Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Break Out players
5.) Auden Tate WR/Flex TE- He's been underutilized since he's been here but I think that changes when he gets here. I see him taking Eiferts role this season and he will have a monster year.
2020 projected stats- 700 yards & 7 TDs
4.) John Ross- He was over drafted in 2017 but that doesn't mean he isn't any good. He shown break out ability at times during his career. His speed is a game changer when he is in the line up.
2020 projected stats- 850 yards & 8 TDs
3.) Germaine Pratt- one of the most encouraging signs at the end of last season was Pratts play. The kid's sideline to sideline speed looked next Level.
Projected stats- 110 Tackles (80 solo), 10 TFls, 5 PD, 2 sacks.
2.) Andrew Brown- He played more end the DT which was a mistake last season. However he impressed me when he was DT. Although his stats won't show it. I think he plays a big time role as the Nickel DT in between Geno & Dunlap.
Projected Stats- 5 sacks, 12 QB Hits, 8 TFLs
1.) Carl Lawson- some would say he has already broken out but I think he his due for a superstar like season. In the last 8 games he had 4 sacks and 20 QB Hits. To me he is a guy that has shown he can be a huge game wrecker. However this season he is going to show that he is a DPOY candidate.
Projected Stats- 16 sacks, 36 QB Hits, and 12 TFLs.
Who are your breakout players? Who is on the list you agree with or disagree with?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I love Carl Lawson and I hope you're right but I just don't see him hitting those sack numbers. The story all camp last year was how he was tearing it up (I witnessed it myself when I was in town in visiting). But then during the season it didn't translate to sacks. He gets in and disruptes which is great but would be nice to see him finish more.

I also really hope Pratt continues developing, you nailed the side to side stuff, that's what we need more of and hope he dominates that space.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
We desperately need Germain Pratt to have a break out season, and I have faith in him.

Darius Phillips could be one of the top 3 CBs by opening day. Waynes is not that great. Phillips should also get a shot as a return man. He had 6 combined PR/KR tds in college. Brandon Wilson looked like a star returning kick offs last year but he has never returned punts before.

Hubbard could easily get 10+ sacks this season. He had 8.5 last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 05:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We desperately need Germain Pratt to have a break out season, and I have faith in him.

Darius Phillips could be one of the top 3 CBs by opening day.  Waynes is not that great.  Phillips should also get a shot as a return man.  He had 6 combined PR/KR tds in college.  Brandon Wilson looked like a star returning kick offs last year but he has never returned punts before.  

Hubbard could easily get 10+ sacks this season.  He had 8.5 last year.

Phillips is an excellent returner.  But if he does end up playing a lot of CB, and based on his ball skills, he certainly should, is having him be a returner a good idea?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 05:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We desperately need Germain Pratt to have a break out season, and I have faith in him.

Darius Phillips could be one of the top 3 CBs by opening day.  Waynes is not that great.  Phillips should also get a shot as a return man.  He had 6 combined PR/KR tds in college.  Brandon Wilson looked like a star returning kick offs last year but he has never returned punts before.  

Hubbard could easily get 10+ sacks this season.  He had 8.5 last year.
Phillips is an interesting one but I'm not sure if he gets an opportunity to play that much unless it is because of injury.
I like Hubbard a lot and I think he has a good season for us again but I really like the upside of Brown inside and Lawson on the edge. I don't see Dunlap going anywhere and I think Atkins will bounce back. Our D- Line is loaded and they give us huge production.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 05:30 PM)McC Wrote: Phillips is an excellent returner.  But if he does end up playing a lot of CB, and based on his ball skills, he certainly should, is having him be a returner a good idea?

PacMan
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 04:58 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: I love Carl Lawson and I hope you're right but I just don't see him hitting those sack numbers. The story all camp last year was how he was tearing it up (I witnessed it myself when I was in town in visiting). But then during the season it didn't translate to sacks. He gets in and disruptes which is great but would be nice to see him finish more. 

Lawson just needs to stay heathy.  He has only played 1159 defensive snaps in 3 seasons.  Full time DEs generally play 800-900 snaps a year, so Lawsons 14.5 career sacks is pretty impressive.  He just needs to be healthy and playing more snaps.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 05:30 PM)McC Wrote: Phillips is an excellent returner.  But if he does end up playing a lot of CB, and based on his ball skills, he certainly should, is having him be a returner a good idea?

I saw a study about injuries on special teams, and they usually involve blockers and tacklers running into each other at full speed.  The return men are not really injured at a high rate.

Of course risk of injury increases any time a player is on the field more often.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 05:35 PM)spazz70 Wrote: PacMan

But he mainly did it when we needed a big return.  He didn't return full time.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I thought for sure this thread would read:

1. Joe Burrow QB
2. Joe Burrow QB
3. Joe Burrow QB
4. Joe Burrow QB
5. Joe Burrow QB
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

He used to be, in college.

