Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bringing back fans to PBS..........why
would anyone waste all that money to watch a team in complete disarray?

I was a season ticket holder, I lived through some good years with Dalton, Green, Gio and Dunlap.

Then things soured when our FO failed to go all in and try and win it all. They sat on their hands, made bad draft decisions and now we stink.

I know it is early in FA, but when you already hear a great OG gets low balled and then goes to KC, you realize this FO does not either want to win as bad as fans want to win, or they are just morons or a combination of both.

PR is not going to help, lip service is not going to help. I feel bad for Joe Burrow, I really do because it was drafted by the worst family run NFL franchise in history.

So for those loyal fans who toss away cash, I applaud your enthusiasm and optimism. I used to be just like you.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 05:47 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: would anyone waste all that money to watch a team in complete disarray?

I was a season ticket holder, I lived through some good years with Dalton, Green, Gio and Dunlap.

Then things soured when our FO failed to go all in and try and win it all. They sat on their hands, made bad draft decisions and now we stink.

I know it is early in FA, but when you already hear a great OG gets low balled and then goes to KC, you realize this FO does not either want to win as bad as fans want to win, or they are just morons or a combination of both.

PR is not going to help, lip service is not going to help. I feel bad for Joe Burrow, I really do because it was drafted by the worst family run NFL franchise in history.

So for those loyal fans who toss away cash, I applaud your enthusiasm and optimism. I used to be just like you.

The Bengals are in a difficult situation.
They have to overpay for quality outside FAs to come to the team since it's a rebuilding team and not as popular of a city compared to most other NFL cities.
For the Bengals to really get back to their winning ways, they NEED to draft well and develop their talent properly.
If you build it, they will come.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 05:47 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: would anyone waste all that money to watch a team in complete disarray?

Where was it reported Thuney was lowballed? Interested to read this!
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 05:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals are in a difficult situation.
They have to overpay for quality outside FAs to come to the team since it's a rebuilding team and not as popular of a city compared to most other NFL cities.
For the Bengals to really get back to their winning ways, they NEED to draft well and develop their talent properly.

Your right. They will make moves in FA but it will be sensible moves at reasonable dollars (although the absurd contracts for wannabe's last year makes my point sound ridiculous). There are good, solid contributors out there we can use that don't break the bank.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 05:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals are in a difficult situation.

No doubt, but they looking at worst ticket sales (other than 2020) in their history in my opinion. We live in a reward me now world, who has 3 to 5 years to wait to see the team make and win a playoff game, a Super Bowl likely never happens ever.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 05:51 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Where was it reported Thuney was lowballed? Interested to read this!

In another thread (sorry not sure which one), a fan shared a text message he had with Thuney's sister who he knows. His sister said they low balled him.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 05:54 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your right. They will make moves in FA but it will be sensible moves at reasonable dollars (although the absurd contracts for wannabe's last year makes my point sound ridiculous). There are good, solid contributors out there we can use that don't break the bank.

Solid contributors won't get the team where they need to be. It may help them get an extra win or two though.
They have to get the better FAs and/or draft and develop better if they are to get where we want them to be.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 05:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: In another thread (sorry not sure which one), a fan shared a text message he had with Thuney's sister who he knows. His sister said they low balled him.

Lowball is always a subjective term. For example, if it was $13-14 mill a year, is that really a lowball in terms of fair value for a top-tier OG?
Probably not.
But in comparison to what the Chiefs were willing to pay, yes.

I do wonder how often they have discussions of what other teams have offered and whether the team believes the agent is telling the truth or bluffing just to raise the price.

In this case, it could be the Bengals had a limit they weren't willing to exceed and Thuney got offered more.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 05:56 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No doubt, but they looking at worst ticket sales (other than 2020) in their history in my opinion. We live in a reward me now world, who has 3 to 5 years to wait to see the team make and win a playoff game, a Super Bowl likely never happens ever.

But try to put it in their perspective: If they pay a truckload for a good, well-known FA, will they get criticized for overpaying?
If the player doesn't play to that contract cost, will they get criticized for that?
If they don't get the players people know, will the fans criticize them for getting nobodies and/or relying too much on the draft?

Ultimately, the team needs to play well and get wins, and the fans will come back. Bringing in the big names will help drawing fans in September, but if the team ends up being like 4-8 come December, there will still be empty seats the rest of the season regardless.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 06:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Solid contributors won't get the team where they need to be. It may help them get an extra win or two though.
They have to get the better FAs and/or draft and develop better if they are to get where we want them to be.

Again, you're correct. I think I've reasoned with the fact about MB saying "the perfect team was an 8-8 team because it brought fans in the stands but saved money." Said this back on 700WLW probably 20yrs ago. I root for them having a cinderella chance every year, but I know better. Honestly, I just wanna see a Cincinnati SB trophy before I die. I hope I live another 50yrs but even then, that old bastard will probably still outlive me.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 06:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Again, you're correct. I think I've reasoned with the fact about MB saying "the perfect team was an 8-8 team because it brought fans in the stands but saved money." Said this back on 700WLW probably 20yrs ago. I root for them having a cinderella chance every year, but I know better. Honestly, I just wanna see a Cincinnati SB trophy before I die. I hope I live another 50yrs but even then, that old bastard will probably still outlive me.

I wasn't really into football 20 years ago. I was much more into hockey back then. If he really said that back then, that's terrible.
If that's really still the mindset of "jump get to 8-8 because it puts butts in the seats," that's a tough sell for the fans who don't want to settle for that low of a standard.
The goal should be playoffs in 2021 and going deep in the playoffs 2022.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Except no team hits on draft picks at the rate it takes to keep a team competitive.  The roster turns over too fast.  A great draft yields 4 starters.  That doesn't get you where you need to go.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 06:22 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Except no team hits on draft picks at the rate it takes to keep a team competitive.  The roster turns over too fast.  A great draft yields 4 starters.  That doesn't get you where you need to go.

The key is to draft well, develop well, and retain your talent.
So you won't really need to bring in a bunch of outside FAs, but you do use outside FA to fill the couple of spots to go to that next level.
Bengals were close to that back in 2015. They had mostly drafted players and were able to re-sign them. They just never really used outside FA to get those last couple of players to become a true contender.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 06:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wasn't really into football 20 years ago. I was much more into hockey back then. If he really said that back then, that's terrible.
If that's really still the mindset of "jump get to 8-8 because it puts butts in the seats," that's a tough sell for the fans who don't want to settle for that low of a standard.
The goal should be playoffs in 2021 and going deep in the playoffs 2022.

Let me put it this way because I don't want to mislead you or anyone else. I heard that from a friend who's been a fan longer than I have who is a die hard fan. He used to live in Cincinnati and drove a meat truck all day listening to the radio. So, take that for what it's worth but I trust his word as I've never known him to be dishonest about anything.

Although, there's a part of me that thinks he screwed my ex. He said he didn't so I believed him. Wait.... When I was moving out, I found one of his shirts buried in a closet. THAT SON OF A B****!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 06:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Again, you're correct. I think I've reasoned with the fact about MB saying "the perfect team was an 8-8 team because it brought fans in the stands but saved money." 

Teams that play home playoff games makes more money.  

Teams that win championships make TONS more money.

So I seriously doubt Mike Brown ever said anything like this.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 06:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So I seriously doubt Mike Brown ever said anything like this.

Doubt all you want, you're wrong.

I'll see if I can get dig it up, but it's an old, old quote from the 90's.  It's been floating around the Cincinnati airwaves for decades.  He basically bemoans the fact the you get no extra tv revenue from making the postseason, and he brings up hotels and airfare.

It's been referenced so many times (local radio, local tv, around the watercooler, on message boards, etc.) that I've lost count.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 06:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Teams that play home playoff games makes more money.  

Teams that win championships make TONS more money.

So I seriously doubt Mike Brown ever said anything like this.

He sure did Toasty 'ol boy! As a matter of fact, he stated the Bengals actually lost money going deep in the playoffs and to the Superbowl, it was longer than 20 years ago though, closer to 30.
Reply/Quote
Why should I spend money when this damn team won’t. F them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I had season tickets for around 10 years. My father has had season tickets since 1986 and he’ll have them until he dies. I salute his loyalty, and we’ve had conversations about it, but I had to draw the line at lining that family’s pockets at some point. I even tell family don’t buy shit from the bengals and give it to me as a gift.

Bottom line is there are some people who will always support the Bengals because it’s our team and turn a blind eye to where the money is ending up and how those who you’re paying will piss on you and tell you it’s raining.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 9WYUw1.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote