Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Who is Willing to ...
(02-02-2020, 07:49 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: leave Bengledom IF MB goes with TJs premise and trades away first pick to the highest bidder?

For background:  I was the one guy that was tentative to say Burrow until I really watched him closely at the end of the season.  I wanted Miami's haul, and then some.  I feared that a QB would get ruined here, and there were going to be other opportunities in the draft like Lawrence and Fields.  I also really wanted a VERY mobile QB.  

Then I saw Burrow put up a 60 burger on Oklahoma.  I saw him demonstrate not only great mobility but pocket awareness and elusiveness.  I was impressed but discounted a lot of what he did because I didn't have a very high opinion of Oklahoma's defense.  Then, I saw him put of 463 passing yards and 5 passing TDs against Clemson, who did have a strong defense.  I also saw him rush for 59 yards and another TD, for good measure.  

But stats only tell part of the picture.  Burrow is the whole package:  Confident, leader, tough, vision, arm strength, mobility, and perhaps most important:  He gets it.  The guy just gets it.  He has gratitude to the players and coaches that helped him along the way.  He could have been a cocky jerk and made a comment to OSU like "not bad for third string, huh?" but instead, he thanked them and had gratitude.  He is about his community and seems to be everything you could want out of a QB and (unlike a spoiled baby that should remain nameless) this guy is all about taking a program that is struggling and making a winner out of them.   Look what Kurt Warner did for the Rams and Cards.  That is the guy I want.

Right now, I would rather risk getting made fun of for turning away an entire draft (a la Akili Smith) than losing Burrow.  The Lions had a run of horrible busts at WR but they still took Calvin Johnson and he changed their franchise....and that was a WR.  Burrow can do what everyone has said Dalton can't and that is make everyone better around him.  

Now, do I think he will come in and be a top 5 QB his rookie season?  No.  But I want to see him have his career here, in Cincinnati.  I think it is going to be an amazing ride and I don't see him EVER taking his foot off the gas and lighting a victory cigar again until he hoists a Lombardi.  

Keep your picks, I want this kid here.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Everyone is afraid of both sides of the coin.

People are afraid that he is the qb from an archaic offense 2 years ago, or he had one year of production, or he will get injured, or the team is so depleted that one guy wont make a difference. Bengal fans have seen everything.
There is one truth I can tell people: You get QB right, the team will be lightyears better than the previous 4 or even 9 years. Burrow is the ONLY potential starting franchise QB coming out of the draft this year. Everyone else needs at least one year before they should see the field.

Literally every other qb has question marks in some way. Burrow has one, and it probably isnt one that can be answered until he steps on an nfl football field.

Would I leave the team if they fail to draft burrow? I've said that I dont think I could still be a fan and I still think that way. Assuming they took the 3 first from Miami, they would probably get herbert, an OT or Murray, then either a WR or what the didnt get with the 2nd first. I feel like there is enough value in the later rounds at these positions that acquiring more 2nds and later picks would be just as good, IMO. I would love for them to sign and trade AJ, Trade Andy and do whatever they can with Glenn than lose the first over all this year.

I apologise that this was so long, but there is a lot to unpack with that question.
Reply/Quote
A few people saying that we could build the team if we traded with Miami but there is even more risk in doing that.
We could take Tua with the 5th pick (if he is there) and he could be out for the year injured, we could then end up with 2 players with the 18th & 26th in the shape of Ced and Price.
Even if we miss with one of the picks, is giving away our possible elite franchise QB for 2 good/decent players, I don't think it is.
I wouldn't bail on the team, i couldn't but I wouldn't be very happy.
Reply/Quote
I definitely think the pick will be Burrow but the front office would be stupid if they did not at least listen to offers for the first pick. If for instance, lets say Miami called and offered their 3 1st rd picks and their 2 2nd rd picks this year and then their 1st rd pick next year or even a little more on the back end, just to move down four spots, it would be tough to pass on that offer because the front office could fill several spots on this team because even though I like the potential for Burrow, it would be difficult to say that one player would get this team to the playoffs. However, a lot still depends on how active they are when it comes to free agency this year because if they draft a potential franchise qb then they need to fix this offensive line so that he doesn't end up like David Carr when Houston drafted him. Also, if they are active in free agency and plug the holes that are on this team then you definitely take him but if they sit back like they always do then you at least have to take that call to see what other teams offer. But in the end like I said earlier, I believe the pick will be Joe Burrow and I hope he turns out to be the face of this franchise for years to come instead of an Akili Smith rehash.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 08:03 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: It would have to be a fortune of 1st round and 2nd round picks.  3 from Miami is not enough IMO.  

