Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Browns and Ravens games will set tone
The first 2 weeks of the regular season starts off with the Browns and Ravens. We need to win these games to set the tone for the rest of the season. I'd hate to be down 0-2 by week 3. Looking forward to the Bengals and Burrow being tough in these games. Our D will also need to shine. I just hope the OL is ready for the challenge by then. Last year took a few games to get it together, Go Bengals!
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Those two early games will definitely put the Bengals to the test.

Yet feel they will be well prepared and pass these tests.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 07:27 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The first 2 weeks of the regular season starts off with the Browns and Ravens. We need to win these games to set the tone for the rest of the season. I'd hate to be down 0-2 by week 3. Looking forward to the Bengals and Burrow being tough in these games. Our D will also need to shine. I just hope the OL is ready for the challenge by then. Last year took a few games to get it together, Go Bengals!

Oh gawd, here we go again. The first two games do not set the tone any more than they did last year when the team started slow then went on a 10-0 run. There are simply too many variables in a football season for any kind of tone to be set. 
Reply/Quote
The Browns always play us tough. I would be happy for an ugly, close win with no injuries even if it turns out later on that the Browns are terrible this year.

Of course it will be an interesting test of our run stopping abilities on defense, and our improved (again) offensive line's ability to pass protect on offense. It'd be great if we could keep a clean pocket for most of the game while also keep Chubb and Watson from gaining a ton of yards on the ground.

Reply/Quote
It'll be preseason for the starters so realistically you have to think they'll start off slow in September. It's the give / take with Zac's offseason philosophy.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Well, the first two games are clearly important. How much better would it have been to have played the Chiefs last year at Paycor instead of Arrowhead. The Bengals were at Arrowhead because of the early season losses cost them homefield.

The Chiefs under Mahomes and Andy Reid have never had to play a playoff game on the road or play three playoff games to get to the Super Bowl. If the Bengals had homefield advantage throughout last year, they might have avoided some big injuries as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 09:35 AM)Nepa Wrote: Well, the first two games are clearly important. How much better would it have been to have played the Chiefs last year at Paycor instead of Arrowhead.    The Bengals were at Arrowhead  because of the early season losses cost them homefield.

The Chiefs under Mahomes and Andy Reid have never had to play a playoff game on the road or play three playoff games to get to the Super Bowl. If the Bengals had homefield advantage throughout last year, they might have avoided some big injuries as well.

*Burrowhead 
Reply/Quote
The Ravens will be the bottom dwellers now.
Last time they lost a pre-season game, they finished 5-11....
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 09:49 AM)740Bengal Wrote: *Burrowhead 

I know we don't affect things as fans, but this is the shit that needs to stop.

We haven't won anything yet, be humble FFS.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Those 1st matchups are extremely integral to start
The season right. The Browns are vastly improved
With Watson being focused and some real quality
FA additions.
The Ravens have added serious firepower to help
Out Lamar. These are not the same Browns and Ravens
Teams from 2022. If you lose a division game
It's like losing 3 games. Cause you have to factor In
The division record and the tie breakers for playoff seeding.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 10:06 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I know we don't affect things as fans, but this is the shit that needs to stop.

We haven't won anything yet, be humble FFS.

I bet you're fun to be around at parties.

If fans don't affect anything, then why does it matter to you whether they're humble or not? Let people have fun man.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 09:49 AM)740Bengal Wrote: *Burrowhead 

Yeah, I consciously decided not to call Arrowhead as "Burrowhead." If the Bengals would have won, then a case could be made that the Bengals players backed up the bragging. And quite a bit of bragging it was calling the name of an opponents stadium Burrowhead before the big game. 

But then calling the stadium Burrowhead and then losing? That was embarrassing. We should bury that name. I'd have been pretty angry and insulted as a Chiefs fan and player. Which they made clear after the Chiefs players backed up their own anger at being so insulted. And it was a bad look for the franchise to be bragging that we own an opponent's stadium and then losing.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 10:14 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: I bet you're fun to be around at parties.

If fans don't affect anything, then why does it matter to you whether they're humble or not? Let people have fun man.

I don't go to parties: would much rather spend time with my family, out fishing, playing a sport or viewing a sport.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 09:23 AM)jj22 Wrote: It'll be preseason for the starters so realistically you have to think they'll start off slow in September. It's the give / take with Zac's offseason philosophy.

I'm more concerned about Burrow not getting any reps with the offense even in practice again. I think it's a very real possibility we start of 0-2 again this year. 
Reply/Quote
We are like Greg The Hammer Valentine, we don't even get started until the match is half over.
Reply/Quote
Didn’t the bengals start 0-2 last season?

Hey, whatever you wanna tell yourself

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 10:58 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Didn’t the bengals start 0-2 last season?

Hey, whatever you wanna tell yourself

Ok we are like Hulk Hogan. Beat us early and we get mad and become invincible.  I always felt bad for his opponents, I mean if hitting him doesn't work what can they do? They're pro wrestlers, their playbook is pretty limited to hitting people. 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 07:27 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The first 2 weeks of the regular season starts off with the Browns and Ravens. We need to win these games to set the tone for the rest of the season.

Actually, you don't. Last year they started off 0-2 and eventually went on a 10 game win streak. 

It can have repercussions, like last year w/seeding but it doesn't set any kind of tone. It's just one of those wacky sports cliches that people use from time to time.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Tone or not ? I believe the AFCN will be a very interesting story this season. Can/will D. Watson return to 2019 or whatever form? What will K. Pick6ett turn into ? Will L. Jackson be able to run the Ravens into contention ?

The AFCN could be anywhere from a top-notch division to a very mediocre one outside of the Bengals, IMHO. And it's anybody's guess at this point.

I'd say all 3 teams will have D's in the top half of the league but what will they be on O ?

I'm ready to find out
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 10:29 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't go to parties: would much rather spend time with my family, out fishing, playing a sport or viewing a sport.

And making quite likely the best homemade Italian food in all of Canada.  Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote