Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brexit Bungle
(03-12-2019, 10:24 AM)bfine32 Wrote: According the NPR there was some big news on this today. Admittedly, I cannot comprehend all that's going on. Seems like Ireland is a big sticking point and May possibly makes Trump look like Global leader of the year.

Here is a decent article explaining things that I found while being just as confused as you: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/30/world/europe/irish-backstop-brexit.html

I also cannot believe May hasn't been given the boot by now. They are set to vote on the latest proposal at 7 p.m., GMT, so that's the big news. That is 2 hours from now, or 3 p.m. EDT.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47533666
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Can my friends more understanding of this situation explain this to me so I can know if I like it or not:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/uk-prime-minister-push-election-084002393.html
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-29-2019, 08:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Can my friends more understanding of this situation explain this to me so I can know if I like it or not:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/uk-prime-minister-push-election-084002393.html

Tl;dr version: Johnson put forth a bill that passed calling for an early election that is gambling he will gain a majority in Parliament (which he does not currently have). The idea is that with this they can pass their Brexit deal. That's really the most important part.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-29-2019, 09:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Tl;dr version: Johnson put forth a bill that passed calling for an early election that is gambling he will gain a majority in Parliament (which he does not currently have). The idea is that with this they can pass their Brexit deal. That's really the most important part.

So Parliament is going to vote on Brexit (Johnson's deal) in early December? So if it passes Brxit is a done deal; if not they're back to square one? 

(10-29-2019, 09:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So Parliament is going to vote on Brexit (Johnson's deal) in early December? So if it passes Brxit is a done deal; if not they're back to square one? 

That would be the case, yes. Between now and the election, Johnson will work on the deal with the EU (because there are always tweaks that can be had) and present it to the new Parliament after the election. If it fails then they will either go without a deal or have to get another extension. If Johnson gets a majority then the deal will be done.

(10-30-2019, 08:26 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: That would be the case, yes. Between now and the election, Johnson will work on the deal with the EU (because there are always tweaks that can be had) and present it to the new Parliament after the election. If it fails then they will either go without a deal or have to get another extension. If Johnson gets a majority then the deal will be done.

Which is the answer to "can we have another vote on Brexit".  No we can't...that was it, no more...final word!  However we can keep calling for elections until we get enough people in office to force Brexit through even though the circumstances and realities of it have been brought to light and that changes the perspective on it.

I say if they can't re-vote for one they shouldn't re-vote for the other.  Boris needs to work harder to pass it with what he has.   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I'm going to Brexit the Bengals.

Means that I'm telling I quit but in fact, I stay in this board.

Time for them to go.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

I don't want to start a new thread so I'll leave the President's misunderstanding of foreign policy and history here.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Despite how mad it makes those outside of Britain it appears their wishes will come true after they are forced to vote again:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7787045/NOW-Brexit-Nigel-Farage-jubilant-Brexiteers-celebrate-exit-poll.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

Quote:Jubilant Brexiteers are celebrating tonight as exit polls put Boris Johnson on course for a large majority - meaning he is set to take Britain out of the EU on January 31.

The problem with organizations like the EU, is that minority opinions want to make all of the rules, while giving members paying most of the bills only get a share vote. Good for Britain, and hopefully good riddance to the EU.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(12-13-2019, 12:09 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Despite how mad it makes those outside of Britain it appears their wishes will come true after they are forced to vote again:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7787045/NOW-Brexit-Nigel-Farage-jubilant-Brexiteers-celebrate-exit-poll.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

LOL, I think this soon-to-be-Brexit makes at least ONE person outside of Britain happy.
(12-13-2019, 06:01 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL, I think this soon-to-be-Brexit makes at least ONE person outside of Britain happy.

Admittedly; I am happy the British people get what they want. I know that kinda puts me in the minority around here.