Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Burfict: I'm Being Singled Out, I'll Have To Change
(02-23-2016, 02:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The only thing i disagree with Burfict about is that someone else wouldn't have been flagged. They would have since there's a clear rule about hitting defenseless receivers in the head or neck.

Bingo.  No matter who would have been making that tackle, they would have been flagged 100% of the time.
Reply/Quote
He's wrong on one point

Anyone would have been flagged for that simply because it looked bad, refs see a violent looking hit they throw the flag more often then not, whether it should be called or not. And that play was a penalty no doubt, although I see it as a hard nosed player giving it his all going to stop a pass that could have set Pitt up to win the game. I don't blame him for it, but it was a penalty also, that happens in football and it doesn't make him dirty or a scumbag.

He is right that he is being targeted tho. Refs have said on many occasions that they go off of reputation when making calls. (Why doesn't the NFL have full time refs who don't need to take short cuts? Idk) it was clear from his first action that the rep he had coming out of college had carried over to the NFL and he got flagged for several hits that weren't penalties because of it, I believe the NFL even apologized for some of them, not that the apology helped the bengals or burfict's reputation which only grew worse and worse. So from what I've seen his negative reputation has grown exponentially with each big hit, regardless of it being illegal or not. It's not fair and it's pathetic that the refs are as much to blame for his villain role as he is imo. It is what it is and he and the bengals will continue to pay the price until he backs off and like he said starts hitting low
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 10:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Burfict still doesn't get it.  Brown was not going to catch the ball.  Burfict does not have to light him up at all.  Burfict dipped his shoulder in to hit Brown even though it was clear the play was over.

This right here. If burfict was worried about winning the game, and not "sending a message" to AB, he would of at least attempted to go up for the ball that was deflected by ABs hands.
Reply/Quote
Fred I have to just disagree with you that Owners don't have influence. All the players you mentioned besides Talib won appeals and got their suspensions lowered. Talib didn't but he is a repeat offender who only got 1 game suspension for multiple offenses as a first suspension, then he got slapped on the wrist for his obvious one in front of the nation. Under the rules Goodell proposed he would have been ejected 5 minutes into the game. That doesn't translate to a 26k fine.

Truth is Owners do have influence. Some more than others. Mike Brown isn't one of them.

A lot of this is because of the media. The outrage caused Goodell to suspend Burfict in record time (2 days later), and then deny his appeal in record time (shows a complete lack of respect for the organization). The media didn't go all in on any of the Steeler players/coaches, they didn't slam Talib even after he admitted purposefully doing what he did. They didn't question the leagues lack of punishment for a repeat offender, even though the Burfict suspension was still fresh.

The narrative created that the Bengals were classless was done by the announcers that showed a lack of class by them (as well as favortism towards the Steelers) attacking Cincinnati fans as much as Cinci players throughout that broadcast. They made Burfict seem out of control, even though there was no signs on the sideline that he was being talked to and held back and out of control anymore than Hill and many other players who were emotional about the "unfortunate" hit that knocked Gio out. That all came from the announcers. Burfict wasn't out of control that game. Cameras didn't catch it, but it was a narrative created by the announcers. They defined that game as much as the players (and Steeler coaches) who played in it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 03:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: Fred I have to just disagree with you that Owners don't have influence. All the players you mentioned besides Talib won appeals and got their suspensions lowered. Talib didn't but he is a repeat offender who only got 1 game suspension for multiple offenses as a first suspension, then he got slapped on the wrist for his obvious one in front of the nation. Under the rules Goodell proposed he would have been ejected 5 minutes into the game. That doesn't translate to a 26k fine.

Truth is Owners do have influence. Some more than others. Mike Brown isn't one of them.

I could just as easily argue that Mike Brown is the reason that Burfict was not suspended BEFORE this playoff dust up.

Owners have zero to do with players getting suspended.  Kraft is as powerful as any owner out there and even he could not stop Goodell from suspending Brady.  The Steelers have had a long list of players suspended.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 03:32 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: He's wrong on one point

Anyone would have been flagged for that simply because it looked bad, refs see a violent looking hit they throw the flag more often then not, whether it should be called or not. And that play was a penalty no doubt, although I see it as a hard nosed player giving it his all going to stop a pass that could have set Pitt up to win the game. I don't blame him for it, but it was a penalty also, that happens in football and it doesn't make him dirty or a scumbag.

I have a problem with him playing the victim card with this statement. It's like he totally forgets he's done many other things and he's victim of unfair officiating.

The hit on Brown was a penalty, no question. The Max Williams hit was dirty. The camera toss was a total bush league move. Twisting Cam, Olsen, and Brandon Marshall’s ankles, c’mon man.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 03:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: A lot of this is because of the media. The outrage caused Goodell to suspend Burfict in record time, and then deny his appeal in record time. The media didn't go all in on any of the Steeler players/coaches, they didn't slam Talib even after he admitted purposefully doing what he did. The narrative created that the Bengals were classless was done by the announcers that showed a lack of class by attacking Cincinnati fans as much as Cinci players throughout that broadcast. They made Burfict seem out of control, even though there was no signs on the sideline that he was being talked to and held back and out of control. That all came from the announcers. Burfict wasn't out of control that game. Cameras didn't catch it, but it was a narrative created by the announcers. They defined that game as much as the players (and Steeler coaches) who played in it.

