Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browns game had nothing to do with Chase out
The announcers of the game inferred the Bengals troubles were because Chase was out. Well, Burrow had no time to hit any receiver. Yes, Chase may have opened up the passing game to Higgins or Boyd. But, let's face it the OL played horrible. Burrow also seemed timid in his game and was not passing down field. Personally, Burrow reminded me of Rodgers on Sunday night. Also, the Bengals have got to get the running game going. Mixon seems to struggle to gain yards. I miss Chase and will be glad when he is back. However, we can't pin the Browns game on him.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
No, no no , you got it all wrong..another ABYSMAL prime time performance by a shitty organization that will still never win anything. Oh they may get to the superbowl but will never make any moves to actually win the supebowl. Just like last year, one ***** Defenseive player taking over the game and scaredy joe not even trying to run the ball, nah no QB draws, just the same old screen to joe in on the screen for 0-1 yards a play.
Reply/Quote
The entire game plan was dumb. We went back to trying to run stretch plays again, were telegraphing plays and the slant and screen again disappeared from the playbook. It made it easy for the defense to pin their ears back and go after Burrow who also had a bad game (one of a couple this season). If ever there was a game where they needed to be using slants, screens and the TE in passing this was it - so of course they didn't.

Will there be any consequences of the awful play and scheme? Of course not. Unlike in the real world where performances like that would get people instantly fired all that will happen will be platitudes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 02:33 AM)Joelist Wrote: The entire game plan was dumb. We went back to trying to run stretch plays again, were telegraphing plays and the slant and screen again disappeared from the playbook. It made it easy for the defense to pin their ears back and go after Burrow who also had a bad game (one of a couple this season). If ever there was a game where they needed to be using slants, screens and the TE in passing this was it - so of course they didn't.

Will there be any consequences of the awful play and scheme? Of course not. Unlike in the real world where performances like that would get people instantly fired all that will happen will be platitudes.

I agree the play calling sucked. Not sure who is responsible, but needs to change or go.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Maybe I'm out of touch with the modern NFL but isn't the best way to slow a pass rush to run at it?

Seems like draw plays, runs up the middle with Perine, and screens would have been the correct moves with the way the Browns DL was getting home.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I gave REP POINTS to OP because I was going to post same topic as :

CHASE OUT IS NO EXCUSE

Once again The Browns OUT COACHED and OUT PLAYED the Bengals. This makes the Browns beating the Bengals in 8 of the last 9 games the 2 teams have played. So The Browns have Owned the Bengals for 5 years now.

Last night the ESPN announcers questioned why a Browns Defense that teams have been Running the ball easy on, why did Zac Taylor not run the ball and throw from the start on game to the end of game.

That the Browns OWN the Bengals every year may be a very basic match up problem. Zac Taylor and The Bengals Offense play LA Rams West Coast Offense and sometimes even worse, Zac Taylor uses an Arena League Offense. The Cleveland Browns play Old School SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL. So the Zac Taylor West Coast or Arena League may work against some teams, but it isn't working against The Old School Cleveland Browns SMASH MOUTH.

The Bengals looked WEAK again last night, as they have looked WEAKI against Cleveland for 5 years now. I'll add Joe Burrow has never beat The Browns, and the Browns do not seem too impressed by the Fancy Dan wardrobe Burrow showed up in at Super Bowl and other games. They take it to Burrow and his eyes look like a deer caught in a cars headlights whenever he plays The Browns. So The Fancy Dan Offense and The Fancy Dan quarterback got SMACKED DOWN by OLD SCHOOL again by Cleveland.

It is hard for Me to admit this, because I'm am a Bengals Fan since 1968. They are my Only Team. But Facts are Facts. The Browns OWN The Bengals. The Browns have won 8 of the last 9 games against Bengals. Chase was only out for last nights game. For 5 years the Browns have simply OUT COACHED and OUT PLAYED the Bengals in both THE RUN and THE PASS and THE KICKING GAME and ON DEFENSE.

So, Fans who may be making CHASE EXCUSES this week, that doesn't explain the Browns beating the Bengals 8 of the last 9 games for 5 years, and some of those as last night were real butt whippings laid on Bengals.

