Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bring Jay Gruden back?
Whats your thoughts on bringing Jay Gruden back as our HC once he gets fired in Washington?

There should be others higher on our candidate list but lets look at the Pros and Cons of hiring Jay...

Pros
- Has HC experience
- Knows the Bengals front office and their drama
- Familiar with our players/system
- Did a solid job as OC here
- Offensive Minded

Cons
- 26-34 in 4 seasons in Washington
- Was part of his success due to Sean McVay
- ?????

Is he enough of a disciplinarian to straighten up guys like Vontaze? Lets hear your thoughts.....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I would've guessed his record was better than that in DC. All in all, he's seemed to be able to beat bad teams, and struggled with the good ones... Sound familiar? I don't think it'd be a terrible hire. He's just not my first pick. Sadly I'm afraid that he's a better hire than who they end up with.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Hellllllllll NO!!! His offense sputters when it is needed the most. Screw him.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I'll be blunt. I don't think he's good enough. He's not a 'in your face' type of coach. He seems to me like a white M. Lewis. I would gamble on him if he was our only other option from an in-house promotion. But hypothetically speaking, please look somewhere else Mike...
Reply/Quote
If it came down to Jay or someone on the current staff, then I would definitely take Jay. However, I'd prefer someone who has never been a part of the organization. 

I'm really hoping they take a long look at coordinators like Reich and Patricia, and perhaps ex head coaches like Shurmur and Haley.
Reply/Quote
Well, I like him better than Marv... But still no. He's reminds me too much of Marv
Reply/Quote
I like Jay as an OC.  I do not like Jay as a HC.  He seems like more of a natural born adviser than a leader.  More of a schemer than a general.  More of a creative guy who does his best job when the pressure is off.  Some things that I remember off the top of my head that give me pause:

He gave a very wishy-washy sort of interview on the Dalton/Kaepernick debate one time when Kaep was still highly regarded and after he was done with the Bengals.  It sounded as though he was making an excuse for not taking Kaep because Dalton was more polished and the Bengals needed a QB immediately.  

He got into an argument with James Harrison when JH hit Green a bit too hard for his liking in practice.  JH just laughed it off.  Gruden seemed to drop the issue rather than double down on his point.  Had JH gotten into an argument of sorts with someone like Zimmer or even Tomlin, I do not think that JH would have gotten the last word in lol.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 12:21 PM)jason Wrote: I would've guessed his record was better than that in DC. All in all, he's seemed to be able to beat bad teams, and struggled with the good ones... Sound familiar? I don't think it'd be a terrible hire. He's just not my first pick. Sadly I'm afraid that he's a better hire than who they end up with.

In his defense the moronic owner insisted he keep playing a broken RGIII against Grudens will for many of those losses. 

Hats off to Gruden for telling Mike Brown to go Dalton over Mallet and for telling Dan Snyder Cousins over RGIII. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 12:21 PM)jason Wrote: I would've guessed his record was better than that in DC. All in all, he's seemed to be able to beat bad teams, and struggled with the good ones... Sound familiar? I don't think it'd be a terrible hire. He's just not my first pick. Sadly I'm afraid that he's a better hire than who they end up with.

He went 4-12 in his first season there. Then turned it around with consecutive winning seasons. Now the team has regressed...but is dealing with a ton of injuries to key players.

(12-16-2017, 12:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If it came down to Jay or someone on the current staff, then I would definitely take Jay. However, I'd prefer someone who has never been a part of the organization. 

I'm really hoping they take a long look at coordinators like Reich and Patricia, and perhaps ex head coaches like Shurmur and Haley.

Pretty much my thoughts. Jay is about the only current or former Bengals coach I would be cool with. I could get excited about Jay.

That said...there's probably better candidates. Namely Matt LaFleur (Rams), Matt Nagy (Chiefs), Reich (Eagles), Shurmur (Vikings) and Haley.

There is also just a feeling that we need a completely fresh slate, and I'm not sure Jay provides that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I could see this happening primarily because Mike Brown could go without paying for an OC given Gruden calls his own offensive plays even as HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 01:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He went 4-12 in his first season there. Then turned it around with consecutive winning seasons. Now the team has regressed...but is dealing with a ton of injuries to key players.

Pretty much my thoughts. Jay is about the only current or former Bengals coach I would be cool with. I could get excited about Jay.

That said...there's probably better candidates. Namely Matt LaFleur (Rams), Matt Nagy (Chiefs), Reich (Eagles), Shurmur (Vikings) and Haley.

There is also just a feeling that we need a completely fresh slate, and I'm not sure Jay provides that.

Yeah... I know their O line is tore up, and they are down to Samaje Perine at RB. It's seems letting Jackson go hurt them on offense, and Pryor seems to be a one year wonder for a shit team.

I guess I kinda forgot that RG III was still there when Gruden' arrived.

Pat Shurmur would be interesting. He's done wonders in Minnesota this year (something the Bengals are gonna find out the hard way tomorrow).
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 01:27 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah... I know their O line is tore up, and they are down to Samaje Perine at RB. It's seems letting Jackson go hurt them on offense, and Pryor seems to be a one year wonder for a shit team.

I guess I kinda forgot that RG III was still there when Gruden' arrived.

Pat Shurmur would be interesting. He's done wonders in Minnesota this year (something the Bengals are gonna find out the hard way tomorrow).

Shurmur also had a great run in Philly.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'd take Jay over anybody currently on staff but I, like others, would rather have totally new blood !

I know I'm old school but I never really liked the way Jay didn't wanna run the ball.
Reply/Quote
I doubt he is available but if he is you have to consider it with Him and Andy's relationship.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Him and Andy did not mix
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 12:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If it came down to Jay or someone on the current staff, then I would definitely take Jay. However, I'd prefer someone who has never been a part of the organization. 

Agreed, if it was someone we know versus an open field, I’d take jay. If it was anyone at all, I think there are better candidates. Jay has done good with a difficult organization and not a lot of support. I think he would do fine here. But fine may not be good enough.
Reply/Quote
I would be 100% fine with Jay Gruden as HC of the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 04:23 PM)Passepartout Wrote: Him and Andy did not mix

Really?  Can you go into detail on that.  Seems odd since Gruden was the one who talked Mike Brown into draft Andy instead of a franchise-crippling bust.
Reply/Quote
Hell no.

Gruden proved while here that he's bad at game management, which is something we all bash Marvin for.

I remember one game when we were leading with the ball and the other team had two (I think) timeouts. Instead of running the ball and making them use their timeouts, he throws on first and second down, both incomplete, and then runs on third down, which they load the box, stop it easy, call timeout, force us to punt, and they drive down the field with a timeout to score and win.

Gruden also feels like he loses players' confidence and never has them motivated in the first place, which is something we also bash Marvin for.

No to Gruden. Bring in a winner.
Reply/Quote
Gruden id fine with me but have been a fan since he was QB'ing my Cards way back in the day.

He could play the game well too. Has done wonders with Cousins and has been in a bad situation in Washington.

Am fine with a bigger name as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote