Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broncos need a QB
(03-10-2016, 06:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i cant believe we finally have a backup QB that can step in a win a game    

and people want to get rid of him

There's no legit reason for all this noise cause it just doesn't make any sense at all for the Bengals to trade AJM.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 06:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i cant believe we finally have a backup QB that can step in a win a game    

and people want to get rid of him

Where is your head at, bro.  It's win now time, for the Bengals.  If I were the front office, I'd be on the phone talking about a player for player trade for Emmanuel Sanders. Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Where is your head at, bro.  It's win now time, for the Bengals.  If I were the front office, I'd be on the phone talking about a player for player trade for Emmanuel Sanders. Cool

To win now we need a backup QB, besides Denver isn't offering Sanders or even a 2nd pick or anything else for that matter.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:00 PM)BengalChris Wrote: There's no legit reason for all this noise cause it just doesn't make any sense at all for the Bengals to trade AJM.

I would only be for it if we were offered some crazy amount and with the way teams have been
overpaying for QB's right now, you never know. Could be the difference in us winning a SB or not.

AJM is not winning us a SB from what i saw, he is a pretty good backup and teams might want to
give something nuts for him. Why not entertain the thought?

This is a message board afterall meant for discussion...
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:52 PM)BengalChris Wrote: To win now we need a backup QB, besides Denver isn't offering Sanders or even a 2nd pick or anything else for that matter.

How does a backup QB help us win now? 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 05:40 PM)Benton Wrote: If we had someone else as a backup, I wouldn't have any problem with it. But right now you've got RGIII and Ryan Fitzpatrick as the best FA's available. Both are going to want starting money. After that, I don't know. Weeden and Gradkowski maybe? And they're going to cost well above what AJM is making.

McCarron proved he can manage a game. And for two years, he can do it cheaply in the event of an emergency. I'd rather have that than another question mark.

The steelers have Big Ben and he gets hurt every year.

And the steelers churn through back up qbs.

If the bengals could get the Browns 2nd for mccarron, go for it.

1st -dt
2a-wr
2b- tbd.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:43 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: How does a backup QB help us win now? 

Agreed.

And if folks are concerned about this years free agents, next years is even more interesting.

Whit, zeitler, dre Kirk, gio Bernard, peerman, peko, Eifert (5th year option), Shawn Williams, Rex Burkhead.

Aj hawk,, Marcus hunt, nu gent.

Eventually, the bengals are going to need to start thinking about win now, or at least this fan hopes so.
Reply/Quote

who else will look so leader-like and gutsy holding a clipboard 
Reply/Quote
by having a chance when the starting QB goes out for a few games. I mean there was a point in time when Jordan Palmer was out best option for a few quarters or few games.

you guys seriously want to take tue risk of going back to that?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 10:39 PM)Benton Wrote: by having a chance when the starting QB goes out for a few games. I mean there was a point in time when Jordan Palmer was out best option for a few quarters or few games.

Yep.

Risk, reward.

Dalton hadn't missed a game in over 5 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 10:39 PM)Benton Wrote: by having a chance when the starting QB goes out for a few games. I mean there was a point in time when Jordan Palmer was out best option for a few quarters or few games.

Andy hadn't missed a game before then. 
It was a freak broken thumb. He didn't destroy his shoulder or tear a ligament. 

I'm more confident in Andy going another 5 years without missing a game over a backup QB doing anything special. 

Here's how I look at it, if Dalton is out a significant amount of time I would rather tank the season and get a premium pick to replenish the system. 
The defense alone with any QB is likely to keep us out of the top five probably top 10.

I'd rather have a shot at a top pick than go 7-8 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 11:09 PM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: Yep.

Risk, reward.

Dalton hadn't missed a game in over 5 years.

(03-10-2016, 11:24 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Andy hadn't missed a game before then. 
It was a freak broken thumb. He didn't destroy his shoulder or tear a ligament. 

I'm more confident in Andy going another 5 years without missing a game over a backup QB doing anything special. 

Here's how I look at it, if Dalton is out a significant amount of time I would rather tank the season and get a premium pick to replenish the system. 
The defense alone with any QB is likely to keep us out of the top five probably top 10.

I'd rather have a shot at a top pick than go 7-8 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs. 

And?

If anything, the freak broken thumb should be a reminder of exactly why. Freak stuff happens. I'd rather have a better chance to win a game or two than to have a guy that — if the Marvin era has taught us anything — won't see the field much for a few seasons. At most, we take a WR in the first and out of necessity he shares time with whoever is already on the roster of a vet FA. There's not a center we'd take in the first, we wouldn't start any picks over the line (either of them), or DBs or RBs. And there's a good chance we do that anyway with our current pick.

