Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Budget Proposal
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-trump-budget/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-presidential-budget-2018-proposal/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_b-graphic-desktoptablet-12am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

WaPo and Bloomberg had some pretty good infographics that break down Trump's proposed budget. Spending increases for defense and homeland security offset by cuts across the board for nearly every non-defense related domestic department. Nearly 80 programs lose federal funding while 19 agencies are completely defunded. Those 19 are:

Quote:African Development Foundation
Appalachian Regional Commission
Chemical Safety Board
Corporation for National and Community Service
Corporation for Public Broadcasting
Delta Regional Authority
Denali Commission
Institute of Museum and Library Services
Inter-American Foundation
U.S. Trade and Development Agency
Legal Services Corporation
National Endowment for the Arts
National Endowment for the Humanities
Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation
Northern Border Regional Commission
Overseas Private Investment Corporation
U.S. Institute of Peace
U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness
Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Some of the education cuts:

Cuts $3.7 billion in grants for teacher training, after-school and summer programs, and aid programs to first-generation and low-income students

"Significantly" reduces federal work-study aid to college students

A lot of my lower income students who struggle take advantage of our federally funded after school program. We feed them, tutor them, and then give them transportation home. Great program. Cut.

Cuts for programs helping poor students afford college.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-16-2017, 02:19 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-trump-budget/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-presidential-budget-2018-proposal/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_b-graphic-desktoptablet-12am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

WaPo and Bloomberg had some pretty good infographics that break down Trump's proposed budget. Spending increases for defense and homeland security offset by  cuts across the board for nearly every non-defense related domestic department. Nearly 80 programs lose federal funding while 19 agencies are completely defunded. Those 19 are:

Cuts $3.7 billion in grants for teacher training, after-school and summer programs, and aid programs to first-generation and low-income students

A lot of my lower income students who struggle take advantage of our federally funded after school program. We feed them, tutor them, and then give them transportation home. Great program. Cut.

I had a good joke but it's not even funny anymore.

How anyone can say this is an "America First" budget proposal is beyond me. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-16-2017, 02:19 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-trump-budget/

WaPo and Bloomberg had some pretty good infographics that break down Trump's proposed budget. Spending increases for defense and homeland security offset by  cuts across the board for nearly every non-defense related domestic department. Nearly 80 programs lose federal funding while 19 agencies are completely defunded. Those 19 are:

The Corporation of Public Broadcasting........so they are taking away Public Television?  That one sucks.  No more Lawrence Welk show on Saturday nights?  No more Sesame Street?  No more Ken Burns documentaries?  No more Bob Ross paintings? 

[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Look at the bright side. There will be ample opportunity to earn an education by serving your Country. More scholarships available through Commissioning Sources, healthy GI Bill for enlisted, and SMRT scholarships for those that cannot qualify for Armed Services.

I will say reducing funding for Summer and after school programs is something I do not agree with.

Budget cuts are never fun.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Doing away with LIHEAP and the CDBGs. Lot of people will be outdoors now.

But at least we can buy more drones.
(03-16-2017, 03:04 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: The Corporation of Public Broadcasting........so they are taking away Public Television?  That one sucks.  No more Lawrence Welk show on Saturday nights?  No more Sesame Street?  No more Ken Burns documentaries?  No more Bob Ross paintings?   

Well, Sesame Street's new episodes are on HBO now, anyway, IIRC.

Regardless, the CPB doles out the money to public media: http://www.cpb.org/aboutcpb/financials/budget/

So they don't produce the media, but they are the source of the funding for a lot of it. Some stations will survive, some won't. These stations and companies that produce the content also rely on donations, now they will just have to rely on them completely.

If you like public radio or television, now is a good time to become a sustaining member if you can spare it. Just my little plug for that. I have it set up for one radio station and two television stations.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
The budget director isn't doing a great job at selling cuts to programs that help the elderly and children. A reporter asked about the people affected by having meals on wheels lose funding or head start and the budget director responded by saying:

"It’s probably one of the most compassionate things we can do"

The reporter asked "to cut funding for the elderly?" and he replied

"You’re only focus on half of the equation, right? You’re focusing on recipients of the money. We’re trying to focus on both the recipients of the money and the folks who give us the money in the first place. And I think it’s fairly compassionate to go to them and say, look, we’re not gonna ask you for your hard-earned money anymore, single mom of two in Detroit, give us your money. We’re not gonna do that anymore, unless we can guarantee to you that that money’s actually being used in a proper function. That is about as compassionate as you can get."

That single mom of two probably is more concerned about that 5% spent on education and community assistance programs that free up what she has to spend than the 25% spent on the military.

Not a fan of the budget proposal. Too many of those agencies that would be completely de-funded are more important than a ****ing wall with Mexico and a military budget increase. I hope Congress rejects it and comes up with something more sensible.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(03-16-2017, 03:52 PM)Benton Wrote: Doing away with LIHEAP and the CDBGs. Lot of people will be outdoors now.

