Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Browns to Interview Guenther for HC Position
(01-05-2016, 06:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Probably because they see the fact that in just 11 starts, Roethlisberger set the second highest INT total of his career? The most for him since 2006.

Nobody looks at 21 TD/16 INT in 11 starts despite having Antonio Brown and says... "YES! That's what I want! Please influence the development of a young QB for me!"

I don't think QB production is the only metric in deciding if a coordinator is a good candidate for a HC job. 

It's undeniable that Pitt's offense has been excellent under Haley. 

With that being said, I don't think Haley is the ideal guy to develop a young QB, so I agree with you there. 
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 04:48 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote:  The most important stat in football is points allowed on a defense ,, The Bengals are 2nd and just set a team record.. if anything this Defense is better now than when Zim left.  So we actually progressed not regressed

IMO, Zimmer left the cabinet full and a lot of PG's success could, up to this point be that we've kept the nucleus of the defense in tact.

When the window closes and we can no longer afford everyone, then we'll find out how good he is/was when he has to mold rookies
and others into a cohesive unit.
Reply/Quote
I'm all for seeing Vance Joseph get the call up to be our DC
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 04:27 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Kind of surprised by this.

How come I don't see Todd Haley being looked at??? Dude has been awesome as an OC with the Steelers???

Maybe they remember when Haley went 19-26 as HC of the Chiefs? Or maybe teams aren't as impressed the Steelers offense as the media?

(01-05-2016, 07:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Glad to see Geunther getting some credit.

The same cast of negative fans here who hate every coach we ever had cried about how clueless he was, but we end up #2 in scoring defense.

Name some posters (that aren't obvious trolls) that hate every coach we've ever had. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 04:40 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Im ok... Guenther hasn't really wowed me as a DC. We kind of regressed since Zim was calling the plays.

Are you kidding?  That statement may have been true last year, but this year the Defense is one of the best, in terms of points against.

What the heck sort of criteria are you judging the guy on?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 05:56 PM)Element Wrote: I could be an arena league coach

Yeah, sure you could... Rolleyes

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 08:17 PM)Rattler Wrote: IMO, Zimmer left the cabinet full and a lot of PG's success could, up to this point be that we've kept the nucleus of the defense in tact.

When the window closes and we can no longer afford everyone, then we'll find out how good he is/was when he has to mold rookies

Already have seen his mark on developing players ..  As i said it is one thing to take over for a great coach but to not only continue that success but to add to it is impressive.. Kudos to Guenther and I hope we don't lose him.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 08:17 PM)Rattler Wrote: IMO, Zimmer left the cabinet full and a lot of PG's success could, up to this point be that we've kept the nucleus of the defense in tact.

Let's also not forget that Guenther was in the brain trust that stocked that cabinet.  When Zimmer left, the promotion of Guenther was immediate.  No other considerations were made.  Last year was a transitional year, filled with injuries, I give him a pass on that.  However, this season Guenther has proved that he is a good coach, and a worthy candidate for other teams to consider.

I also agree with some of the other opinions, that 2 years as a coordinator may not be quite enough experience to step into the role of HC of the entire team.  But, when you're the Browns, you try to latch onto any shooting star passing your way..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 10:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's also not forget that Guenther was in the brain trust that stocked that cabinet.  When Zimmer left, the promotion of Guenther was immediate.  No other considerations were made.  Last year was a transitional year, filled with injuries, I give him a pass on that.  However, this season Guenther has proved that he is a good coach, and a worthy candidate for other teams to consider.

I also agree with some of the other opinions, that 2 years as a coordinator may not be quite enough experience to step into the role of HC of the entire team.  But, when you're the Browns, you try to latch onto any shooting star passing your way..

Exactly why our coordinators should steer clear. Let them hire Chip Kelly or some other mad man to continue their demolition of that franchise.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 10:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's also not forget that Guenther was in the brain trust that stocked that cabinet.  When Zimmer left, the promotion of Guenther was immediate.  No other considerations were made.  Last year was a transitional year, filled with injuries, I give him a pass on that.  However, this season Guenther has proved that he is a good coach, and a worthy candidate for other teams to consider.

Yeah it was either a D-coordinator here or in Minni - Zim has done a great job up north, unlike Leslie Frazier.

Like to see Zim again in February  
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 09:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Name some posters (that aren't obvious trolls) that hate every coach we've ever had. 

Well, every coach except Zimmer.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 07:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Glad to see Geunther getting some credit.

The same cast of negative fans here who hate every coach we ever had cried about how clueless he was, but we end up #2 in scoring defense.

Agreed. I was mocked for mentioning him as someone who teams were interested in interviewing. He is a good coach and the players love him.
Reply/Quote
Kudos to PaulieG. Never understood the bashing he took by some fans last year. I gave him the benefit of doubt considering not having Burfict, MJ, and most importantly a healthy Geno. But I dont think he is ready for a head coaching gig after a couple of years as dc. Then again a lot of coaches just got canned so who knows.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 04:41 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Any Bengals coach moving up to a Head Coach position would be a good thing....for them. But to move to an AFCN rival won't be looked upon kindly by Bengals fans I suspect. Just another reason to kick their ass as far as I'm concerned.

I don't believe anyone going to The Browns is making a good career move.
I submit exhibit A - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b6qrW1mdRmQ 
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 11:58 PM)West Union KennyG Wrote: I don't believe anyone going to The Browns is making a good career move.
I submit exhibit A - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b6qrW1mdRmQ 

Haha watched it all and I forgot some of the stuff that's happened to the factory of sadness .
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 07:36 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Only a fool would take a head coaching job in Cleveland it's a dumpster fire.

A dumpster fire that pays well.......
Whomever gets selected probably gets a pass because " nobody succeeds in Cleveland ", meaning they can still get other NFL jobs
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2016, 10:29 PM)Rattler Wrote: Yeah it was either a D-coordinator here or in Minni - Zim has done a great job up north, unlike Leslie Frazier.

Like to see Zim again in February  

Zim is the last person I'd want to see in the Super Bowl.  He knows our defense inside and out.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 04:15 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Zim is the last person I'd want to see in the Super Bowl.  He knows our defense inside and out.

And we know his :)
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Vance Joseph's contract is up. He will be a DC next year - anywhere that Hue goes, if Guenther goes, or any other candidates (he's got ties all over the league). People wonder if the Bengals burned any bridges by denying him interviews a year ago ... sure he was ticked, but should Guenther get hired and Marvin goes to Vance and asks if he'd be the DC -- he'd for sure consider it. If he didn't take it, it wouldn't be because he hates the Bengals.

As for head coaching jobs, the league is trending toward younger coordinators with no head coaching experience. The Browns should absolutely interview Guenther and he should absolutely agree to be interviewed. You need that experience as well -- it's not like a regular job interview, that's for sure. Just look at Adam Gase in Chicago. What makes him better now than a year ago? A year of Jay Cutler? Kind of. But he hasn't changed as a coordinator. Also, previous success and connections help. Zimmer is winning. Guenther was his guy. Bengals keep winning, defense plays well. Makes sense. That said, I'd say he's a long shot.

And the Browns will have a line out the door of former head coaches and wannabe head coaches. There are only 32 in the world. And each one of those guys believe they are The Man to turn it around.

Todd Haley had a look. It didn't work. His personality is ... interesting. He may yet get another opportunity but you can't objectively look at the Steelers offensive construct and say wow, that's amazing. Some guys might just be better coordinators (see Turner, Norv; Capers, Dom; Phillips, Wade). Also, there are skeptics about the vertically oriented passing game. It works when the QB is great. He's had two Hall of Famers run his most successful units (Warner, Roethlisberger). With so
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 12:53 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Vance Joseph's contract is up. He will be a DC next year - anywhere that Hue goes, if Guenther goes, or any other candidates (he's got ties all over the league). People wonder if the Bengals burned any bridges by denying him interviews a year ago ... sure he was ticked, but should Guenther get hired and Marvin goes to Vance and asks if he'd be the DC -- he'd for sure consider it. If he didn't take it, it wouldn't be because he hates the Bengals.

As for head coaching jobs, the league is trending toward younger coordinators with no head coaching experience. The Browns should absolutely interview Guenther and he should absolutely agree to be interviewed. You need that experience as well -- it's not like a regular job interview, that's for sure. Just look at Adam Gase in Chicago. What makes him better now than a year ago? A year of Jay Cutler? Kind of. But he hasn't changed as a coordinator. Also, previous success and connections help. Zimmer is winning. Guenther was his guy. Bengals keep winning, defense plays well. Makes sense. That said, I'd say he's a long shot.

And the Browns will have a line out the door of former head coaches and wannabe head coaches. There are only 32 in the world. And each one of those guys believe they are The Man to turn it around.

Todd Haley had a look. It didn't work. His personality is ... interesting. He may yet get another opportunity but you can't objectively look at the Steelers offensive construct and say wow, that's amazing. Some guys might just be better coordinators (see Turner, Norv; Capers, Dom; Phillips, Wade). Also, there are skeptics about the vertically oriented passing game. It works when the QB is great. He's had two Hall of Famers run his most successful units (Warner, Roethlisberger). With so

I completely, 110%, agree.  In order to be and NFL Head Coach you must have a fairly large ego.  You must have supreme confidence in yourself and your abilities.  These are not the type of guys who shy away from a challenge... if anything, they embrace it.
Reply/Quote