I don't get playing to tank a season. Look at the Broncos. Manning went out, they had a decent backup and they won a championship. They didn't put in a Jordan Palmer and start playing for a draft pick. This isn't Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would only be for it if we were offered some crazy amount and with the way teams have been
overpaying for QB's right now, you never know. Could be the difference in us winning a SB or not.

AJM is not winning us a SB from what i saw, he is a pretty good backup and teams might want to
give something nuts for him. Why not entertain the thought?

This is a message board afterall meant for discussion...

If Denver were to offer something that would really help the Bengals, then the Bengals would have to take it and I would support that. But I'm more sold on a guy who's at least shown us something than someone taken in desperation to fill a spot.

Just look at Denver last year.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 12:06 AM)Benton Wrote: And?

If anything, the freak broken thumb should be a reminder of exactly why. Freak stuff happens. I'd rather have a better chance to win a game or two than to have a guy that — if the Marvin era has taught us anything — won't see the field much for a few seasons. At most, we take a WR in the first and out of necessity he shares time with whoever is already on the roster of a vet FA. There's not a center we'd take in the first, we wouldn't start any picks over the line (either of them), or DBs or RBs. And there's a good chance we do that anyway with our current pick.

I don't get playing to tank a season. Look at the Broncos. Manning went out, they had a decent backup and they won a championship. They didn't put in a Jordan Palmer and start playing for a draft pick. This isn't Cleveland.

Denver didn't need a QB. They had an all-time defense.
Osweiler was drafted to eventually be their starting QB. He was drafted in the 2nd round. 

It's not playing to tank, it's playing the odds. With a QB at McCarron's level, what are the odds of making the playoffs? Not very good. 
If your options are not making the playoffs but sitting at 8-8 or 5-11 give me 5-11. 
Get Dalton back in a year and have vastly better team now
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 12:13 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Denver didn't need a QB. They had an all-time defense.
Osweiler was drafted to eventually be their starting QB. He was drafted in the 2nd round. 

Well, which is it? They didn't need a QB or they plugged in someone they thought was a starter?

Quote:It's not playing to tank, it's playing the odds. 

Ok. I'll play the odds that include having a better chance to win this year than to win in a couple years. If we keep playing for next year, if we keep hoping a draft pick fixes it, we're Cleveland with better helmets.

Don't be Browns.

Be Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 12:22 AM)Benton Wrote: Well, which is it? They didn't need a QB or they plugged in someone they thought was a starter?

Ok. I'll play the odds that include having a better chance to win this year than to win in a couple years. If we keep playing for next year, if we keep hoping a draft pick fixes it, we're Cleveland with better helmets.

Don't be Browns.

Be Bengals.

They benched Osweiler. For Peyton Manning. Who couldn't throw the ball. The QB of that team was irrelevant to their success is the point. It didn't matter. I was just emphasizing that Osweiler isn't a typical "backup" 

You clearly are missing the point of my post. I'm done arguing it.
Reply/Quote
So....Lets trade a quality backup that came 1:08 away from winning our first playoff game in 1/4 of a century? NUTS. I would rather let the 3 knuckleheads that blew the game go before AJ. We have a very good backup QB for once that is confident and a leader, might want to hang on to that.
Reply/Quote
The guys look to AJ as a leader if Andy goes down again, not just awww hell the season is over. Its the most important position on the field, why load up on other positions 3-4 deep yet leave the team weak at QB. Keep AJ.
Reply/Quote
Putting this much stock in a back up QB is the same mentality that keeps Bengals from getting over the hump.

Teams like Denver roll the dice and guess what ? It pays off some times in Lombardi trophies.

Plus we had a serviceable back up in Ryan Fitzpatrick. Did not help us win anything and McCarron will travel the same path while walking away to try and become a starter with no reimbursement for team.

Bengals made a good draft pick with McCarron and it is time to be rewarded. At time Andy was on fence but not anymore.

The window of opportunity is shrinking quickly and the time to roll dice at a championship is now.

No more drafting players for years down the road or not trading valuable commodities that are not even starters.

There are aging vets that can be brought in to fill that roll until another is drafted.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 02:45 AM)TKUHL Wrote: The guys look to AJ as a leader if Andy goes down again, not just awww hell the season is over. Its the most important position on the field, why load up on other positions 3-4 deep yet leave the team weak at QB. Keep AJ.

We do not need to load up on depth. We need starting WR's now. The defense can use some pieces as well. 

Bengals are not pat like they have been last few years. There are question marks.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote