Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bring Jeff Fisher in as DC/Position Coach?
No, because I don't want any possible way for there be a connection for him to become HC down the road.
Reply/Quote
There's only room for one Fisher on this team, and that's Jake!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd rather crap in my pants and ride a bicycle 50 miles on a hot, humid day in August than bring in Fisher..
Ok, maybe not to that exact extent..but close.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 06:35 PM)Beaker Wrote: Every time some other coach with a familiar name gets fired, some yahoo on here thinks we should pick him up.
I hear this Marvin Lewis guy is on the hot seat. Do you think the Bengals should take a chance on him? Ninja

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 06:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: Not sticking up for the guy.....but hasn't Todd Gurley pretty much said the same things about the team?

Coaches are supposed to come out and accept (some) responsibility when there's issue with the overall team. Whether they believe it not is a different story, but you need to keep the image of cohesion going. Think of the few times that Marvin seemed to push blame on the players, we were all pissed about it. If you deflect blame and think you're not the problem, then you're going to lose the locker room.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Yes, because what I was thinking was "I sure wish we had a second Marvin Lewis on this team."

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 09:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I guess it's fair to say that some of you don't remember Fisher as coach of the Titans?  He literally had them on the doorstep of winning the Super Bowl, versus the Rams.  When we were a 5 team division, with the Titans in it, his teams had epic battles with the Bill Cowher Steelers.  Fisher's style goes well with our division.  He has just had a tremendous streak of bad luck with the Rams.  Injuries, injuries, injuries,  And now, a team that thought they were all "Hollywood", and crumbled when they couldn't live up to the hype.  Not his fault.

To a degree, that's on the coach.

If year after year it's "well, these guys got injured..." then you aren't developing players enough. Organizations that have a lot of stability usually get bit by the injury bug less — in my opinion — because the organization knows what it has year in, year out. Even if they aren't necessarily winning big, they still have decent seasons because it didn't hang on one or two players staying healthy. Steelers, Ravens, Bengals (Marvin Lewis era), Pats, GB, etc. 

But I agree, Fisher wasn't that bad. I live in the Titans market. He had some very solid seasons with some decent teams. And he has a lot of football knowledge. My only knock was it didn't seem like he got the best out of everyone at the same time. The Titans would have good stretches where most people were playing solid, and then small stretches where it seemed like no one had a clue what they were doing.
Reply/Quote

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 06:00 PM)Benton Wrote: To a degree, that's on the coach.

If year after year it's "well, these guys got injured..." then you aren't developing players enough. Organizations that have a lot of stability usually get bit by the injury bug less — in my opinion — because the organization knows what it has year in, year out. Even if they aren't necessarily winning big, they still have decent seasons because it didn't hang on one or two players staying healthy. Steelers, Ravens, Bengals (Marvin Lewis era), Pats, GB, etc. 

But I agree, Fisher wasn't that bad. I live in the Titans market. He had some very solid seasons with some decent teams. And he has a lot of football knowledge. My only knock was it didn't seem like he got the best out of everyone at the same time. The Titans would have good stretches where most people were playing solid, and then small stretches where it seemed like no one had a clue what they were doing.

Jeff Fisher hasn't been a good coach. He's been given time and time again to take steps in the right direction, but he never does so. He hasn't had a winning season since 2008. He hasn't won a playoff game since 2003. Fisher only has 2 winning seasons in his last 12 seasons coaching. He was with the Titans from 1997-2010, he made that team in his mold as time went on.

He didn't get a lot out of his players. Because players didn't seem to like to play for him. Only TWO players he drafted has gone to the Pro Bowl. Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn. Only 3 players have gone to the Pro Bowl under him. Donald, Quinn, and Hekker.

Fisher has had every opportunity to build this franchise and succeed. In his second year of coaching, he had four draft picks in the first 2 rounds. His third year coaching? Two first round draft picks. The following year? Two MORE 1st round draft picks. He had every opportunity.

And it's not like he picked bad players coming out of college. Robinson was a highly stouted OT. Janoris Jenkins was a great player in college, and we see how he's doing with New York. Tavon Austin and Alec Ogletree were two good players. Then Todd Gurley.

People can blame Bradford, but he never went for a QB. He chose to build around a team, and the players he picked were still lackluster.

"Oh well they need an offensive line". Fisher drafted 8 offensive lineman his entire time there. Three were in the first 2 rounds. Five were in the first 3 rounds.
"Well what about wide receivers". Fisher drafted 8 wide receivers his entire time there. Four were in the first 3 rounds. Six were in the first 4 rounds.

Fisher is not a good coach. He is outdated and his way of coaching isn't going to work anymore. Although I am not a fan of Guenther, I'd rather keep him here than bring in Fisher.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Jeff Fisher may be the most overrated coach in NFL history.

He's had exactly 6 seasons above .500 in 22 years...

He's won 8 games ONCE in the past 7 seasons. ONCE. He makes Marvin look like a HOF Coach.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 11:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Jeff Fisher may be the most overrated coach in NFL history.

He's had exactly 6 seasons above .500 in 22 years...

He's won 8 games ONCE in the past 7 seasons. ONCE. He makes Marvin look like a HOF Coach.

Eh, I put Lewis and Fisher on about par. Fisher has been terrible for quite some time now, BUT... he did take a team to a SB once before. Marvin still hasn't won a playoff game.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Fisher is the original Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 11:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Eh, I put Lewis and Fisher on about par. Fisher has been terrible for quite some time now, BUT... he did take a team to a SB once before. Marvin still hasn't won a playoff game.

Marvin Lewis is our Jim Mora
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 11:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Eh, I put Lewis and Fisher on about par. Fisher has been terrible for quite some time now, BUT... he did take a team to a SB once before. Marvin still hasn't won a playoff game.

Fwiw, on my coach grading system, Fisher and Marv had almost identical grades for their careers. Fisher had the SB run, while Marv has more recent success. It totally balanced out.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'd bring in Rex Ryan as the DC.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 05:40 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Would you guys consider bringing in Jeff Fisher to be our next DC (if Guenther leaves) or a position coach on the defensive side?

I think the man has some defensive expertise with that Rams defense/d-line.

Nope, but he does have a better playoff record than Marv, in case anyone wanted to know.

Reply/Quote