Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brace Yourselves...
(11-18-2017, 12:04 AM)Mer Wrote: Isn't it amazing how a guy who ran hard straight forward between the blockers last year made this line look so much better.

Is the problem really the line or the type of running back Cincinnati drafts most of the time? Or both?

I know they still stink at pass pro most of the time.
I miss Rex.

I've thought about that too,how mixon is a wait and cut style running back. Maybe we needed just the hit the hole with burst back like fornette or cook.
Reply/Quote
Just find a crease and hit it. You may only get 2 or 3 yards or you might come out the other side and regain your balance for more yardage. Either way it's a lot better than getting tackled in the backfield.

Also those type of runners rarely get caught by the d-lineman that's over a pulling guard like the ones we have now because there's no hesitation in there game.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
Even with Andy at the helm, o line. Next year will be much of the same regardless

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 12:04 AM)Mer Wrote: Isn't it amazing how a guy who ran hard straight forward between the blockers last year made this line look so much better.

Is the problem really the line or the type of running back Cincinnati drafts most of the time? Or both?

I know they still stink at pass pro most of the time.
I miss Rex.

Come on. You know by now that's how we roll - get rid of those who make a difference but do not have a "star name".
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 03:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Really Marvin Lewis is a much smaller problem in the grand scheme of things compared to Bengals Management. At this point, I view Marvin as more of a symptom than the actual disease.

The Bengals are managed to make a profit as the primary objective and to win second. Would they like to win? Yes - but only if they can do so in a fiscally responsible way.

I disagree. Look at our 5 year run in the playoffs. There was enough talent assembled on this team to win the Superbowl. While MB is not a good GM, it was not MB's fault this team comes out from just about every bye week flat and unprepared. It is not MB's fault they can dominate at 1PM, but can't win in prime time. It's not MB's fault the whole team came out and played like shit against San Diego. Those are coaching issues, not management issues. Lewis must go...
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 06:18 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I hope she does, but if she is doing the contracts, doesn't that make her the same person who let Zeitler walk away by low balling him on his contract offer? That has to cause a little bit of concern.

Nope, it means she is the one making the numbers work that MB gives her, in order to keep most of the players here. Because she is writing the contracts does not mean she is allotting the money...
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 11:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It is not MB's fault they can dominate at 1PM

“Use to.”

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I say it's Paul Alexander who needs to hit the road most importantly.

If that guy is retained, then you know Mike is still meddling.

There is no way in hell Marvin is happy with him as assistant coach who is hand picking these incompetent fools.

I hate the way Marvin coaches in games, depth charts, and his time management.

He's the symptom of the disease though as others have stated.

Personally I don't think Marvin will be back. I believe he is done here.

If he does stay it's because of greed on his part.

I agree with what another poster said about mutiny and losing the team.

If Marvin returns, Alexander continues in his inept role... this team will quit on him.

If Katie ever does take this team over... we can only hope the drive of success compared to her predecessor compiled with her being a female in a traditional "man's world" business might give us hope.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 11:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I disagree. Look at our 5 year run in the playoffs. There was enough talent assembled on this team to win the Superbowl. While MB is not a good GM, it was not MB's fault this team comes out from just about every bye week flat and unprepared. It is not MB's fault they can dominate at 1PM, but can't win in prime time. It's not MB's fault the whole team came out and played like shit against San Diego. Those are coaching issues, not management issues. Lewis must go...

Agreed. While management is nothing to write home about, gameday coaching has been the biggest issue on this team. 

I think simply removing Lewis from the equation will be a huge addition by subtraction (provided whoever replaces him isn't as big of a choke artist as he is). 
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 12:32 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Agreed. While management is nothing to write home about, gameday coaching has been the biggest issue on this team. 

I think simply removing Lewis from the equation will be a huge addition by subtraction (provided whoever replaces him isn't as big of a choke artist as he is). 

Careful what you wish for.

It could be Alexander, and if that happened I'd be officially done with this team.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 12:50 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Careful what you wish for.

It could be Alexander, and if that happened I'd be officially done with this team.

Yikes, that would be equal to drinking antifreeze!

Reply/Quote
Maybe this team and organization will quit playing the role of the Washington Generals someday and go all in for winning over profit, but that would require a massive deadly disease to completely ravage the entire management system in place along with ownership. 
If you think that the Brown family have anyone who wants to change the status quo consider that every single one of them have gotten rich by essentially doing nothing. 
I'm not sure there's anyone in the organization who would ever consider changing the gravy train scheme unless the heirs of Mikey decide they're tired of being filthy rich and how many times do we actually see rich people decide they've had enough of having more money than everyone else? 
The day you hear about anyone from the Brown family say, "I'd rather live in poverty and squalor than have another losing season." is the day that the entire city of Cincinnati just falls into the Ohio river and floats all the way down to the Gulf of Mexico. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 12:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yikes, that would be equal to drinking antifreeze!

There are worse things you can drink than antifreeze.. Mike Brown flavored koolaid for example..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 12:50 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Careful what you wish for.

Ugh  Sick I guess they could go the nuclear route. But nobody, absolutely NOBODY on the team would accept that. That would kill whatever support they have left (not that they would care but they must realize that an empty stadium = less $$$).  

But PA has been here for decades. Been here through several coaching changes and never once was considered for that kind of promotion. 
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 11:56 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I say it's Paul Alexander who needs to hit the road most importantly.

If that guy is retained, then you know Mike is still meddling.

There is no way in hell Marvin is happy with him as assistant coach who is hand picking these incompetent fools.

