Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon Allen
Man, it just boggles my mind that there isn't a better option out there than this guy. He's terrible.

I know if Burrow goes down with a season ender (knock on wood) the season is most likely shot regardless, but if Allen needs to step in for one or two games, it could be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

He is maybe one of the worst backups in the league and I am perplexed on why we didn't at least try to upgrade this off-season though FA or the draft.

I really hope this season isn't torpedoed by our backup QB position. We all talk about lack of OL depth, but how we don't rag on the lack of depth at arguably the most important position on the field is weird...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I'd rather keep Browning or Plitt and groom them actually. They have upside and while Burrow is obviously the franchise the reason you groom a second QB anyway is both to have a backup who is able to operate the offense properly and if they coach up well we have potential trade bait.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 02:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Man, it just boggles my mind that there isn't a better option out there than this guy. He's terrible.

I know if Burrow goes down with a season ender (knock on wood) the season is most likely shot regardless, but if Allen needs to step in for one or two games, it could be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

He is maybe one of the worst backups in the league and I am perplexed on why we didn't at least try to upgrade this off-season though FA or the draft.

I really hope this season isn't torpedoed by our backup QB position. We all talk about lack of OL depth, but how we don't rag on the lack of depth at arguably the most important position on the field is weird...

I was highly disappointed (embarrassed?) with Allen last night.

I'm having a hard time believing he's better than Cam Newton or Mike Glennon.
It's also possible some other QBs become available after being cut in about a week.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 02:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Man, it just boggles my mind that there isn't a better option out there than this guy. He's terrible.

I'm not a fan of Allen, but what were you expecting out of a backup QB playing with a backup OL and receivers against a blitz happy defense playing their 1's?
Reply/Quote
I know Joe and him get along but if Joe is out god forbid, you can just put a check in the "L" column with Allen at the helm. He is bad and I would think there has to be a better alternative out there. Let's hope we dont have to find out if Joe gets hurt.
Reply/Quote
he was super inaccurate last night. Terrible.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm having a hard time believing he's better than Cam Newton or Mike Glennon.

Mike Glennon threw 10 picks in just 167 attempts last year on his way to posting a 49.7 passer rating.
Reply/Quote
As I said before, I was shocked they did not address the QB position in FA or the draft. That's kind of why I was pissy about the 2nd trade up in the draft. That traded pick could've been a QB.

The Bengals are 32nd ranked in backup QB, imo. I dislike just about everything about him.

Poor arm
Inaccurate arm
Poor vision
He knows he sucks and his body language just screams it.

Must be one of Zack's buddies because I've seen nothing to show me he belongs in this league. I seriously doubt that he could start in the CFL.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 03:07 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: As I said before, I was shocked they did not address the QB position in FA or the draft. That's kind of why I was pissy about the 2nd trade up in the draft. That traded pick could've been a QB.

The Bengals are 32nd ranked in backup QB, imo. I dislike just about everything about him.

Poor arm
Inaccurate arm
Poor vision
He knows he sucks and his body language just screams it.

Must be one of Zack's buddies because I've seen nothing to show me he belongs in this league. I seriously doubt that he could start in the CFL.

When he missed that wide open TD to Morgan they panned to Brandon Allen and like you said...he just knew he sucked. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 02:38 PM)Joelist Wrote: I'd rather keep Browning or Plitt and groom them actually. They have upside and while Burrow is obviously the franchise the reason you groom a second QB anyway is both to have a backup who is able to operate the offense properly and if they coach up well we have potential trade bait.

This ^^^^ With our QB coach our OC and Zac the QB's could learn so much, and we could benefit from them even if they never play a regular season game by being trade bait.

It is a disservice to the coaches and the younger players we cut to hold onto a guy like Allen.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was highly disappointed (embarrassed?) with Allen last night.

I'm having a hard time believing he's better than Cam Newton or Mike Glennon.
It's also possible some other QBs become available after being cut in about a week.

Cam Newton has thrown 11 TDs and 16 INTs in his 22 starts over the last 3 years. In his 5 starts last year he had 54.1% completion, 3 TD/5 INT, 61.4 QB Rating, and averaged 135.2 passing yards per game.

Mike Glennon threw 7 INT in his 4 starts last year. 10 INT in the 6 games he played in, with 53.9% completion and a 49.7 QB Rating.

