Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brexit Referendum Day
(06-23-2016, 07:09 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Like in Scotland a couple of years ago when the government allowed 16 year olds to vote so the vote could be influenced?

Ninja

The EU could face a tidal wave of ref's if Brexit wins .  I just don't see those people giving up that kind of power without shenanigans.    
Investors in the Foreign exchange are placing their bets on the remain camp.
Remain will probably edge it out. And that's a shame... The EU is a joke and needs disbanded

The death of an unknown MP probably swung it.
(06-23-2016, 06:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yougov exit poll has "stay" at 52%, "leave" at 48%

I missed this. That was an online poll done today of about 5000 people. There was no exit poll, today.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Here is a link to a live results page in case anyone is interested: http://www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu_referendum/results
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
The additional 48 hours they allowed people to register to vote is being considered the difference.
(06-23-2016, 08:56 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The additional 48 hours they allowed people to register to vote is being considered the difference.

Good, either way it goes.  Anyone who actually cares about the democratic process should want as many people who are legally eligible to vote to do so.  Why would this bother you?
(06-23-2016, 10:59 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Good, either way it goes.  Anyone who actually cares about the democratic process should want as many people who are legally eligible to vote to do so.  Why would this bother you?
I don't have a dog in this fight; however, I see no reason to make an additional registration period for those that failed to meet the given time line. Now if there were some secrecy or ambiguity over what was required to register for this vote within the established time line then I retract my statement. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-23-2016, 11:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't have a dog in this fight; however, I see no reason to make an additional registration period for those that failed to meet the given time line. Now if there were some secrecy or ambiguity over what was required to register for this vote within the established time line then I retract my statement. 

Even if 100% true, it doesn't answer my question.  Why would anyone who cares about democracy not want every legally eligible voter to cast a ballot?
(06-23-2016, 11:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Even if 100% true, it doesn't answer my question.  Why would anyone who cares about democracy not want every legally eligible voter to cast a ballot?

I would say that those not caring enough about the issue to register in the given window, most likely don't really care or are not educated on the measure. I get the let everybody vote slant; however, lines are established and should be followed.

Like I said, I don't care if UK is part of EU or not,  but I would like to know more about the reasoning of why the extended registration process besides getting more people to vote. Perhaps I'll look into it.  

EDIT: I have seen where "leave" now has 51% of the vote. 

Still very close but leave is up to 52%

(06-23-2016, 10:59 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Good, either way it goes.  Anyone who actually cares about the democratic process should want as many people who are legally eligible to vote to do so.  Why would this bother you?

He doesn't want real constituents to vote. Only peacocking Low-T lowlifes like himself. 
(06-23-2016, 11:09 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Also, the fact that many in the stay camp have thrown the racism tag around I think people are more likely to say they'll vote stay and in fact vote leave when it comes down to it.

I'm going to give myself a big 'ole Donald Trump style pat on the back for this one.  Tongue
Brexit wins!!

Great day for freedom and this should be awakening for the EU.

[Image: Cjvmybi.jpg]

not good.  That's when you get uninformed voters.    It's not always a good thing for everyone to have a vote.   

What your saying sounds nice but I wouldn't want the people voting who don't care about issues.   The people who get their news from Comedy Central 
(06-24-2016, 01:50 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm going to give myself a big 'ole Donald Trump style pat on the back for this one.  Tongue

Good job.   The immigration issue won it for Brexit.   Now the dominoes will fall across Europe.    Netherlands will be next.   
(06-24-2016, 02:20 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's not always a good thing for everyone to have a vote.   

Insanely disturbing comment.  Please let us know when you've determined who gets to decide who votes and who doesn't.  I'm sure the answer will be enlightening.
(06-24-2016, 02:23 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Insanely disturbing comment.  Please let us know when you've determined who gets to decide who votes and who doesn't.  I'm sure the answer will be enlightening.

You asking me to set up a hypothetical? 

I don't think we are better off when more people vote .  Especially with the state of the media these days plus our schools.  

The voters should be motivated and informed.   
(06-24-2016, 02:20 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: not good.  That's when you get uninformed voters.    It's not always a good thing for everyone to have a vote.   

What your saying sounds nice but I wouldn't want the people voting who don't care about issues.   The people who get their news from Comedy Central 

(06-24-2016, 02:28 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You asking me to set up a hypothetical? 

I don't think we are better off when more people vote .  Especially with the state of the media these days plus our schools.  

The voters should be motivated and informed.   

Says the guy with a BA in doing the splits.