Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucs fired their DC - why is Austin still employed?
The sky is falling the sky is falling.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000974617/article/buccaneers-fire-defensive-coordinator-mike-smith

It's bad when Tampa Bay has more accountability than Marvin does. Austin should have been fired after the Carolina debacle but no he's still there like the worthless DC that he is.

you just know if the lions let him go he is shit.Marvin picks him up because Pauly saw the writing and booked out of here. When marvin goes,he will take Austin with him to pissburg and tomlin will teach them all his dirt and they will be happy.the beat goes on.50 years and counting,and you know mikey is going to do nothing,we lose this next big and the players will mail it in.all you fans need to stop spending 2-3 hundred dollars on mikey and quit going down there,nothing changes no matter how much you scream and yell.there is no team in nfl that fears coming here.players here are taught to be choir boys and be nice.I have yet to see anyplayer here that is top in his game.Nick Vigil needs to ride the bench.He is a backup at best.Always tackles after the fact or after a 1st down.what a joke this d is.first Austin and please fire marvin 10 years ago.dude has won NOTHING Hilarious Hilarious LMAO LMAO
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 11:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not really. They were trying to knock them out of field goal range. A run would be stuffed with that blitz. A long pass would likely get Ben sacked. Only a dump over the middle would be it, and that's what they did. He played percentages, Pittsburgh won. That's how it goes sometimes....

I think you're right.  That's pretty much what Austin said.  I still think Marvin should go after this season though.
Reply/Quote
Bengals could (or should) have seen this coming from Austin just by looking at his tenure in Detroit.
2017 DET:
Points Allowed = 21st
Total Yards Allowed = 27th
Passing Yards Allowed = 27th
Rushing Yards Allowed = 18th

Specialty DEF rankings:
Sacks = 20th
Total Tackles = 15th
INTs = tied for 4th
FFs = tied for 4th

Austin's approach has always been about aggressiveness and turnovers, not yardage allowed. He's a gambler.
Reminds me a lot of Bresnahan's approach from what I remember.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He is hampered by the NT and LB situations. That's pretty clear. And now he's getting hit with all these injuries. None of that helps.

But I gotta say, he does not seem to be all that adept at finding any creative ways to play defense.

It seems to me that sending extra guys at the QB who run right into the wall of humanity in front of said QB really seems like a waste. Blitzing is a matter of timing and surprise. I see none of that.

No delayed blitzes to stop the QB from having all day, no blitzers running free from overloads or missed line calls created by confusion. None of that.

I would love to see the creativity I see from Bill Lazor used on the other side of the ball. Necessity is the mother of invention. Invent some shit, TA.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:05 PM)pally Wrote: because he is a new coordinator with a new system only 6 games into the season.  A season where we are 4-2

Also, if these defensive players had at least average hands for DB's we would have about 14 interceptions right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 02:48 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Also, if these defensive players had at least average hands for DB's we would have about 14 interceptions right now.

No doubt.  Just about everyone back there has at least one drop.

And I would love to know the percentage of dropped int's that come back to bite a defense in the ass. I'll bet it's pretty high.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 02:48 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Also, if these defensive players had at least average hands for DB's we would have about 14 interceptions right now.

Was like 4 this week alone wasn't it?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
They're waiting for Vance Joseph to get fired so they can hire him for DC Mellow
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Just think about what Carlos said after the game and then think about scheme. What do we do up front to get Geno and Carlos into better situations? Nothing special. No stunts, no twists or anything - just line up and beat your man. If you recall Zim was noteworthy for the kind of creative stuff he pulled up front and even Guenther occasionally got creative (remember the MNF game where he had Peyton Manning confused with all the unusual disguised looks?).

Hopefully with an inexperienced QB who looked very human against the Pats in the first half in part because they were showing lots of unusual looks we do the same. But knowing Austin we will instead use our usual bland defense with huge pillow soft zones.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 12:02 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've seen it happen before. Normally I'd say ride it out, but our window isn't exactly big. We need results now. 

Still don't think there's a snowball's chance of it happening, but we have too much defensive talent to be playing this bad.

Believe our window started closing when Jones and Sanu left and then slammed shut when Whit and Zeitler left. 

Bengals made fantastic moves in offseason to try and rectify this but think our window does not really open back until next year. 

AND that will only happen with right players added (OL,NT) with no major losses elsewhere. 

Now do believe we could make some noise and get that playoff win and maybe two this year if cards fall just right still. Need to get healthy and stay healthy though per not having much room for error. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 01:48 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: The sky is falling the sky is falling.

For some the sky has fell already and there is no reversing it. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good for Tampa Bay!  I sure as hell hope they have a positional coach that they feel is up for the job. (kind of like us with Lazor, last year)  But, as far as the Bengals go, who you going to put into that interim role?  I mean it is mid-season, after all...  Unless we promote Lazor to HC, and demote Marvin to DC, I can't think of any good options.  All of our decent defensive coaches have moved on.

Lol id love to see this
Reply/Quote
I think Austin has been what we expected.

Personally, I like him.

If we're going to lose close games like we did on Sunday i'd rather lose while trying to be aggressive. The culture change of accountability and taking our chances has been a nice change too. Give him time and the yards and points will come down but I'm confident the interceptions and turnovers will always be there with him.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 01:57 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: *yet another disjointed, improperly capitalized and punctuated rant*

I have yet to read even ONE of this guy's posts completely.
They hurt my eyes.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 12:52 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe our window started closing when Jones and Sanu left and then slammed shut when Whit and Zeitler left. 

Bengals made fantastic moves in offseason to try and rectify this but think our window does not really open back until next year. 

AND that will only happen with right players added (OL,NT) with no major losses elsewhere. 

Now do believe we could make some noise and get that playoff win and maybe two this year if cards fall just right still. Need to get healthy and stay healthy though per not having much room for error. 

Am I missing something about the NT position? Billings has actually played solid from what I’ve seen 69 on PFF, better than any NT performance from last year). Bengals need better pass rush from inside, but that doesn’t have to be Billings. That could (should?) be MJ, Willis, or Hubbard. If the concern is rush defense, that doesn’t fall solely on Billings. Whole DL and play calling are to blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
You can fire whoever, and make big changes but two things stay the same. Head coach and owner. Just ride the wave. As Dunlap said doing same thing and expecting different results.
Reply/Quote
All I know is it sure makes me sad to watch Peko playing NT in Denver, holding double teams and getting penetration. He sure took a lot of flak here that was undeserved.....
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 08:45 AM)ben_lewtas9 Wrote: I think Austin has been what we expected.

Personally, I like him.

If we're going to lose close games like we did on Sunday i'd rather lose while trying to be aggressive. The culture change of accountability and taking our chances has been a nice change too. Give him time and the yards and points will come down but I'm confident the interceptions and turnovers will always be there with him.

Except he is not CONSISTENTLY aggressive. Aggressive would be letting your corners who all are MUCH better players in man coverage play press man. Let Bates actually roam like a real free safety. Do things and tricks up front to help get better matchups for Geno and Carlos. Press man delays those quick out passes by making the play take a little longer to develop  - thus helping Geno and Carlos get home. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: All I know is it sure makes me sad to watch Peko playing NT in Denver, holding double teams and getting penetration. He sure took a lot of flak here that was undeserved.....

I agree with ya.....but to be fair....they WERE playing ARZ Tongue  Jeez man, my opponent in FF had the Denver D, and them sumbitches scored 34 points as a result of that dumpster fire in the desert.  34!!!!!!!!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote