Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon Allen
(08-22-2022, 03:48 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Well, I guess that'll be awesome if we can go back to 2020 or 2021 but in 2022 Brandon Allen sucks.

And here's Allen's breakdown by game....

1-6 record (1-5 as a starter)

2020:
NYG - 29 attempts, 58%, 136 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 67.6 rating
@MIA - 19 attempts, 57%, 153 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 79.5 rating
DAL - 36 attempts, 75%, 217 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 99.0 rating
@HOU - 37 attempts, 78%, 371 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INT, 126.5 rating
BAL - 21 attempts, 28%, 48 yards, 0 TD, 2 INTs, 0.0 rating

2021:
@CLE - 29 attempts, 51%, 136 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 76.2 rating

So only one game of 250+ yards.
Only one game of 2+ TDs.
That's not going to cut it if needing some crucial wins.

Note too that HOU and DAL were garbage in 2020. Prescott was on IR by that point, and HOU was one of the worst teams in the league after they fired Bill O'Brien 4 games into the season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 04:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: But the backups haven't... and guess who suited up last night? Against a starting D and getting blitzed constantly.

It is truly amazing the lack of nuance and context being thrown around on this board...

So you're saying Brandon Allen with our starters is a good quarterback? Give me a break.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 06:48 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: So you're saying Brandon Allen with our starters is a good quarterback? Give me a break.

No, I'm saying Brandon Allen with our starters does a shit - ton better than with backups against 1s.

Settle down, tough guy.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
They signed him as a guy that had some experience in the system, cut him and brought them back as they needed him. How is he not that guy now? Maybe Burrow and thr staff love intangibles we don't see, maybe there aren't a lot of options. If an old vet hit the market, they'd love to be a backup for a contender and this offense. Bring Allen back if needed. If you lose him, I don't see the gap between him and Browning.
Reply/Quote
Isn't there more "pro" football leagues now? Find someone.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Brandon Allen hasn't been lighting it up, but I have a feeling that with the starting OL, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon and Hurst, he would have a pretty good chance at looking better than he has in preseason so far. Morgan dropped at least one pass against NY, went right through his hands.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 06:48 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: So you're saying Brandon Allen with our starters is a good quarterback? Give me a break.

He had Chase for a few drives in the Browns game and he didn't do anything. Hit chase a few times to get the WR record but could not sustain a drive with the best rookie WR in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 05:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Allen won 1 out of 5 with the same team that Burrow won 2 of 10.

And Allen's 126.5 passer rating was better than any single game Burrow posted that season. 

No, Allen won 1 out of 4 with the same team that Burrow won 2 of 10. Also, Ryan Finley won 1 out of 1 games with the same team that Burrow won 2 of 10. Does that make Finley the better backup QB?

Also, Allen followed up that great game with a 0.0 passer rating. As Gregg Easterbrook is fond of saying, if every pass a QB throws clangs to the ground incomplete, said QB's rating would be 39. To get a 0.0 is absolutely HORRIBLE. Joe's lowest rating in his rookie season was 66.1 which just happened to be his first ever regular season game in the NFL. 

And since we're going to point to 1 singular game as proof of how good a backup QB is, Glennon is the better backup because in 2013 he posted back-to-back 137+ rating games (137.5 vs the Falcons, 138.4 vs the Lions) and no, these weren't mop-up or garbage time stats

(08-22-2022, 06:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think Brandon would respond well to more positive support from the fans.  Next game we should chant "Let's go, Brandon!" when the Bengals have the ball.

Okay, this was a great post. Rep. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 10:10 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Brandon Allen hasn't been lighting it up, but I have a feeling that with the starting OL, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon and Hurst, he would have a pretty good chance at looking better than he has in preseason so far. Morgan dropped at least one pass against NY, went right through his hands.

Brandon Allen has had one good game against a horrendous Houston defense and it's given people hope that he can be decent.
But he's really been crap about every other game aside from that.

It's probably just crying over spilt milk at this point, but I really do wish the Bengals had upgraded the spot during FA.
We're probably stuck with him this season unless some mediocre veteran is let go on cut day next week.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Get Jimmy G in here for crying out loud.
Reply/Quote
Listen it doesn't really matter. Joe Burrow is the train behind this success, it's definitely not Zac Taylor, so if Burrow goes down, the season is a loss regardless. Burrow made Ed Orgeron a winner.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 02:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Get Jimmy G in here for crying out loud.

Jimmy G. is making $24m per year. He's a good starting QB, so he would be a fantastic backup but he isn't taking that kind of a pay cut. 
Reply/Quote
Well I hope it was all on the WR's running the wrong routes cause I just saw we cut Drew Plitt today who looked much
better than Brandon Allen in the Preseason. I hope we cut Allen and keep Browning and put Plitt on the PS. I have no
faith in the guy, he cannot throw on the run, he runs into sacks, he panics when plays break down. At least Browning
knows how to get out of the pocket and throw on the run.

Allen has a weak arm too, I just don't know what there is to like except he was good at calling the coin flip for us last
year lol
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 04:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think you are confused here.  I never called for Chase to be benched based on how he looked in the pre-season last year like you are doing with Allen this year.

I have no idea what watching the games and looking at stats have to do with anything.

Hell, I knew that before clicking on the thread. People that compare Brandon Allen with Ja'Marr Chase usually don't know the difference between watching games and reading stats.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 03:44 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Jimmy G. is making $24m per year. He's a good starting QB, so he would be a fantastic backup but he isn't taking that kind of a pay cut. 

The 9ers will cut him before opening day to save that money. They aren't paying him the 25.5 million he's owed if he's on the opening day roster for him to sit on the bench behind Lance. They are only holding on to him in hopes of a trade partner. If they don't get one, they will release him. He really only has a chance to start at one place, Seattle. It would be nice to have him on the bench here.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 10:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The 9ers will cut him before opening day to save that money. They aren't paying him the 25.5 million he's owed if he's on the opening day roster for him to sit on the bench behind Lance. They are only holding on to him in hopes of a trade partner. If they don't get one, they will release him. He really only has a chance to start at one place, Seattle. It would be nice to have him on the bench here.

You may be correct, but I am not denying that he will be cut. I am denying he will take that kind of pay cut. If he's cut, he will go and be the Seahawks starting QB. He'd win that job quite easily. That being said, yes, it would be fantastic to have him on the bench here. He would easily be the best backup QB in the league. 
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 10:16 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: You may be correct, but I am not denying that he will be cut. I am denying he will take that kind of pay cut. If he's cut, he will go and be the Seahawks starting QB. He'd win that job quite easily. That being said, yes, it would be fantastic to have him on the bench here. He would easily be the best backup QB in the league. 

Yeah, if Jimmy G is cut - and I agree he is almost certainly getting cut - there are a few teams he could go start at QB for before considering a backup role elsewhere.

But he'd definitely be a HUGE upgrade over Brandon "I bet I could throw it over them there mountains" Allen
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 10:16 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: You may be correct, but I am not denying that he will be cut. I am denying he will take that kind of pay cut. If he's cut, he will go and be the Seahawks starting QB. He'd win that job quite easily. That being said, yes, it would be fantastic to have him on the bench here. He would easily be the best backup QB in the league. 

His best shot at starting was Cleveland if Watson got a full year suspension. Now he only has Seattle if they decide not to roll with Drew Locke. Otherwise,  he makes nothing unless he takes a pay cut to be a backup. I see him like a Flacco, pissed about being a backup, but smart enough not to sit home and pout about it, take the money and ride the pine hoping you get another shot. And while you are doing that, you might as well do it with a contender.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 10:22 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Yeah, if Jimmy G is cut - and I agree he is almost certainly getting cut - there are a few teams he could go start at QB for before considering a backup role elsewhere.

But he'd definitely be a HUGE upgrade over Brandon "I bet I could throw it over them there mountains" Allen

True, HUGE upgrade, HUGE. Mellow
Reply/Quote