Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucky Brooks: Bengals could be competitive quicker than many anticipate
A good read from Bucky Brooks: https://www.nfl.com/news/joe-burrow-s-year-1-impact-isaiah-simmons-role-and-much-more

It's quite difficult for a rookie quarterback to immediately engineer a dramatic turnaround, but Joe Burrow could help the Cincinnati Bengals re-emerge as a competitive team in the AFC quicker than many anticipate. I'm not proclaiming the reigning Heisman Trophy winner is an overnight savior, but he's stepping into a program that is undergoing a cultural change while retaining enough weapons to significantly smooth a rookie quarterback's transition to the NFL.

I know, I know: The Bengals just went 2-14, which is why they were in position to draft Burrow at No. 1 overall in the first place. It's difficult to envision such a franchise being a group on the rise. But trust me: This isn't your typical top-pick-holding team.

It's uncommon for a two-win organization to have a blue-chip running back (Joe Mixon) and a pair of top-tier pass catchers (A.J. Green and Tyler Boyd) already in the fold. Not to mention, Cincy spent the first pick of the second round on Clemson WR Tee Higgins, a big-bodied vertical playmaker who's excellent on 50-50 balls. That's plenty of firepower at the skill positions. On the line, the Bengals essentially add another first-round pick in Jonah Williams, the 11th overall pick from the 2019 NFL Draft who missed all of last season after injuring his shoulder during team activities in June. Williams, who was the first offensive lineman selected in last year's draft, slots in at left tackle. Although questions persist about the Alabama product's ability to emerge as a five-star blind-side protector, given his less-than-ideal physical tools, the Bengals are betting on Williams' polished technique and competitiveness to enable him to hold his own against superior athletes on the edge.

If Williams develops into a blue-chip bookend, the Bengals can check off two of the boxes on the "3 Ps" formula (play caller, playmakers and protection) that enables young quarterbacks to enjoy early success in the league. This leaves second-year head coach Zac Taylor as the critical factor to Burrow's success.

Taylor's still acclimating to calling plays in the NFL while overseeing the entire operation, but when I spoke to him at both the Senior Bowl and the NFL Scouting Combine, he told me that he was getting more comfortable in his role and felt better prepared to handle all of the responsibilities on his plate. I believe we will see a more confident and composed play caller in 2020.

With a year under his belt, Taylor will be able to build better game plans for his quarterback. And I loved what I heard from Burrow on a recent RapSheet + Friends podcast, where the rookie signal-caller talked about how Taylor is fully soliciting his input on the playbook.

"I think the direction that they're heading is going to fit me even more. They're going to do things that I'm comfortable with, and that's a great sign," Burrow said to my colleague Ian Rapoport. "They had me put down my top 10 plays that I had and send it to them, so they can study them and see if they [can] have them in the offense, if they don't [already] have them in the offense."

The collaboration between Taylor and Burrow is essential to building a championship-caliber offense. Moreover, the trust developed between the head coach and his new franchise face is part of creating a culture that fosters a turnaround.

Urban Meyer joined the "Move The Sticks" podcast earlier this week and discussed Burrow, who spent his first three years of college with the coach at Ohio State before transferring to LSU.

"He's at the Cincinnati Bengals now and they were 2-14 last year," Meyer said. "Do you want to help Joe become great? Surround him with a great culture with great leadership and some great players. If you do that, he'll be great. If not, he won't."

Meyer's points regarding culture shouldn't be ignored. Young players need to be nurtured in the right environment to maximize individual and collective potential. Taylor is attempting to transform the Bengals' culture by bringing in players who understand and embrace a championship standard.

"We're not just trying to win games -- we're trying to win championships," Taylor told reporters shortly after the draft. "Ultimately, you have to think long term with that championship mindset. People that are willing to work harder than any team in the league. We feel like we've added the right people. Not for one second did we compromise talent with the guys we added.

"Sometimes you can say someone is a high-character guy, but you maybe have to research to find out if the talent is good enough. Our staff did an excellent job of finding the right guys with combinations of both things -- character and talent. That's going to make us a better team."

Many coaches believe in taking players from winning programs, particularly championship programs, because that signals that they're willing to do the little things required to win at a high level. From their work ethic and discipline to their competitive spirit, the best players on championship teams are also the hardest workers.

That's why the Bengals signed six defensive free agents that were on playoff teams and drafted six players who were team captains. The addition of the captains, in particular, is important due to their proven leadership skills. Captains understand how to carry out the head coach's message and hold their teammates accountable.

"When you say a guy with an edge, that's a guy who's not afraid to hold his teammates to a higher standard," Taylor told reporters. "They have a killer instinct on the field playing against an opponent, but at the same time, that's not where most of your time is spent. Most of your time is spent in meeting rooms, on practice fields or doing individual stuff. We're going to get to where we want to go if not just the coaches hold the players to a high standard, but the players hold themselves to that standard."

The Bengals aren't likely to make a worst-to-first turnaround in this AFC North with a rookie quarterback at the helm, but Burrow's arrival coincides with a culture change that could result in the team forging a quicker-than-expected climb up the charts.
Reply/Quote
Exactly why I think this team at worst is a 7-9 squad with an outside chance at the WC
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
This roster is a lot better than most people think. My only real concern is the coaching staff. ZT needs to prove himself soon
Reply/Quote
Very interesting reading. Invigorating, informative, as well as enlightening. For sure, a lot of things have to fall into place, developments have to happen, and unity withing the organization must be achieved; However, what we witness this season could very well be the next dominate QB/HC combo to emerge from the Bengals since Sam and Boomer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This is why I like NFL.com. Some of these guys have brains unlike ESPN. Always thought Bucky made great points and has no
bias, same with Burleson and man that one chick is a babe. The points made are all well thought out and are not based off of
other people's opinions, they are based off of watching Joe Burrow play.

I started hearing Burrow's name about mid way last season and had no idea who this guy was that was all of a sudden starting
to get Heisman talk. Then I watched him play Bama, thought LSU would be the little brother once again getting beat on by the
big bro but this guy went in there and just outplayed that Bama team that is always the big brother under Saban besides those
Clemson Tigers that Joe went on to later dismantle.

After the Bama game I really started paying attention and I think Zac and company did the same. Then the guy just got better
and better and beat 7 of the 10 top teams in CFB and he did this in the SEC and went on to win it all.

Burrow is the most special QB I have ever seen coming out of college and these guys are right that with these weapons, AJ
Green, Joe Mixon, Tyler Boyd, Tee Higgins, John Ross etc and the coach doing all the right things to make him comfortable is a
recipe for success right off the bat.
Reply/Quote
You know Andy Dalton took the Bengals to the playoffs his rookie year. He had less talent around him
Joe Burrow has an abundence of talent around him.
Not just good talent. But elite talent.
This team could sneak up on teams this year.
But the offense has to put up 24 a game or more
To make it happen
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 09:28 PM)impactplaya Wrote: You know Andy Dalton took the Bengals to the playoffs his rookie year. He had less talent around him
Joe Burrow has an abundence of talent around him.
Not just good talent. But elite talent.
This team could sneak up on teams this year.
But the offense has to put up 24 a game or more
To make it happen

I know we aren't going to even touch what LSU put up last year but sure would be great to put up at least 27 or more.

Think we would win a lot of games if we did this with Burrow and company.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals aren't likely to make a worst-to-first turnaround in this AFC North with a rookie quarterback at the helm, but Burrow's arrival coincides with a culture change that could result in the team forging a quicker-than-expected climb up the charts.

Culture change

It's the thing that needs to happen the most ! Let's hope Burrow and Taylor can finally turn that corner.
Reply/Quote
I just want the season to start. Going to be a long wait and this covid 19 bullshit won't help.

My biggest fear is they will start the season without fans and the second one player gets covid 19 they will shut everything down
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 10:18 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: I just want the season to start.  Going to be a long wait and this covid 19 bullshit won't help.  

My biggest fear is they will start the season without fans and the second one player gets covid 19 they will shut everything down

I agree on the biggest fear man. Not getting political either I just don't understand the fear with the mortality rate.

These guys are the most fit young men in the world. Just keep them away from the old or people with issues that pertain.

Immunity will happen I am sure of it.

Also just heard a 108 year old dude just beat it, think these NFL players can....
Reply/Quote
So much better to read what Bucky has to say than to try and listen to that raspy voice.

I didn’t see a mention of the fact he is an old rookie too. I think that is an important part in turning this around quickly. Coaches son who was a backup for years and probably did a whole lot of studying the game of football all that time on the bench. Stuff that would probably surprise a young QB he has been aware of for some time now. He had an insane progression as a starter from year one to year two in the NFL developmental league known as the SEC.

When it comes to worrying about the mental aspect and the speed of the game... A seasoned coaches son who played in the Big 10 and the SEC kind of seems like an unfair advantage for a rookie
Reply/Quote
If Burrow gets a playoff win his rookie season he'll go down as the greatest quarterback ever... at least in Cincy... in the last 30 years :|

I would have to buy a jersey... and not wait for it to go on clearance for $5 at Marshalls (best buy ever and instant Rudy Johnson fan by default).
Reply/Quote
Good read Holic. This team has so much potential. The culture change is something many of us have wanted for quite sometime. With the addition of players this fa and draft and cutting dead weight, it already feels good going into the season. We got great things happening in this organization.

Reply/Quote
Thanks for sharing, Holic. Nice to see something other than the old parroting of things that haven't been accurate for over a decade.

My biggest concerns this season:

LB corps gets up to speed quickly enough with limited practice schedule
The coaching staff has the right plan
Will there be enough pass rush

My biggest reasons for optimism:

The offense is loaded. We have rarely seen AJ and Ross on the field together. Sprinkle in Mixon, a better offensive line, and Joe Burrow and it could be special. We have not had a mobile QB in a long time. It is a huge difference maker.

The offensive line has no massive holes where they are throwing in bodies at the last second. Quality depth will provide competition at essentially every position. Think about last year that losing Jonah and Cordy before week 1...The backups were John Jerry, Andre Smith, and Michael Jordan. Although he struggled early and got baptism by fire, Jordan looks like he might have been a really solid rd 4 selection and could prove to be a quality starter judging by where he left off last year.

The massive DJ Reader in the middle immediately helps the run defense, both by his presence as a potential tackler and by occupying blockers to free up the LB corps, which is much faster sideline to sideline now.

Winners. Almost every FA. Almost every draft pick. Winners. Captains. The article touches on the culture aspect. Oh, and Joe Burrow: "I'm all about ball". When your QB is going to be the hardest working guy and has an unbelievable football IQ, there will be dedicated, proven winners all over the field in stripes.
Reply/Quote
9 win minimum this year....
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 10:18 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: I just want the season to start.  Going to be a long wait and this covid 19 bullshit won't help.  

Do we shut down the NFL or nay sport when a team has a case of the flu hit them? Sickness is a part of life, recovery is the real story. How many recover? If recovery is 98.5% or higher we have been duped by fear and not facts.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 09:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Thanks for sharing, Holic.  Nice to see something other than the old parroting of things that haven't been accurate for over a decade.

My biggest concerns this season:

LB corps gets up to speed quickly enough with limited practice schedule
The coaching staff has the right plan
Will there be enough pass rush

My biggest reasons for optimism:

The offense is loaded.  We have rarely seen AJ and Ross on the field together.  Sprinkle in Mixon, a better offensive line, and Joe Burrow and it could be special.  We have not had a mobile QB in a long time.  It is a huge difference maker.

The offensive line has no massive holes where they are throwing in bodies at the last second.  Quality depth will provide competition at essentially every position.  Think about last year that losing Jonah and Cordy before week 1...The backups were John Jerry, Andre Smith, and Michael Jordan.  Although he struggled early and got baptism by fire, Jordan looks like he might have been a really solid rd 4 selection and could prove to be a quality starter judging by where he left off last year.  

The massive DJ Reader in the middle immediately helps the run defense, both by his presence as a potential tackler and by occupying blockers to free up the LB corps, which is much faster sideline to sideline now.  

Winners.  Almost every FA.  Almost every draft pick.  Winners.  Captains.  The article touches on the culture aspect.  Oh, and Joe Burrow:  "I'm all about ball".  When your QB is going to be the hardest working guy and has an unbelievable football IQ, there will be dedicated, proven winners all over the field in stripes.

I would add because of all of weapons and tyoe of weapons we will be a much harder team to defend. A healthy AJ who missed all of 2019 begins a DC nightmare. Add in the rest of the receivers who can all get open quickly or go deep or mid range helps the Ol. If you blitz Joe, you have receivers who can get open quickly. If you rush with 4, then more time for a talented WR group with deep ability and a QB who can deliver deep accurate passes.

The offense can be scary good when John Ross maybe your 4th best WR in a 4 WR set.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 08:00 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: This roster is a lot better than most people think.  My only real concern is the coaching staff.  ZT needs to prove himself soon

I have hope but also a concern is our QB.. Nfl history is littered with busts at QB level.. I feel confident on Burrow but it won;t take long to see if he is a Franchise QB or Not...
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 09:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I know we aren't going to even touch what LSU put up last year but sure would be great to put up at least 27 or more.

Think we would win a lot of games if we did this with Burrow and company.

That'd probably be a big improvement considering they only scored 28 TDs as a team last year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 12:02 PM)jason Wrote: That'd probably be a big improvement considering they only scored 28 TDs as a team last year.

The team added better competitors on defense, as well as better talent. 4th quarter is were the Bengals lost a lot of games last year.

If the NFL can quickly get back to pre Wuhan virus team practices, that benefits all these many new Bengals. If the Wuhan hangover truncates team activists, this season will be tough for Joe as the veteran teams will have the advantage.
Reply/Quote