Aside from the good return against Buffalo, he looked HORRENDOUS on returns last year, when he came back from injury.

His vision has seemingly disappeared, as he runs into crowds (literally all of his KO returns) and doesn't see others running into him (his INT return against Cleveland).

Wilson as returner and Erickson for Punts.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the breakout player left off that list is Michael Jordan. Maybe because ppl don't see offensive linemen as "breakout players," but he was an early entry junior who never redshirted. If he had stayed in school and was in this year's draft you might be looking at a 2nd round pick. He and Pratt are the two guys we really need to break out.

I love Auden Tate, but I think he is what he is at this point. Very good #4 WR.

I don't think Andrew Brown even makes the team this year.

Greg Cosell also identified Lawson as a breakout player. I could see it. With more talent, and if we're ahead in more games maybe he gets more opportunities for sacks.
Reply/Quote
I see you’re still on the Auden Tate as a TE thing...lol

Reply/Quote
Jonah Williams
Reply/Quote
John Ross doesn't have 800 yards for his career... I don't see it this year. Maybe next year for someone else...

Bust.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 08:02 PM)jason Wrote: John Ross doesn't have 800 yards for his career... I don't see it this year. Maybe next year for someone else...

Bust.

If he stays healthy I could easily see him putting up those numbers. Especially with a QB that can actually hit him in stride. Hell, he had 500 yds in 8 games last year.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 08:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If he stays healthy I could easily see him putting up those numbers. Especially with a QB that can actually hit him in stride. Hell, he had 500 yds in 8 games last year.

Maybe... But didn't he have almost 200 yards week 1? I was at the home opener, and he had a 60 yrd garbage time TD after being a non factor all game. Then he has the problems of being unavailable, and he drops the ball a lot.

But Davante Parker finally broke out last year; so who knows?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 08:51 PM)jason Wrote: Maybe... But didn't he have almost 200 yards week 1? I was at the home opener, and he had a 60 yrd garbage time TD after being a non factor all game. Then he has the problems of being unavailable, and he drops the ball a lot.

But Davante Parker finally broke out last year; so who knows?

He had 158 against Seattle.

The talent is clearly there. He just needs to clean up the drops, and stay healthy. Obviously the latter is a big if.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 09:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He had 158 against Seattle.

The talent is clearly there. He just needs to clean up the drops, and stay healthy. Obviously the latter is a big if.

I remember cussing him and texting my friend that he was garbage early in that Seattle game, and then he went off. Then it was "Oh man... He's arrived!!!". People were being told to eat crow on here that night...

He's frustrating for sure. Probably have a good year this year now that his contract will be up.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 04:02 PM)J24 Wrote: 5.) Auden Tate WR/Flex TE- He's been underutilized since he's been here but I think that changes when he gets here. I see him taking Eiferts role this season and he will have a monster year.
2020 projected stats- 700 yards & 7 TDs
4.) John Ross- He was over drafted in 2017 but that doesn't mean he isn't any good. He shown break out ability at times during his career. His speed is a game changer when he is in the line up.
2020 projected stats- 850 yards & 8 TDs
3.) Germaine Pratt- one of the most encouraging signs at the end of last season was Pratts play. The kid's sideline to sideline speed looked next Level.
Projected stats- 110 Tackles (80 solo), 10 TFls, 5 PD, 2 sacks.
2.) Andrew Brown- He played more end the DT which was a mistake last season. However he impressed me when he was DT. Although his stats won't show it.  I think he plays a big time role as the Nickel DT in between Geno & Dunlap.
Projected Stats- 5 sacks, 12 QB Hits,  8 TFLs
1.) Carl Lawson- some would say he has already broken out but I think he his due for a superstar like season. In the last 8 games he had 4 sacks and 20 QB Hits. To me he is a guy that has shown he can be a huge game wrecker. However this season he is going to show that he is a DPOY candidate.
Projected Stats- 16 sacks, 36 QB Hits, and 12 TFLs.
Who are your breakout players? Who is on the list you agree with or disagree with?

Of the guys you named I like Pratt, Brown and Lawson who I think will flourish in a 3-4 hybrid. Pratt could be a great stack 
backer with his build, speed and ability at tackling and in pass coverage. Andrew Brown just fits as an End in a 3-4 and Law
is one of the best pass rushers in the league if he can stay healthy.

I know Hubbard has become a favorite around here and has put up good stats but he could really thrive. Hubbard. Rock On 

On Offense, my guy is Ross, he just needs to stay healthy and he is right now and he has already practiced with Burrow and
is healthy right now. A guy like Burrow could get Ross right mentally as well. I have backed Ross from the beginning and 
always said injuries are his biggest problems. We will see with this man, still rooting for him.
Reply/Quote