Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucs fired their DC - why is Austin still employed?
That all out blitz at the end was as dumb as it gets. Austin has to go, and Marvin should be right behind him.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 08:24 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Not much a new DC can do at this point. I think it is too early to fire Austin, just see how the season plays out. But if not much improvement is seen by end of season, I don't see how they can keep him beyond.

Exactly.  The Bengals had a need that they failed to properly address in the offseason.  They went all in on Billings and Glassgow being able to handle the middle, and that plan has blown up in their faces.  Glassgow is gone for the year, Billings isn't up for the challenge.  Tupau?  Evidently he's not ready yet.  And Washington?  I liked him in college, but what has he ever done to turn any heads in the NFL?  

The Bengals have a serious problem right now.  They have an offense that is damn good, and a defense that is a key position short of being a good playing hand.  Rather than talk of "Fire the DC", the talk should be about "Who we gonna trade for to play NT?".
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Even Mike Smith? This is just ridiculous. 

Would Mike smith really be that much worse? 
Reply/Quote
The problems with this "defense" run FAR deeper than NT. The whole scheme is wrong and does not fit the players at all. Add in that they play out there like they have never played football before a lot of the time and here we are.
Reply/Quote
It's really tough to declare a scheme as "not right", when there isn't adequate personnel to run any basic defense effectively. A suitable NT is vital to ANY defensive scheme. When you look at the Bengals, they are rich in pass rushers. If you don't have at least one man that commands two blockers to contain him, it's like giving the OL an extra blocker, every play.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 08:00 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We fired our OC after 2 games last season. Don't try to act like this front office doesn't take action.

You need to relax and come back to the messageboard in a week lol, the Bengals shouldn't get anyone that isn't directly involved this fumed.

False regarding the firing of Zampese. He was the OC for all of 2016 and then fired early 2017 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 09:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: False regarding the firing of Zampese. He was the OC for all of 2016 and then fired early 2017 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah i was just referring to the season, not his career as OC.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good for Tampa Bay!  I sure as hell hope they have a positional coach that they feel is up for the job. (kind of like us with Lazor, last year)  But, as far as the Bengals go, who you going to put into that interim role?  I mean it is mid-season, after all...  Unless we promote Lazor to HC, and demote Marvin to DC, I can't think of any good options.  All of our decent defensive coaches have moved on.

I'm not saying we should, but why couldn't Marvin call the defense while being head coach? I wonder if he's to far removed from those days?
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
It's deeper than scheme and coaching. This team has always been kinda week at tackling/covering the TE/RB and slot receiver over the middle. Im sure coaching has it's fair share but it's the rules. I know I know other teams are tackling just fine, well no not really. It's almost as if we need a new breed of defensive players for today's NFL. Guys are worried about defenseless receiver penalties, personal fouls etc when a receiver crosses the middle. Our guys are trying to adapt to going low, wrapping up a player and we are missing.

It's frustrating seeing the defense struggle so bad with just the basics. Of course blown coverage seeing AB or McCaffrey walk in with nobody near for the win sucks and its no surprise fans are calling for Austin head. But if this team comes out this next game with no improvement in tackling, then some serious changes need to be made. Both coaching and personnel.
Reply/Quote
While the defense has performed below average and is quite possibly the worst showing since Guenther's 1st year; you can't fire him after 6 weeks.
If they were absolutely dreadful, then yeah. And there have been some really bad schemes that Austin has done But I would ride this out for the year. Unless there's a clear debacle
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 09:57 PM)Mer Wrote: I'm not saying we should, but why couldn't Marvin call the defense while being head coach? I wonder if he's to far removed from those days?

I mean, I guess he COULD call the defenses in game.  And, have daily control over the entire defense at practice, assigning everything for the defensive position coaches to work on, in addition to keeping track of the team as a whole.  Heck, it might even keep him out of Lazor's hair during the games..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 09:57 PM)Mer Wrote: I'm not saying we should, but why couldn't Marvin call the defense while being head coach? I wonder if he's to far removed from those days?

Who's gonna do the clapping then? Marvin wont have time... see didn't think that one through did ya.
Reply/Quote
Fire him already!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:39 PM)Beaker Wrote: Have you seen teams improve in a season? 6 games is a little early to pull the trigger on a new system.

I've seen it happen before. Normally I'd say ride it out, but our window isn't exactly big. We need results now. 

Still don't think there's a snowball's chance of it happening, but we have too much defensive talent to be playing this bad.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Hasn't he done this before, in the distant past?

I want to say he was calling the defense or had a heavy hand when Leslie Frazier was here. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good for Tampa Bay!  I sure as hell hope they have a positional coach that they feel is up for the job. (kind of like us with Lazor, last year)  But, as far as the Bengals go, who you going to put into that interim role?  I mean it is mid-season, after all...  Unless we promote Lazor to HC, and demote Marvin to DC, I can't think of any good options.  All of our decent defensive coaches have moved on.

IDK maybe a ex head coach named Haslett. Not saying its time to make the switch but we got options.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 01:07 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: IDK maybe a ex head coach named Haslett. Not saying its time to make the switch but we got options.

As much as I wish Haslett was a good option, he just isn't. 

He's had 8 seasons as a DC in the 2000's, and his defenses never finished better than 21st in points allowed. This includes rankings of:

28th 
31st
31st 
31st
21st
21st
22nd
30th
29th

Yikes. Sadly, we have no other obvious candidates, so Haslett's experience would give him a leg up if we went that route.

Austin isn't going anywhere this season though.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 01:45 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As much as I wish Haslett was a good option, he just isn't. 

He's had 8 seasons as a DC in the 2000's, and his defenses never finished better than 21st in points allowed. This includes rankings of:

28th 
31st
31st 
31st
21st
21st
22nd
30th
29th

Yikes. Sadly, we have no other obvious candidates, so Haslett's experience would give him a leg up if we went that route.

Austin isn't going anywhere this season though.
As a guy just being thrown into the job mid season he is our best option and it would not hurt to see what he could do with the talent we have on D.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 01:51 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: As a guy just being thrown into the job mid season he is our best option and it would not hurt to see what he could do with the talent we have on D.

Fair enough. It's not like Haslett had much talent (if any) on the Redskins or the mid-2000's Rams. 
Reply/Quote
It's hard to see how any other coach could do much worse.
Reply/Quote