Don't blame the announcers.  Blame the players who committed 100 penalties in the two regular season games between them.

And Burfict has no one to blame but himself for his reputation.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 03:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I could just as easily argue that Mike Brown is the reason that Burfict was not suspended BEFORE this playoff dust up.

Owners have zero to do with players getting suspended.  Kraft is as powerful as any owner out there and even he could not stop Goodell from suspending Brady.  The Steelers have had a long list of players suspended.

I respect Kraft for the fight he put up. That organization has had a long leash with the League for a long time. I think Goodell felt pressure from other teams to do something after the perceived spygate wrist slap. I believe Kraft had great influence. Not sure they are on good terms now, but wouldn't say they weren't before.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 04:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't blame the announcers.  Blame the players who committed 100 penalties in the two regular season games between them.

And Burfict has no one to blame but himself for his reputation.

I think if you go back and watch the game and listen to the announcers they did set the narrative with their focus on Burfict even as Steelers players were dancing and celebrating their big hits and Bengals injuries etc. There was never any comment about that, they didn't even question Porter being in the defensive huddle. One of the more interesting takes on the wildcard game is the influence of the announcers on the narrative. Again, when they start saying Burfict is out of control, watch, you never see Burfict out of control. You just hear them say it over an over again. Watch Burfict, watch Burfict, watch Burfict...... As he sat on the sideline getting direction from Guenther along with the rest of the defense.

Announcers play an important role in the narrative of the game. The narrative they set is in any case, the narrative that is remembered. It's a good case study of how the announcers who did attack Cincinnati fans towards the end of the broadcast (which completely crossed any norm for the industry) and call them names that you don't hear other announcers refer to fans as, can define a game.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 04:05 PM)jj22 Wrote:  I think Goodell felt pressure from other teams to do something after the perceived spygate wrist slap. 

Highest fine in league history ($500k) for a coach.  Another quarter million fine for the team, and a first round draft pick?

You call that a wrist slap?  If the league did the exact same thing to the Bengals you would be citing it as proof that Mike Brown has no influence with the league office.
Reply/Quote
I don't, but there was report that owners though they got off easy which was why he came down hard on them for deflategate.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 03:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I could just as easily argue that Mike Brown is the reason that Burfict was not suspended BEFORE this playoff dust up.

When was Brady suspended?

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 04:37 PM)spazz70 Wrote: When was Brady suspended?

Goodell suspended Brady for the first four games of next season.  Kraft could not do anything to stop it.  Brady had to go to court to get it overturned.

Thanks for showing how much you know about the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Goodell suspended Brady for the first four games of next season.  Kraft could not do anything to stop it.  Brady had to go to court to get it overturned.

Thanks for showing how much you know about the NFL.

Again...When was Brady suspended?

I do not care how it was overturned.

Brady has never been suspended. 

Brady has never missed a game because of a suspension.

Do you think that Burfict could go to court and get his suspension overturned?

Keep your beliefs...Owners and organizations are treated differently just like any division of people in society...If you do not believe or recognize this then you are showing your lack of football knowledge.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 06:17 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Again...When was Brady suspended?

I do not care how it was overturned.

Brady has never been suspended. 

Brady has never missed a game because of a suspension.

Can't believe such a simple concept went over your head.

If Kraft had any pull with Goodell then Brady would not have been suspended.

Goodell has nothing to do with what the judge did in the court case.  
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 11:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Burfict was outside the has marks when the ball goes over Browns hands.  He then dips his shoulder to take a shot a Browns head.

[Image: burfict1.gif?w=650]

Burfict had plenty of time to make adjustments and not hit Brown.  Just like if the ball had been arriving Burfict would have had time to adjust and make a play on the ball instead of just lowering his shoulder and hitting Brown.  We see defenders make these adjustments all the time when they decide to go for the ball instead of the hit.  

The ball was so far passed Brown that Buyrfict does not even pretend to make a play on it.

That is slow motion Fred....if you slow down burficts hit on pig Ben it looks bad....
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
This thread makes my head hurt...

WHY CANT WE BE FRIENDS?
WHY CANT WE BE FRIENDS?
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I really wish he wouldn't have admitted to anything. Brown lowered his head. If he wouldn't have done that.. Burfict's shoulder would have hit him in the chest. Bang/Bang

I understand why he admitted he was in the wrong, he is trying to get the suspension reduced which won't happen. He just needs to face that from here on out he is a marked man no matter what he does and do his best to adjust accordingly.

I will be watching the refs watching Burfict with great interest.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 12:12 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: He thinks if he's not number 55 he doesn't get flagged says all you need to know. In his own mind, that hit was legit.

it was a THING OF BEAUTY!!! He cracked him to make sure he didn't catch the ball!

Reply/Quote
According to Solomon Wilcots....it wasn't that bad , and nowhere near as bad as Shazier's hit. He also brings up the point about Burfict simply returning favors to the Steelers for the way they have played the Bengals over the years. Clearly fred is wrong.....I'll go with a former professional player over some guy on a message board. Now, where have I heard that line before.....hmmmmmm....

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Nelson-hopes-to-return-as-combine-opens/3c1747a6-9293-44ba-802b-d2d0cda7a95f

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote