Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Brandon Thompson
Rather we draft a bona fide DE than a DT this year. And glad to have Brandon Thompson back. I think his best years are ahead of him.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Still need to draft a DT. Peko wont be around much longer.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2016, 01:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hey i am wanting a DT Draft pick more than anyone but just quit it with this speech.

Williams shown a lot in Preseason last year as did Hardison. Just because Williams was passed on doesn't make him a bad player.

Just like if he was picked up by another team doesn't make him a great one.

Hit and misses happen all the time in this league.

BTW, what hype? Hobspin hype? I haven't seen many on here pimpin Deshawn. But he did have some sacks last Preseason.

Devil's Advocate here....

Margus Hunt Preseason (10 games): 26 tackles, 6.0 sacks, 1 Pdef, 1 FF
Margus Hunt Season (29 games): 12 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 Pdef

Dontay Moch Preseason (11 games): 21 tackles, 6.5 sacks, 1 Pdef, 2 FF
Dontay Moch Season (8 games): 7 tackles, 1.0 sacks, 1 Pdef

Ryan Whalen Preseason (15 games): 24 catches, 251 yards (10.46 avg)
Ryan Whalen Season (17 games): 11 catches, 80 yards (7.27 avg)

So on, so forth. The Bengals really need to get over this quantity over quality approach they've taken at DT the last couple years and just fix it. No reason to put a bunch of scrubs next to Geno when you could put a good guy next to him and wreck every QB's day for the next 4 years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Interested to see what Fairley signed with the Saints for. Would have sacrificed Simms and Thompson for Fairley.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 12:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: Interested to see what Fairley signed with the Saints for. Would have sacrificed Simms and Thompson for Fairley.

Agreed on Thompson, but not on Pat.  That dude has a tremendous impact on the run defense.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 12:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: Interested to see what Fairley signed with the Saints for. Would have sacrificed Simms and Thompson for Fairley.

Fairley is just a name.  He did nothing for the Rams last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 03:43 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Rather we draft a bona fide DE than a DT this year. And glad to have Brandon Thompson back. I think his best years are ahead of him.

This.  And not a Hunt, Clarke, MJ clone that "can stuff the run and play all three downs", but a true rush end from the right side that could create some real problems for opposing QBs with teams focused on Dunlap and Geno.

I'm not sure they will pull the trigger at #24 or if they would be satisfied with his interviews but Noah Spence would fit very nicely.  Trade back, grab him and get an additional 3rd rounder?
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Fairley is just a name.  He did nothing for the Rams last year.

He had more "interest" then either Sims or Thompson.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 12:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Devil's Advocate here....

Margus Hunt Preseason (10 games): 26 tackles, 6.0 sacks, 1 Pdef, 1 FF
Margus Hunt Season (29 games): 12 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 Pdef

Dontay Moch Preseason (11 games): 21 tackles, 6.5 sacks, 1 Pdef, 2 FF
Dontay Moch Season (8 games): 7 tackles, 1.0 sacks, 1 Pdef

Ryan Whalen Preseason (15 games): 24 catches, 251 yards (10.46 avg)
Ryan Whalen Season (17 games): 11 catches, 80 yards (7.27 avg)

So on, so forth. The Bengals really need to get over this quantity over quality approach they've taken at DT the last couple years and just fix it. No reason to put a bunch of scrubs next to Geno when you could put a good guy next to him and wreck every QB's day for the next 4 years.

True, sometimes you cannot judge a player in Preseason. Sometimes you can have an inkling though.

I definately want a DT in this Draft. There are so many of them that could put this Defense over the top.

Geno with a decent DT would help this team immensely, almost as much as a good Center would.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 01:04 PM)jj22 Wrote: He had more "interest" then either Sims or Thompson.

We had interest in him last offseason and instead went with Sims.

They were both available again this offseason, and we didn't even show interest in Fairley, but re-signed Sims.

That tells me something.
Reply/Quote

Former Rams defensive tackle Nick Fairley has signed a one-year contract with the New Orleans Saints.  The deal is for $3 million and includes incentives that could raise its value to $5 million, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15082451/new-orleans-saints-sign-defensive-tackle-nick-fairley-1-year-deal
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 03:03 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: Former Rams defensive tackle Nick Fairley has signed a one-year contract with the New Orleans Saints.  The deal is for $3 million and includes incentives that could raise its value to $5 million, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15082451/new-orleans-saints-sign-defensive-tackle-nick-fairley-1-year-deal

thompson and sims together is less than 2 mil
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 06:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: thompson and sims together is less than 2 mil

Nick Fairley surpassed their combined production last year and fell just 2 games shy of Thompson and Sim's combined games played in/healthy for.

Thompson: 9 games, 8 tackles (4 solo), 0.5 sacks
Sims: 8 games, 16 tackles (4 solo)
Fairley: 15 games, 29 tackles (18 solo), 0.5 sacks, 1 Pdef

A rotation only works if the players in the rotation are worth putting on the field. Not saying Fairley is the answer, but stacking up a ton of Thompson, Sims, Hunt, Clarke types sure isn't the answer either.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 06:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nick Fairley surpassed their combined production last year and fell just 2 games shy of Thompson and Sim's combined games played in/healthy for.

A rotation only works if the players in the rotation are worth putting on the field. Not saying Fairley is the answer, but stacking up a ton of Thompson, Sims, Hunt, Clarke types sure isn't the answer either.

Fairley played a lot more snaps (421) than Sims and Thompson combined (362).
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 08:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Fairley played a lot more snaps (421) than Sims and Thompson combined (362).

Which goes back to the fact that Sims and Thompson are always hurt, and that Fairley playing more snaps is a positive, not a negative.

Why use two roster spots to still fail to produce the same as another team's one roster spot?

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 06:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nick Fairley surpassed their combined production last year and fell just 2 games shy of Thompson and Sim's combined games played in/healthy for.

Can we just cut Hunt this year?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 08:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Why use two roster spots to still fail to produce the same as another team's one roster spot?

Brilliant plan.  Lets just roll with only 3 DTs on the roster.

I mean Fairley has NEVER in his entire career played 16 games in a season, but I am sure that he can fill the role of two players. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 11:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Brilliant plan.  Lets just roll with only 3 DTs on the roster.

I mean Fairley has NEVER in his entire career played 16 games in a season, but I am sure that he can fill the role of two players. Rolleyes

Hah, shame on me for having actually expected Fred to not just make some ridiculous statement from jumping to false conclusions rather than actually trying to use any sort of logic... or even simple freaking math for that matter.

Who said rolls with only 3 DTs? You take away Gilberry from FA (he was a DT for pass rushing), and you take away Sims/Thompson and replace them with Fairley, and you're at 4 DTs, not 3. Atkins, Fairley, Peko, Hardison. You didn't even need to take off your shoes and socks to manage that counting, Fred, but apparently I was still expecting too much from you.

Then you draft a guy and have Peko, Hardison, and the Rookie fight for the roster spot.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 03:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hah, shame on me for having actually expected Fred to not just make some ridiculous statement from jumping to false conclusions rather than actually trying to use any sort of logic... or even simple freaking math for that matter.

Who said rolls with only 3 DTs? You take away Gilberry from FA (he was a DT for pass rushing), and you take away Sims/Thompson and replace them with Fairley, and you're at 4 DTs, not 3. Atkins, Fairley, Peko, Hardison. You didn't even need to take off your shoes and socks to manage that counting, Fred, but apparently I was still expecting too much from you.

Then you draft a guy and have Peko, Hardison, and the Rookie fight for the roster spot.

Shame on you bro, shame on you.
Reply/Quote