Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Break out player for 2017.....
Will Clarke.

1. He is a better athlete than many here give him credit for. At the combine he weighed over 270 and ran a 4.77 forty. He also showed some agility placing in the top 10 among D-linemen in the three-cone drill.

2. He has produced more than a lot of fans realize. Last year has a better sack percentage (1 every 93 snaps) than Carlos Dunlap (1 every 105 snaps).

I generally do not expect huge improvements from a player after 3 full seasons in the league, but Clarke may be a lot more productive just due to getting more snaps in 2017.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Will Clarke.

1.  He is a better athlete than many here give him credit for.  At the combine he weighed over 270 and ran a 4.77 forty.  He also showed some agility placing in the top 10 among D-linemen in the three-cone drill.

2.  He has produced more than a lot of fans realize.  Last year has a better sack percentage (1 every 93 snaps) than Carlos Dunlap (1 every 105 snaps).

I generally do not expect huge improvements from a player after 3 full seasons in the league, but Clarke may be a lot more productive just due to getting more snaps in 2017.
It'll probably again come down to getting snaps.  And he'll probably have a brand new rookie to compete with for those snaps, possibly even a first round pick.  Still seems like an uphill climb for him to break out.  Might be an uphill lcimb for him to just get on the field.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Kevin Z. He gonna break right on outta here. I don't know that you can really claim a first round pick as breakout but I think wj3 shows he's gonna be a stud this year
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Clarke and WJ3 are good candidates, but since they're taken, I'll say Rex Burkhead.

If Hill continues playing the way he has, I give Rex a small chance of taking his place, and if he does, I think he'll produce solid numbers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I said Will Clarke last year and he improve but not he didn't have a breakout season. Still a good choice for this year.

I'm gonna say Ogbuehi. Just because.
Reply/Quote
Andrew Billings... I think he will get the opportunity, provided the Bengals don't do something stupid like bring back Peko. He will get to play next to Atkins, so unlikely to get double teams.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
All of the players that I had in mind, have already been mentioned. Billings, Clarke, WJIII, however not sure that I could consider Billings and WJIII having good seasons as a breakout, as they were expected to be great (by the folks on here, anyway). So, I will have to agree with Fred, and go with Will Clarke. He showed periods of dominance, when he got into a rhythm, good power and explosive burst. When he is dialed in on the scheme, and what the offense is going to do, he can be dangerous. He still had some moments where he got fooled on what he thought the play was going to be, and got lost before he could adjust, but that is something that more reps can help with.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Jake Fisher. He will start at RT and play well.

I hope.
Reply/Quote
Would a "breakout" player not need to be a player that has played before in the NFL? Just asking.

Clarke makes sense....WJIII and Billings not so much.

Using the fantasy league definition as this is really where i hear this term used most often.

A "breakout player" is a fantasy football player who has been ineffective or marginal in the past, but who suddenly becomes a fantasy football stud one year. Breakout players happen every year in fantasy football, and the teams who acquire those breakout players often challenge for their league title.

I like the Clarke pick though...Like watching him whenever he got his chances.
Reply/Quote
Clarke is probably the favorite, so I'll mix it up and say Hill. He's on what will likely be his last shot at proving himself to be a three down back, so he'll be a new player. He's got better with fumbles, so really all he has to do is work on running through people again to be a great RB.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 04:07 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Clarke is probably the favorite, so I'll mix it up and say Hill. He's on what will likely be his last shot at proving himself to be a three down back, so he'll be a new player. He's got better with fumbles, so really all he has to do is work on running through people again to be a great RB.

Hill's not a bad guess, but his success will depend entirely on how Zamp/Marv have him running. But my guess is Hewitt, if they let him play the way he's supposed to play.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 03:34 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Jake Fisher. He will start at RT and play well.

I hope.

I hope he doesn't start at RT, but if it does, I hope he plays well.

(03-05-2017, 04:07 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Clarke is probably the favorite, so I'll mix it up and say Hill. He's on what will likely be his last shot at proving himself to be a three down back, so he'll be a new player. He's got better with fumbles, so really all he has to do is work on running through people again to be a great RB.

Ugh, I could see Hill having a great season again for his contract year. Take the Doug Martin approach. Great rookie season, two crap seasons, great contract year, get paid in FA, go back to being crap. It's why I am hesitant on Kirkpatrick in FA, too. People who wait until their contract year to put it together always make me hesitate. Was it coincidence, or was it the lure of getting paid? How will they react after getting paid again?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Hill would be a candidate for "comeback" player, as he already broke the scene in his Rookie season.  He's just had injuries and failure since then.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Give me PJ Dawson
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Will Clarke.

1.  He is a better athlete than many here give him credit for.  At the combine he weighed over 270 and ran a 4.77 forty.  He also showed some agility placing in the top 10 among D-linemen in the three-cone drill.

2.  He has produced more than a lot of fans realize.  Last year has a better sack percentage (1 every 93 snaps) than Carlos Dunlap (1 every 105 snaps).

I will go with Andrew Billings cause he is here, it will take a bit for him to find his feet after the injury but by
mid season he will break out with Atkins freeing him up. Teams will not be able to double both of these guys
and since Billings is more of an unknown he will benefit. He is too strong to not beat his man.

If Burkhead is back i agree with Shake and he will be a breakout RB for this team or wherever he goes. He is
quick with great hands out of the backfield, good vision, nice cutback ability and he runs with will power. Rex
gives it his all on every play. There is no quit in him.
Reply/Quote
Tyler Boyd. We saw a few times earlier in the season where he would be open in the seam and Dalton just didn't see him. Think if they give him more shots on the outside and more chemistry with Dalton, it wouldn't surprise me if he has a breakout year. Not saying a 1,000 yard season. But a still will have a good season.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
No Hill! He's gotta go.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 04:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Give me PJ Dawson

I've been waiting for the day for him to start,. Looked great his rookie year during camp and preseason, saw nothing.

Last year he wasn't as explosive, but still very solid, although people saw it as a negative because he wasn't making big plays like he did.

They need to give the kid a shot.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 04:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Give me PJ Dawson

That would be nice.  We do have a need at the position.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Since no one has mentioned him, I will. Nick Vigil. This is every bit as much hoping as it is predicting.

Reply/Quote