In the First Half the ESPN announcers mentioned Zac Taylor had only called 5 running plays. They thought that was very strange considering other teams are running at will against The Browns. The Zac and Burrow Pass Happy Arena League Style has Never beat The Browns and it just looks WEAK against The Browns SMASH MOUTH each and every time the Bengals play The Browns. Oh Yes, the Browns always have more Passing Yards against Bengals, but after the Browns have RAN THE BALL up the Bengals rear ends. OLD SCHOOL CLEVELAND still uses The Run to set up The Pass, they don't Arena League Pass all game as Bengals do, as if playing TOUCH FOOTY BALL.

Mixon is going to waste on Bengals and they might as well trade Mixon for one more Pass Catcher if all the Bengals are going to do is PASS every play. Of course don't expect a long career out of Burrow. In the 1990's Detroit and Atlanta and a few teams tried to PASS all game, and even stopped carrying Tight Ends, always in a 4 or 5 WR set with no RB or TE. The problem was their QBs ended up in the hospital getting clobbered on every play, and why this type Arena League Offense didn't last long in the Harder Hitting NFL.

One thing our Bengals did was correct. If Bengals are not going to beat Cleveland anymore, by all means, take Paul Browns name OFF the stadium, because Paul Brown believed in Winning some of these games against Cleveland. Joe Burrow may want to take off the Fancy Pants Zoot Suits until he actually wins a Browns Game, because The Bengals are Choking on THE HUMBLE PIE that Cleveland keeps shoving down their throats each year.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I was saying in the game day thread. Chase is great, but this team so sloppy. The Browns just one handily with Jacoby Brissett. Add him to the likes of Mitchell Tribisky and Cooper Rush who beat the Bengals and will ride the pine later.

If we aren’t doing a slow toss, it is a pass to someone behind the line of scrimmage.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
We lost the game because the Browns are better in the trenches than we are, on both sides of the ball. They smacked us in the mouth and played more physical than we did. We couldnt stop them even when we knew what was coming. And Jonah sucks. He looked like a first timer out there and it hurt us all game.
Reply/Quote
When you can't block 4 with 5 to 6 and can't run also it starts with the line, I could see some personal changes at rb and wr over break but we might need to change staff with Pollack over break.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 07:41 AM)bengaloo Wrote: We lost the game because the Browns are better in the trenches than we are, on both sides of the ball. They smacked us in the mouth and played more physical than we did. We couldnt stop them even when we knew what was coming. And Jonah sucks. He looked like a first timer out there and it hurt us all game.

The browns match up very well against us. Their oline and dline continue to dominate us. They have a simple game plan and we can’t stop it on defense because we can’t move the ball on offense. The blame goes to Zac for not calling a better game. Need more quick throws and runs out of shotgun. The route combinations need to improve. It’s like we run the same routes no matter who we’re playing. Such a lack of creativity and intelligence in play design. This will prove hard to overcome on talent alone. It has effected us in what should be close games/matchups. We are 0-4 on nationally televised games against good teams. We are 4-0 against weaker matchups. Just not a good team yet.
Reply/Quote
We had a bunch of injuries

Not really much hope here. Last year we stayed relatively clean with injuries. We’re getting a real NFL load of them now and it’s too much. DJ Reader would’ve been important yesterday. Chase would’ve been important yesterday.

Sometimes the injuries are too much

And I’m starting to get really really tired of Zac needing to see something for 6 weeks before he can finally make a gameplan. Dude has no adjustment ability at all. It took us 5 weeks before we realized Tyler Boyd exists. That’s dumbass coaching period.

So with Chase being out i predict he’ll make a good gameplan in about 5 weeks.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
OP is correct, that beatdown had nothing to do with Jamar Chase. If anything, the team should look at Chase's absence as a blessing that exposed all of the underlaying issues with the offense, namely the offensive line.

Team can't even establish any semblance of a rushing attack, team can't pass protect to save their lives (or Burrow's). The biggest disappointment has to be the performance of Left Tackle Jonah Williams, the ONE player that the team was banking on when they did a bold makeover of the offensive line this past offseason. If Williams isn't getting beat physically, he often looks indecisive on weather to protect the edge or block down.

I'd love to give the interior OL some credit, for at least stopping the gushing hole up the middle that we so often saw last year, but they can't seem to generate any consistent push in the running game, that would enable so much pressure to be taken off of the passing game.

Was Jamar Chase missed in last night's game? Absolutely.

Was his absence the reason the offense was putrid? Hell naw.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 08:49 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: OP is correct, that beatdown had nothing to do with Chase Young.  If anything, the team should look at Chase's absence as a blessing that exposed all of the underlaying issues with the offense, namely the offensive line.

