Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broncos request Interview with Callahan
Well damn. How will we ever fill the hole left by a guy who doesn't call plays for an offense with Joe Burrow, Ja'Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, and Tyler Boyd on it? Ninja

Jokes aside, I wish him luck. Go make that bank.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
If Brian gets a HC job does Bill bolt from Cleveland? Wonder how his contract is structured…

Yes, they’d still have Chubb and one the best OL’s, but that would be a major loss for them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 11:01 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I think they've chased QBs for too long.  They've neglected a lot of the rest of the team as a result of this chase to find their savior at QB.  Elway remains a folk hero here, but I think he's the problem.  He doesn't let players or coaches ever get established.  A few years ago people were still getting excited about the moves.  The air has really been let out of the fan base from what it was when I moved here 6 years ago.  2018 was the only season in the last 7 they've started the same QB the full season.  It's insane.  They've drafted 4 of the 10 QBs in those 7 years.  That's Cleveland Browns level ineptitude.  They got lucky with Peyton or their span of bad seasons would be worse.  

Callahan is really interesting.  I think there's still some debate/confusion on what exactly he controls vs what Zac controls.  I wonder what difference it would make to the Bengals being without him.  But Callahan has family connections, appears to be bright and presents himself well and has history in Denver that would make it interesting.  I'd imagine his family connections have gotten him better relationships in the league, which ZT struggled with being so inexperienced when he came to Cincinnati, so building his coaching team should be less of a struggle.  

The big issue is his timing, since he won't be available until after the SB  Smirk

What have they neglected? The way I see it, they're literally a QB away from being very dangerous. They have 3 solid to very good WRs, a good TE, and a two headed RB monster. They're defense is pretty damn good... Well I guess a QB and a coach away from being very dangerous.

I don't think we'll be losing any coordinators this year. Teams are doing their due diligence, but c'mon.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 11:21 PM)jason Wrote: What have they neglected? The way I see it, they're literally a QB away from being very dangerous. They have 3 solid to very good WRs, a good TE, and a two headed RB monster. They're defense is pretty damn good... Well I guess a QB and a coach away from being very dangerous.

I don't think we'll be losing any coordinators this year. Teams are doing their due diligence, but c'mon.

Agreed. They have a top 5 defense, and some decent weapons. You drop a good QB on that team and they’re an instant contender.

Firing Fangio was really dumb though. He had that defense playing lights out. And he never got a fair shake due to not having a QB.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 11:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Well damn. How will we ever fill the hole left by a guy who doesn't call plays for an offense with Joe Burrow, Ja'Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, and Tyler Boyd on it? Ninja

Jokes aside, I wish him luck. Go make that bank.

The media folks seem to think the replacement is already on the staff in QB coach Dan Pitcher

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 08:58 PM)pally Wrote: per Denver Post beat writer, the Broncos have requested an interview with OC Brian Callahan.  He has a 5 year history with the organization

Only thing I hate about this is that they can now do interviews during the season....or something like that.  I remember hearing a rule changed to allow them to interview while their team was still in it.

As far as if he would leave, I think the Bengals will open the wallet (save the comments, they did it for Gruden and Zimmer when they were here under Marvin) and try to lock in the core group of young coaches.  
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 10:51 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: So, I never thought I'd say this, but it's times like this that I'm grateful our HC is essentially the OC from an offense install and playcalling standpoint.

With Marvin, every time we had a good offensive year and our OC got head coach interviews/ jobs (Gruden and Jackson) the first thing that went through my head was "is this going to ruin the rhythm of our offense and upend our progress?"

But with Taylor, I don't have that question. While I'm sure Callahan contributes to our offensive success, it feels a lot less "offense altering" for him to leave than previous OCs leaving.

I am glad we have an offensive minded head coach. I think defensive minded head coaches are at a huge disadvantage because any time their offense works well, they risk having to start over from scratch with a new coordinator.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Should Brian get this gig in Denver, (good luck to him, glad he's getting the opportunity) I suspect Taylor would just promote Dan Pitcher to OC and the offense would never miss a beat.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 09:08 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I don’t see why they would deny it. If that’s Callahans goal then let him take the leap

I didn't think they could deny the OC or DC, only the position coaches?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 09:02 PM)M.W. Wrote: Wait, I thought Zac called the plays.... In all seriousness , does he not?

we hired Zac from a position even lower than OC and he called no plays either.