But at least we can buy more drones.

Loo on the bright side: Maybe they can all just "Serve their country"?

Whatever
(03-16-2017, 09:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The budget director isn't doing a great job at selling cuts to programs that help the elderly and children. A reporter asked about the people affected by having meals on wheels lose funding or head start and the budget director responded by saying:

"You’re only focus on half of the equation, right? You’re focusing on recipients of the money. We’re trying to focus on both the recipients of the money and the folks who give us the money in the first place. And I think it’s fairly compassionate to go to them and say, look, we’re not gonna ask you for your hard-earned money anymore, single mom of two in Detroit, give us your money. We’re not gonna do that anymore, unless we can guarantee to you that that money’s actually being used in a proper function. That is about as compassionate as you can get."

That single mom of two probably is more concerned about that 5% spent on education and community assistance programs that free up what she has to spend than the 25% spent on the military.

Just read that.

This part really gets to core of the matter:

http://resistancereport.com/class-war/reporters-shocked-meals-compassionate/

Quote:After the reporter tried to interject after the word “compassionate,” Mulvaney finished his thought.

“You’re only focusing on half of the equation. Right? You’re focusing on recipients of the money. We’re trying to focus on both the recipients and the folks who give us the money in the first place, and I think it’s fairly compassionate to go to them and say look, we’re not going to ask you for your hard earned money anymore,” he said.

For reference, $3 billion divided by 137 million tax returns filed in 2015 amounts to an average of $21.80 per taxpayer to make sure elderly shut-ins get meals delivered to them.

This entire administration reeks of vinegar.

I hope none of your families are affected by these greedy self serving bastards.
Can someone please explain to me why the country who spends the most in the world on their military needs to spend even more money on their military when we have been told we aren't playing world police anymore, or else those countries have to pay for it?
(03-17-2017, 09:13 AM)Au165 Wrote: Can someone please explain to me why the country who spends the most in the world on their military needs to spend even more money on their military when we have been told we aren't playing world police anymore, or else those countries have to pay for it?

Easy:  When you run your campaigns on scaring people you have to buy the muscle shirt and bandana to make yourself look tough for them so they vote for you again.
(03-16-2017, 09:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The budget director isn't doing a great job at selling cuts to programs that help the elderly and children. A reporter asked about the people affected by having meals on wheels lose funding or head start and the budget director responded by saying:

That's my biggest issue. If you want to put America First, then taking care of our own needs to be a top priority. And his argument would be better served if this budget was actually showing a reduction in taxes the people would be paying. But, as this article shows, his budget proposal is a bit lacking on the details: http://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-budget/trumps-skinny-budget-omits-most-of-the-budget

In truth, not much from his budget proposal will likely come to fruition. Cuts like what he proposed have been proposed before, but they don't pass muster because they just aren't popular.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-17-2017, 09:13 AM)Au165 Wrote: Can someone please explain to me why the country who spends the most in the world on their military needs to spend even more money on their military when we have been told we aren't playing world police anymore, or else those countries have to pay for it?

Eventually the poor people you've been stealing from for decades are going to get hungry. And when that happens, you've got to have enough drones to put them down.

Mellow
I'm just assuming: @POTUS (who is actually a liberal) will keep the social programs & claim only HE could save them (from his own budget.)
(03-17-2017, 11:05 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'm just assuming: @POTUS (who is actually a liberal) will keep the social programs & claim only HE could save them (from his own budget.)

I dunno. I've had time to think about it. I don't think Congress will be keen on getting rid of some of it. Take CDBGs. Congressmen can use those dollars to go back "home" and say "Look, I helped build you a sewer system, and that community rec building. Vote for me!"
(03-16-2017, 09:50 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Not a fan of the budget proposal. Too many of those agencies that would be completely de-funded are more important than a ****ing wall with Mexico and a military budget increase. I hope Congress rejects it and comes up with something more sensible.

Well of course they will reject it.  They reject every President's budget.  I've never really understood why a president submits a budget.  Trump probably doesn't want to do half the crap in there, but now he can say he tried.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-17-2017, 09:52 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: In truth, not much from his budget proposal will likely come to fruition. Cuts like what he proposed have been proposed before, but they don't pass muster because they just aren't popular.

A lot of these cuts are a good way to lose your seat.

(03-17-2017, 01:21 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A lot of these cuts are a good way to lose your seat.

That they are. Especially one that hasn't been getting a lot of talk, the Appalachian Regional Commission. Appalachia has some die hard red areas, but there are a lot of places in the region that are filled with Obama to Trump voters. Cutting ARC sends a message that he doesn't care about those folks.

A lot of people like the idea of small government until it results in cutting programs and agencies that they have come to rely on.