Team can't even establish any semblance of a rushing attack, team can't pass protect to save their lives (or Burrow's).  The biggest disappointment has to be the performance of Left Tackle Jonah Williams, the ONE player that the team was banking on when they did a bold makeover of the offensive line this past offseason.  If Williams isn't getting beat physically, he often looks indecisive on weather to protect the edge or block down.

I'd love to give the interior OL some credit, for at least stopping the gushing hole up the middle that we so often saw last year, but they can't seem to generate any consistent push in the running game, that would enable so much pressure to be taken off of the passing game.

Was Chase Young missed in last night's game?  Absolutely.

Was his absence the reason the offense was  putrid?  Hell naw.

Jonah looked bad last night. As to the interior and running we never really tried to run inside - they went back to the dumb stretch run plays. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 09:16 AM)Joelist Wrote: Jonah looked bad last night. As to the interior and running we never really tried to run inside - they went back to the dumb stretch run plays. 

When I speak about the OL issues, I'm meaning more than just last night's game.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 02:25 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The announcers of the game inferred the Bengals troubles were because Chase was out. Well, Burrow had no time to hit any receiver. Yes, Chase may have opened up the passing game to Higgins or Boyd. But, let's face it the OL played horrible. Burrow also seemed timid in his game and was not passing down field. Personally, Burrow reminded me of Rodgers on Sunday night. Also, the Bengals have got to get the running game going. Mixon seems to struggle to gain yards. I miss Chase and will be glad when he is back. However, we can't pin the Browns game on him.

BOTH lines got their asses kicked....FIFY

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
From the Tennessee game (which we did win, to our credit, but mostly because of our defense) to the Super Bowl, to the Steelers game, Cowboys game and now the Browns game, it's clear to me that our offense struggles when the defense has an elite pass rusher. Between the batted balls for interceptions, the constant instantaneous pressure causing chaos to the sped up clock it causes in Burrow to check the ball down, an elite pass rusher just ruins our offensive timing.

The good news is that, even with new talent entering the league every year, very few players ever ascend to a Jeffery Simmons/Aaron Donald/TJ Watt/Micah Parsons/Myles Garrett level player.

But it does not bode well for our success as we enter the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 07:41 AM)bengaloo Wrote: We lost the game because the Browns are better in the trenches than we are, on both sides of the ball. They smacked us in the mouth and played more physical than we did. We couldnt stop them even when we knew what was coming. And Jonah sucks. He looked like a first timer out there and it hurt us all game.

This. Casual fans will bash Joe, bash the coaches, but this right here is why they lost. You cannot win games when you are constantly losing at the point of attack. I don't care who you have under center, in the booth, or on the sidelines. We missed DJ Reader BIG TIME last night, and I was afraid of this team the minute he went down.

As to the oline, they need to get their nuts outta their SO's purses. That was pathetic. 

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 09:32 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: From the Tennessee game (which we did win, to our credit, but mostly because of our defense) to the Super Bowl, to the Steelers game, Cowboys game and now the Browns game, it's clear to me that our offense struggles when the defense has an elite pass rusher. Between the batted balls for interceptions, the constant instantaneous pressure causing chaos to the sped up clock it causes in Burrow to check the ball down, an elite pass rusher just ruins our offensive timing.

The good news is that, even with new talent entering the league every year, very few players ever ascend to a Jeffery Simmons/Aaron Donald/TJ Watt/Micah Parsons/Myles Garrett level player.

But it does not bode well for our success as we enter the playoffs.

Yep, and injuries to the interior of the DL made for easy sledding for the Browns run game. Recipe for disaster. 

Reply/Quote
I don’t understand how Chase being out had nothing to do with the result.

I grant you - they were pathetic. All over the field. But Chase being out was a huge factor.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 07:46 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: When you can't block 4 with 5 to 6 and can't run also it starts with the line, I could see some personal changes at rb and wr over break but we might need to change staff with Pollack over break.

At this point, Pollack has to go.  The team has dumped way too many resources into the OL in terms of draft picks and FA dollars for it to be struggling this much.  The regression of Jonah pretty much seals it for me.  Not to mention he's the run game coordinator.

Simmons should also be canned at this point.  His unit caused a 5 point swing for the Browns in this one.  Huber continues to shank punts, Evans continues to make bad decisions on bringing the ball out, Taylor calls fair catches with nobody within 5 yards of him, pet boys that contribute nothing at their actual position blow contain, etc.  
Reply/Quote