton and Lafell could be very good on the outside, Core could be damn good down the road but he is
only a rookie. Lafell has the same amount of production as MLJ and Sanu combined and yet you don't even like
the addition really?
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 11:25 AM)Au165 Wrote: It has been said all our WR's must know every position as they will be moved around. LaFell said when he came here he liked the idea of getting to play out of the slot at times because that is where he had the most success in CAR. They will all (AJ, LaFell, Boyd) be on the field at the same time frequently and in all sorts of positions. People get way too caught up on defined rolls and titles.

While i agree to a point players still are considered by what they do best.

A bigger body like Lafell is usually used outside more often than in the Slot in the NFL.

We will move our guys around lots i am sure like we did last year for sure and Boyd could be on the outside
with Lafell in the Slot at times. I just consider Boyd to be more of a Slot receiver myself. Quick, possession WR
with great hands. That is not Lafell who is a big bodied YAC guy with speed.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 01:53 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Um....  your #2 is your possession receiver.  A guy that can run slants, curls, outs, things like that of the short-to-intermediate range and getting YAC is exactly what we want.  Run good routes and get the yards to move the chains.

He might get a lot of slot work and be a TJ type of receiver, which just means that the young guys are stepping up on the outside, which is good.

But I like Lafell as a route runner and YAC guy.......  we have AJ to go deep  ThumbsUp

Um wasnt tj a slot receiver? We had chris henry on the outside,We had marvin jones for the past few years,your slot doesnt go deep much at all.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 12:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Shows a lot when you don't even bother to spell Lafell's name correctly.

I can refute lots of this as well, injury plays into this as well as Brady's inability to throw tear drop deep passes.

Brady is a great QB but this might be his one weakness, that and when the DL is hitting him regularly.

I think Dalton and Lafell could be very good on the outside, Core could be damn good down the road but he is
only a rookie. Lafell has the same amount of production as MLJ and Sanu combined and yet you don't even like
the addition really?

Lefell lafell whatever,it doesnt matter when He drops it. Ive seen video evidence of it last year.
Reply/Quote