I hate the way Marvin coaches in games, depth charts, and his time management.

He's the symptom of the disease though as others have stated.

Personally I don't think Marvin will be back.  I believe he is done here.

If he does stay it's because of greed on his part.

I agree with what another poster said about mutiny and losing the team.

If Marvin returns, Alexander continues in his inept role...  this team will quit on him.

If Katie ever does take this team over...  we can only hope the drive of success compared to her predecessor compiled with her being a female in a traditional "man's world" business might give us hope.

[Image: giphy.gif]

It has to be both Marv and PA. If they aren't both gone in January, I'll have to reevaluate my fandom. 

I want the entire staff cleared out and Mike Brown to 100% step away from operations, but I'm not holding my breath for any of this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 02:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It has to be both Marv and PA. If they aren't both gone in January, I'll have to reevaluate my fandom. 

I want the entire staff cleared out and Mike Brown to 100% step away from operations, but I'm not holding my breath for any of this.

I really don't think Mike is gonna step down willingly. I believe the only way he's ever gonna be out is his health fails him enough that he has to or, he's no longer with us. I'll be shocked if he willingly steps away !

I'm hoping that somehow, someway, the light finally comes on and he realizes changes have to be made. BIG CHANGES

I'm hoping for a clean sweep - everybody out ! But again I just can't see Mike doing that, hell he hates even tiny little tweeks. 

But I like you will not sign up again for another season of the Marvin and PA show. If at least those two aren't gone I just can't do it. There's just no hope left with them !
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 05:22 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: While that sounds amazing in theory, you have to look at the flip side of things as well. What makes anyone believe that Katie can run this team any better than her Father did? She learned how to run the team and make money by watching him do it, so is she taking over the team to make money or to win. If she sticks to the family beliefs of her Father, we are screwed. If someone how someway, there is a small shred of dignity in her to honor her Grandfather, then perhaps we have a chance to see real change. 

Sadly, from what I've seen since Paul Brown died, that family's honor and dignity died with him.

Agreed.  The issue with Mike Brown isn't that he doesn't know that his way isn't leading to wins, it's that he doesn't care.  He knows he isn't a GM but he doesn't hire one, he sees other northern teams build indoor practice facilities, but he doesn't and so on.  Katie has been around the Bengals long enough to know her ol' man is doing things his way for reasons that don't involve on the field success.

Mike and Katie both know the Mike Brown way doesn't breed "football success."  Does she care?  I guess we will see eventually. I will say that I'd imagine since Katie and her husband and her family are the ones benefiting from the Mike Brown way, so she may be somewhat attached to that style of management. Or she might be like Al Davis' son and immediately hire a GM and get out of the way.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 02:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Agreed.  The issue with Mike Brown isn't that he doesn't know that his way isn't leading to wins, it's that he doesn't care.  He knows he isn't a GM but he doesn't hire one, he sees other northern teams build indoor practice facilities, but he doesn't and so on.  Katie has been around the Bengals long enough to know her ol' man is doing things his way for reasons that don't involve on the field success.

Mike and Katie both know the Mike Brown way doesn't breed "football success."  Does she care?  I guess we will see eventually.  I will say that I'd imagine since Katie and her husband and her family are the ones benefiting from the Mike Brown way, so she may be somewhat attached to that style of management.  Or she might be like Al Davis' son and immediately hire a GM and get out of the way.

The legacy and curse is real folks.

This whole franchise is not about excellence in football terms.

Just egos, stubbornness, and a silly loyalty to staff members with a track record of failure.

I have little faith that they'll ever hire a GM or get a NFL caliber scouting department.

Even after Mike Brown's departure.

Man I just wish that old coot would get "Scrooged" and shown that his fans need to get a damn Xmas turkey for putting up with his crap for so long.

[Image: th?id=OIP.5jSZmdO_DniOYQ2TdG4N2QDIE4&pid...=300&h=300]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 08:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't know how someone who has always had money feels but i think if i had it all my life i would want something else.

Money sure as hell isn't everything and a rich person born rich ought to know that.

BTW, she might also be the same person that kept AJ Green, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap and Andy Dalton around.

We were never going to match the Browns offer and it would of been stupid to try. Whit was the one we should of kept.

Agreed. Matching the Browns offer to Zeitler would have been asinine, and he would have been stupid to turn it down (although I'd kill to have him back on our roster at the moment). We absolutely should have gone above and beyond to keep Whit but honestly... I'm not so sure Whit had any intentions of coming back. Same goes for Sanu and Marvin Jones. 

Every team is doomed to lose some very valuable assets, no matter what they do. Unfortunately for us, we replaced those guys with the likes of Ogbeuhi, Fisher, Boyd and Ross...

Quite a few swings and misses there, Duke Tobin  Whatever    
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 02:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It has to be both Marv and PA. If they aren't both gone in January, I'll have to reevaluate my fandom. 

PA isnt going anywhere. Marv, maybe. But PA is here for the rest of Mike Brown's life (maybe longer). He is very close to the Brown family, which all but guarantees a job for life, regardless of on-field performance (same story for pacman jones  Whatever  ).  

We can only hope that we luck into some very talented Olinemen via free agency and the draft. It is possible to have a solid Oline under PA. That 2005 offensive line was outstanding. Talent goes a long way in this league. It can make bad coaches seem decent. Sadly for us Bengal fans, we've seen that far too many times in recent years  Whatever 

I'd much rather see Marv go above all else. IMO he is the biggest problem with this franchise right now.
(Note the "right now") 
Reply/Quote