I've been on team Replace Allen for awhile now, but you just took it too far, Ocho. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 02:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm not a fan of Allen, but what were you expecting out of a backup QB playing with a backup OL and receivers against a blitz happy defense playing their 1's?

But the problem wasn't the OL or the receivers. Allen's accuracy was atrocious and he was missing people that, in NFL standards, were wide open. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 03:07 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The Bengals are 32nd ranked in backup QB, imo. I dislike just about everything about him.

Not even close.  In '20 and '21 Allen had an 82.0 passer rating over 176 attempts.

Here are the passer ratings from some back up QBs last year (min 50 att)

Jake Fromm....... 38.9
Mike Glennon..... 49.7
P.J. Walker......... 56.5
Tim Boyle.......... 63.5
Jordan Love....... 68.7
M. Rudolph........ 70.8
Mike White........ 75.1
Tyler Huntly....... 76.6
Tyrod Taylor....... 78.7
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 02:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm not a fan of Allen, but what were you expecting out of a backup QB playing with a backup OL and receivers against a blitz happy defense playing their 1's?

More than 65 yards passing from a guy with a clean pocket for a whole half of football B Allen is a 6th year player that is 29 years old. Do not make excuses saying he was playing with backups. He has been in this system so long he should destroy anyone in preseason. He overthrew so many times even on the Trent catch on the sideline it was overthrown. Trent should not have had to work so hard to make that catch he had great position.
Reply/Quote
I get signing Allen year one of Zac's tenure given he was familiar with the scheme. That's no longer the case now. There's no reason to not try to develop someone else.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 03:22 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: He overthrew so many times even on the Trent catch on the sideline it was overthrown. Trent should not have had to work so hard to make that catch he had great position.

Ball placement was actually perfect. As I said in another thread, that is a timing/placement ball. You hit the back foot and loft it to the "bucket" which is exactly what he did. The thing is Trent, who I like, is 5'8 and not much of a speedster. Usually that ball is thrown to a guy who is 6 ft and faster which allows for it to fall into their outstretched arms while remaining on their feet and most likely running out of bounds with the catch. 

When you play with back up receivers things on timing patterns don't always look good, especially when you have spent all camp working with the starters. There were a few other balls that were issues with receivers not being where they are supposed to be which can come from not working a ton with those receivers and the receivers maybe not knowing where they are supposed to be (Like the comeback discussed in the other thread). In reality I thought he played fine last night in terms of putting the ball where it should be more often than not. 
Reply/Quote
Backup QB is not a huge issue for the Bengals. Now, OL depth, on the other hand..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 03:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Backup QB is not a huge issue for the Bengals.  Now, OL depth, on the other hand..

This is more where my head is. I think after week 1 they will sign a veteran, which I think a lot of teams are waiting for, as to not have to fully guarantee their deals if they don't need them. This is more so some of the bigger names out there, not just random young guys who may get cut soon.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 03:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Cam Newton has thrown 11 TDs and 16 INTs in his 22 starts over the last 3 years. In his 5 starts last year he had 54.1% completion, 3 TD/5 INT, 61.4 QB Rating, and averaged 135.2 passing yards per game.

Mike Glennon threw 7 INT in his 4 starts last year. 10 INT in the 6 games he played in, with 53.9% completion and a 49.7 QB Rating.

I've been on team Replace Allen for awhile now, but you just took it too far, Ocho. Lol

Those two were the only ones I see listed on the FAs still available, so that's why I chose them.
Maybe right now we're S.O.L.

But I get Newton and Glennon haven't been good as of late, but Brandon Allen has never been good.
At least Newton (and to a lesser extent Glennon) has had some decent seasons/games in the past.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 03:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not even close.  In '20 and '21 Allen had an 82.0 passer rating over 176 attempts.

Here are the passer ratings from some back up QBs last year (min 50 att)

Jake Fromm....... 38.9
Mike Glennon..... 49.7
P.J. Walker......... 56.5
Tim Boyle.......... 63.5
Jordan Love....... 68.7
M. Rudolph........ 70.8
Mike White........ 75.1
Tyler Huntly....... 76.6
Tyrod Taylor....... 78.7

Don't know why you're comparing 2 years of Allen's play to only 1 year of these other guys.

Allen has a CAREER passer rating of 77.5
Tyrod Taylor: 88.2
Mike Glennon: 78.6
Mason Rudolph: 80.9

And those are just the ones I know had multiple years of stats. So sure, Allen isn't the WORST backup QB in the league, but there are very few that are statistically worse than him.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote