Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon Allen Re-signed
(03-10-2021, 01:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Ryan had 2 TDs, 101 passer rating, and a victory over the steelers and yet some will look for the dark cloud in front of the silver lining. When's the last time a Bengal QB did that against the Steelers? 

Nobody is looking for a dark cloud. I loved that game, most fun I've had watching a Bengals game in several years. And I was pulling for Finley and enjoyed his performance. 

But does one game in which we were playing an injury riddled defense, a hobbled QB, Pig Ben,  aka Captain Checkdown that had 4 or 5 turnovers make me think Finley is the future ?

Be serious.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 01:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You mean you weren’t impressed with his 7/13 89 yard performance?? Man, hard to please some folks. Ninja

I'm sorry

If we keep him we're gonna win all dem Super Bowls  Who Dey

Ninja
Reply/Quote
I'm not invested in Finley, but you won't find me throwing shade at him after the Steelers game.

I mean he's won the same amount of games as a backup as Allen so really are we acting like either is that much better than the other. And his win was against the Steelers who tried to kill him on national TV. I tip my hat to him from here on out.

Finley has earned the right not to be slandered by me. Others can continue to attack him. I'm just speaking personally.

That win alone made him well worth a 4th round pick in my book. Even if cut.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 11:19 AM)jj22 Wrote: That win alone made him well worth a 4th round pick in my book. Even if cut.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Signing Dalton- at the right price at least- would be the best move, but it's not going to happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 11:31 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

I don't expect much out of our 4th round picks. A 4th round QB leading a win against the Steelers for the first win against them in 5 years, and scoring more points against them then we have in what 20 years or something like that, I'd say is well worth a tip of the hat from me. 

edit: maybe it wasn't 20 years, but they did have an interesting (sad) stat at it being the first time they've scored more than 24 points in some time. Like even during our "good" years when we did get a win or two.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 11:19 AM)jj22 Wrote: That win alone made him well worth a 4th round pick in my book. Even if cut.

Problem is they didn't spend just a 4th round pick on Finley. They spent a 4th and two 6ths on him (they traded up for him).

According to the pick trade value calculator, the Bengals even overpaid for Finley. (106.4 value gave up, 86 value received) Not that anyone is particularly crying over lost 6th rounders, but it's a bit absurd to trade up, using 3 draft picks for 1 QB who has nowhere near NFL level ability.

You can find players in the 4th round who contribute much more than Finley has, so there's no way he's been worth it. The Bengals have gotten Lawson, Billings, Bodine, Boling, and Atkins in the 4th round since 2010.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 06:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Problem is they didn't spend just a 4th round pick on Finley. They spent a 4th and two 6ths on him (they traded up for him).

According to the pick trade value calculator, the Bengals even overpaid for Finley. (106.4 value gave up, 86 value received) Not that anyone is particularly crying over lost 6th rounders, but it's a bit absurd to trade up, using 3 draft picks for 1 QB who has nowhere near NFL level ability.

You can find players in the 4th round who contribute much more than Finley has, so there's no way he's been worth it. The Bengals have gotten Lawson, Billings, Bodine, Boling, and Atkins in the 4th round since 2010.

5 players in 10 years (and just being generous given I wouldn't count Billings, Bodine). We've done well in the 4th round but I wouldn't expect much from a 4th round pick. 

I forgot about the trade up. Thought we traded up for MJ. 

I'm not here defending Finley or promoting him to keep his job. I'm just saying personally, he won't hear any shade from me after that Steelers win.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 12:46 AM)Joelist Wrote: Really wasn't. Just not sure we should be carrying 3 QBs. 

Between covid and not wanting to rush burrow back too soon, I think we have to have three.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 06:27 PM)Benton Wrote: Between covid and not wanting to rush burrow back too soon, I think we have to have three.

in that case i expect we should be adding another Vet and releasing finley.  
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 09:18 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, this is where I am. Even last year I desperately wanted them to get a proper vet backup for Burrow. There's just too much value in being able to pick the mind of an 8+ year vet who has made some starts here and there to worry about the extra $2m you save going with Allen or Finley. 

Think this is Zac Taylor's insecurity showing. Seems he would rather have a younger less talented/experienced guy who won't buck the idea of throwing 42 times a game. Alex Smith is only 1 year younger than Taylor, and probably knows far more about being a QB.

Same reason why Taylor wouldn't go out and hire an experienced DC, and same reason why Taylor hired a stand-in "OC" who wouldn't mind letting Taylor control play calling.

This is why I would have gone after Fitzy....
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 10:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This is why I would have gone after Fitzy....

I wonder how Fitzpatrick would be as a coach or OC.
He obviously knows the game and has played for a bunch of teams to learn a bunch of different styles, techniques, and schemes.
It also doesn't hurt that he's a Harvard grad.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 12:47 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You can't be serious

Finley isn't an NFL level QB

Agree with this about as much as one can. Finley is horrible at the nfl level. I’d cut him even if it didn’t save money
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 11:19 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I wonder how Fitzpatrick would be as a coach or OC.
He obviously knows the game and has played for a bunch of teams to learn a bunch of different styles, techniques, and schemes.
It also doesn't hurt that he's a Harvard grad.

I think he would be a great coach, if he decides to pursue it. He knows the game inside and out and knows the position. But we have a whole staff of QB's on the coaching staff, I want Fitz to be the backup because he always has 4 or 5 wins in him until he starts dropping off. Hopefully that would give Burrow time to get over any minor ding. 
Reply/Quote
I'd take Alex Smith as a back-up. Serviceable, veteran who has winning record, very smart. He has been through a leg injury ( far more severe ), and came back to play once again. I think Burrow and the Bengals could benefit from him
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:43 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Bengals re-singing him to a one year deal.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/3/9/22322513/brandon-allen-bengals-free-agency-2021-nfl-news-contract?fbclid=IwAR1oUzz6yHP7sZICa5qm_BXksvU8XDdnTeKbx4evhYXGOR4OU45nYQas4T4

He's serviceable, which is about all you can ask for in a backup. Good move, IMO.

(03-09-2021, 11:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: Solid move. Hopefully the next step its cutting Finley.

We'll always be thankful for that W over the Steelers. Outside of that, he was awful.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:43 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Bengals re-singing him to a one year deal.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/3/9/22322513/brandon-allen-bengals-free-agency-2021-nfl-news-contract?fbclid=IwAR1oUzz6yHP7sZICa5qm_BXksvU8XDdnTeKbx4evhYXGOR4OU45nYQas4T4

At least this guy has had a good game, for it. I agree with others that Finley is the guy who should be on his way out.

He played not to lose one game. The D won that game.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 04:48 PM)Destro Wrote: I'd take Alex Smith as a back-up. Serviceable, veteran who has winning record, very smart. He has been through a leg injury ( far more severe ), and came back to play once again. I think Burrow and the Bengals could benefit from him

Yeah, down with Alex being our backup for sure.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 05:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, down with Alex being our backup for sure.

is Alex down to be a Backup seems like he could find a starting role somewhere. with as much QB movement as is expected this offseason
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 05:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: is Alex down to be a Backup seems like he could find a starting role somewhere. with as much QB movement as is expected this offseason

It is a good question.
Reply/Quote