I guess its trendy hire at the moment

Best of Luck to him though.... HC in the NFL is a hard job to get.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 09:54 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I didn't think they could deny the OC or DC, only the position coaches?

And then bring Brady in as QB coach?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 08:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Only thing I hate about this is that they can now do interviews during the season....or something like that.  I remember hearing a rule changed to allow them to interview while their team was still in it.

As far as if he would leave, I think the Bengals will open the wallet (save the comments, they did it for Gruden and Zimmer when they were here under Marvin) and try to lock in the core group of young coaches.  

Edit: I'm behind in the thread and see Sled beat me to the Pitcher promotion post.

I'd assume Dan Pitcher, QB coach, is quickly promoted to Offensive Coordinator if Callahan leaves.
Reply/Quote
I think Callahan is still a year away. But this is why the league is moving towards Offensive minded HC's. If we had a defensive minded coach, we'd lose the OC (if we were lucky because that would mean we had a great offense), every 2 years. And that is tough.

EB and such should come first when it comes to hiring an OC who doesn't call plays. I think his move should be to go to a team where he can call plays to give him the "experience". Kinda like LaFleur had to do.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 11:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Agreed. They have a top 5 defense, and some decent weapons. You drop a good QB on that team and they’re an instant contender.

Firing Fangio was really dumb though. He had that defense playing lights out. And he never got a fair shake due to not having a QB.

Was Fangio Elway's hire? Elway handed over the decision making and roster to their GM, Paton. So maybe Paton wants to make his proverbial stamp on the franchise by hiring his coach.
Reply/Quote
If he leaves the Bengals offense is attractive enough to get a solid replacement imo.

Also think if Aaron Rodgers forces the issue in GB and leaves ?

Betting it will be to John Elway's open checkbook in Denver and lo and behold DeVante Adams is a FA as well. Denver could take the escalator to the top quickly if adding these two at once. Not sure if they can find that sort of cap room though.

Think Pittsburgh will end up with Russell Wilson as well because doubt there will be anybody of great interest where the steelers will be drafting and don't see them sitting idle.

Plus everybody can already guess that I would like Jay Gruden as replacement if Callahan leaves, but don't believe that will happen though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 11:21 PM)jason Wrote: What have they neglected? The way I see it, they're literally a QB away from being very dangerous. They have 3 solid to very good WRs, a good TE, and a two headed RB monster. They're defense is pretty damn good... Well I guess a QB and a coach away from being very dangerous.

I believe they're a good OL away.  I don't follow the team closely because I'm not a fan, but I hear the local talk, and I keep hearing how bad the pressure is.  We've had similar issues here, and the QB makes a difference, so does the scheme.  But at the end of the day, no QB is going to succeed if the OL is a mess.  But the constant change at head coach and QB and this team will never get their feet under them.  I've heard Jim Harbaugh is on their list as well.  If he gets that nod, I'm going to go from feeling mostly apathetic about the team to really disliking them. 
Reply/Quote
If Callahan does leave for another opportunity, maybe the Bengals could bring in Joe Brady in his place?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 09:58 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: we hired Zac from a position even lower than OC and he called no plays either.

I guess its trendy hire at the moment

Best of Luck to him though.... HC in the NFL is a hard job to get.

the early seeds of the "ZT TREE"
LOL
Reply/Quote
Wait a minute, I thought these guys were bums? Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 03:08 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I believe they're a good OL away.  I don't follow the team closely because I'm not a fan, but I hear the local talk, and I keep hearing how bad the pressure is.  We've had similar issues here, and the QB makes a difference, so does the scheme.  But at the end of the day, no QB is going to succeed if the OL is a mess.  But the constant change at head coach and QB and this team will never get their feet under them.  I've heard Jim Harbaugh is on their list as well.  If he gets that nod, I'm going to go from feeling mostly apathetic about the team to really disliking them. 

Yeah. I think they can be a contender pretty quickly. We've been pretty explosive the last month or so excluding that game.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 03:29 PM)Wyche Wrote: Wait a minute, I thought these guys were bums? Mellow

The Joe Burrow coaching tree!

Reply/Quote