Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon Allen re-signed
(03-17-2022, 02:39 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You have guys like Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, Jacoby Brissett, Mariota, Jameis, Tyrod Taylor out there and we are running with Brandon Wilson. He literally might be the worst backup in the league. 

I thought I'd revisit the idea of upgrading the backup QB after some recent signings.

I definitely understand Weezy's sentiment of wanting to upgrade the backup QB spot, but after Mariota signing with the Falcons to be a starter I wanted to check out the contracts of some of the backup-caliber QBs that have been mentioned in various posts on this board.

Brissett - 1 year, $4.65 million (4.5 guaranteed)
Mariota - 2 year, $18.75 million 
Taylor - 2 year, $11 million (can reach 17 million with incentives)

Other players:

Bridegwater - 1 year, $6.5 million (all guaranteed)
Trubisky - 2 year, $14.25 million (can reach 27 million with incentives)
Winston - 2 year, $28 million (15.2 guaranteed)

Upgrading the backup QB position apparently is not cheap in the NFL. So unless a team pays big dollars, they have to go the route of Allen (Bengals), Henne (Cheifs), McCoy (Cardinals), or Daniel (Charges) as examples of guys signing team-friendly, 1 year deals.

If Fitzy and Dalton sign, it will be interesting to see the dollar amount they get. Ultimately, Allen's probably most valuable for the in-game contributions he can make by talking to Burrow and other players on the offense.

Edit: I also recognize some of these guys who have been backups were signed to start: Mariota, Trubisky, & Winston.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There are two kinds of back ups in the NFL, one for teams who think they will need to use them and ones who won't be used unless shit hits the fan. Teams that aren't sold on their starters, or that may roll with a rookies, go for guys who are just outside the range of starter because they completely expect them to take snaps. Teams that have elite QB's tend to go for more "QB Coach" type guys who they can have tied closely to the QB to give perspective and be a sounding board.

The reason here is usually two fold 1. the money they need for a better option is needed to maintain a championship roster 2. Bill Polian once said when asked why they didn't have a better back up for Manning "If 18 goes down we are F****d, and we don't plan for F****d. We are probably a little of 1 and a little of 2. Allen can get us through a game or two if needed assuming the rest of the roster is in tact, but in reality any real shot of doing anything goes out the window with 90% of back ups if Joe misses more than 2-3 games so planning for F****d is pretty futile.
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow likes Allen, and he is cheap. I would imagine he is the backup for the foreseeable future. I don't have a problem with it honestly, he at least has a decent chunk of game experience and limits big turnovers.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
He has a lot of experience in the system as well, which is invaluable on the coaching side (which has been alluded to already).

I just think back to the Dallas and Houston games from '20 and see what he's capable of, when he has *some* time to throw; he isn't a bad backup at all, but probably at the bottom-tier of, "average;" cerebral and helpful to Burrow.

Someone like that is more than enough for our team.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
As a razorback fan, I will always have respect for the dude. Hopefully he’s not needed too much, except in the 2nd half of blowouts….
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:39 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You have guys like Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, Jacoby Brissett, Mariota, Jameis, Tyrod Taylor out there and we are running with Brandon Wilson. He literally might be the worst backup in the league. 

Hell of a promotion for Wilson from returning kickoffs and playing STs to backup QB..  Shocked

Look, for most teams backup QB is usually the guy they turn to if the starter goes down and they assume the worst. That's not always the case, but most teams it is.. Money plays a huge part in it too.. A lot of the above names, Brissett, Mariota, Dalton, etc., are NOT going to play for the same money Allen will if called upon.. Dalton would want 10M to be a backup.. Not happening..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I was one that was for upgrading the spot. But seeing what some of these guys got in FA, I can see why we resigned Allen. With a hopefully fixed offensive line, if JB9 were to miss a game or two, we can finally lean on the run game until he comes back.

I’d still bring in UDFAs with the purpose of not just camp arms, but potential competition for that backup spot and a place on the PS.
Reply/Quote