I have seen way too many mediocre to bad first round picks to settle for a 5 swap and two later 1sts.  You can't pass on the potential of getting a QB like Burrow who could be the next great one.  

If he turns out to be the next Luck, Manning, Brees, Rogers, those guys are priceless.  

You take him, and you build around him.  It's a LOT easier to add the pieces you need than to find the franchise QB

Yes, Kingslayer said it perfectly for me.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 09:21 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: I respectfully disagree.  

Yes, Burrow alone will not fix the team, however he has a great chance of being the most important and hardest to find part of fixing said team.

To your point about the 50-50 shot.  You are correct that every first rounder is a coin flip, however not every first rounder is a possible game changing, franchise QB.  For instance, Kansas City.  They traded up and took a shot on Patrick Mahomes.  They saw him as a franchise QB and now the Chiefs are transformed into a Super Bowl contender, (currently winning the Super Bowl 7-3) .  Baltimore saw something in Lamar Jackson, and traded up to get him.  They flushed the toilet with a Super Bowl winning QB and built around Lamar Jackson.  MVP.  

My point is, a couple first round picks in the mid teens or 20's are not going to make much of a difference.  

A franchise QB will make all the difference and you have to roll the dice, take him , use free agency and the draft to build around him.  

Every other position can be improved on via the draft and free agency without breaking the bank.  You have ONE shot at drafting a franchise QB and if you pass on him for a QB who is made of glass and can't even walk to the podium on draft day along with a couple maybe, iffy , boring late round picks you are seriously gambling.  A bet I would not make
Pretty good summary for taking Burrows.  He's as close to a obvious pick as any at #1 over the past few years.  He has shown poise under pressure, accuracy, a strong arm and he's been a winner.  All the intangibles plus tangibles.  He has to be the Bengals pick.
If the Bengals had a strong record of good drafting over recent years, a trade could be considered.  Say first 4 picks in 2020 and the first 2 picks in 2021.  But they won 2 games last season precisely because their recent drafting has been terrible.  Go with the guy who has "can't miss" written all over him, even though he could be a miss.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 02:21 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Man, the draft can't get here soon enough.

[Image: HatefulVigilantAmericanredsquirrel-size_restricted.gif]

Just sitting here watching this over and over, hilarious!
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2020, 07:49 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: leave Bengledom IF MB goes with TJs premise and trades away first pick to the highest bidder?

If he gets offered all three of Miami's first round picks and their second round pick, he should really think about it.  I would. But at the same time, I agree with Kingslayer above about Burrow. We're in a win-win.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2020, 10:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: For background:  I was the one guy that was tentative to say Burrow until I really watched him closely at the end of the season.  I wanted Miami's haul, and then some.  I feared that a QB would get ruined here, and there were going to be other opportunities in the draft like Lawrence and Fields.  I also really wanted a VERY mobile QB.  

Then I saw Burrow put up a 60 burger on Oklahoma.  I saw him demonstrate not only great mobility but pocket awareness and elusiveness.  I was impressed but discounted a lot of what he did because I didn't have a very high opinion of Oklahoma's defense.  Then, I saw him put of 463 passing yards and 5 passing TDs against Clemson, who did have a strong defense.  I also saw him rush for 59 yards and another TD, for good measure.  

But stats only tell part of the picture.  Burrow is the whole package:  Confident, leader, tough, vision, arm strength, mobility, and perhaps most important:  He gets it.  The guy just gets it.  He has gratitude to the players and coaches that helped him along the way.  He could have been a cocky jerk and made a comment to OSU like "not bad for third string, huh?" but instead, he thanked them and had gratitude.  He is about his community and seems to be everything you could want out of a QB and (unlike a spoiled baby that should remain nameless) this guy is all about taking a program that is struggling and making a winner out of them.   Look what Kurt Warner did for the Rams and Cards.  That is the guy I want.

Right now, I would rather risk getting made fun of for turning away an entire draft (a la Akili Smith) than losing Burrow.  The Lions had a run of horrible busts at WR but they still took Calvin Johnson and he changed their franchise....and that was a WR.  Burrow can do what everyone has said Dalton can't and that is make everyone better around him.  

Now, do I think he will come in and be a top 5 QB his rookie season?  No.  But I want to see him have his career here, in Cincinnati.  I think it is going to be an amazing ride and I don't see him EVER taking his foot off the gas and lighting a victory cigar again until he hoists a Lombardi.  

Keep your picks, I want this kid here.  

Great post brother, was the same way before I saw Burrow play. The more I watch, I see greatness.

He just played better against the best teams and Clemson was the best Defense in college football.

The best QB's play their best in the biggest moments. That is what Burrow did.

Couldn't have a better time to get the first overall pick.
Reply/Quote