Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict and the phantom roughing
If the was_________ then it wouldn't have been called. Wah Wah Wah, the league hate us. Wah Wah Wah.

Reply/Quote
So does anyone have a clip of it? I wasn't able to watch the 2nd half yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 12:01 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Not disputing this.

Just sayin'...  you'd think he'd kicked puppies and then stole an old lady's handbag the way people act about it.

There are straight up criminals on our own team and everywhere around the NFL.

There are also dirty players current and in the HOF.

The very call that put him on his latest suspension is certainly a gray area to those in and around the league.

He's made mistakes and is paying for it in fines and suspensions that carry over to judgement calls by refs.

If you don't agree... fine.  There are others who do, that aren't affiliated with the Bengals or fans.

The NFL was more physical years ago therefore dirty players could get to the HOF. All of this concussion stuff has made the NFL want to give the perception atleast that player safety is important.

22 personal fouls in 37 college football games. Just think about that?

Burfict, like it or not...is at the extreme of the personal foul issue. You may be able to find a player with a dirtier personal foul here and there...but you aren't going to find many players with the volume of personal fouls.

I think the maddening thing with the NFL is that guys like Mike Mitchell go helmet to helmet and occasionally don't get called. One thing to keep in mind is officials see things real-time. They don't have the benefit of slow motion replays and seeing a play over and over like fans do on TV.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 09:54 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The NFL was more physical years ago therefore dirty players could get to the HOF. All of this concussion stuff has made the NFL want to give the perception atleast that player safety is important.

22 personal fouls in 37 college football games. Just think about that?

Burfict, like it or not...is at the extreme of the personal foul issue. You may be able to find a player with a dirtier personal foul here and there...but you aren't going to find many players with the volume of personal fouls.

I think the maddening thing with the NFL is that guys like Mike Mitchell go helmet to helmet and occasionally don't get called. One thing to keep in mind is officials see things real-time. They don't have the benefit of slow motion replays and seeing a play over and over like fans do on TV.
It's a concerted effort by a group of guys who have been instructed to get rid of the player.  It's not some innocent human nature.  Stop acting like it is. 

And you keep harping ad nauseam on the college career, which is completely irrelevant.  The only relevant factor is each play and whether a foul was committed.  No player should have to play by a separate set of rules.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Here's some light-reading for you. He's been a dirty player since high school. This isn't just some conspiracy in the Pro's.

A complete history of Vontaze Burfict being the most reckless football player
Vontaze Burfict’s history of not caring about the well-being of others started long before he ever reached the NFL.

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/18/13351854/vontaze-burfict-history-cincinnati-bengals-asu-personal-fouls
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 10:59 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here's some light-reading for you:

Vontaze Burfict’s history of not caring about the well-being of others started long before he ever reached the NFL.

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/18/13351854/vontaze-burfict-history-cincinnati-bengals-asu-personal-fouls

Totally irrelevant.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 11:01 AM)McC Wrote: Totally irrelevant.

So you think there were conspiracies at every level of football he played since high school to call personal fouls on him?
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 11:06 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So you think there were conspiracies at every level of football he played since high school to call personal fouls on him?

Did I say anything even close to that?

What I'm saying is that what he did in college has nothing to do with anything.  The only thing that matters is each play and whether an actual foul was committed.  There can't be one set of rules for him and another for everyone else, plain and simple.  Why are you so against Burfict?

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 11:14 AM)McC Wrote: Did I say anything even close to that?

What I'm saying is that what he did in college has nothing to do with anything.  The only thing that matters is each play and whether an actual foul was committed.  There can't be one set of rules for him and another for everyone else, plain and simple.  Why are you so against Burfict?

I'm not actually against Burfict. I actually like him.

I'm trying to be objective.

I think the maddening thing with the NFL is a guy like Mike Mitchell for the Steelers goes head hunting every week and doesn't get called. What do they need to do though, make personal fouls reviewable? Allow someone from the booth to be able to throw flags?

The game happens so quick and fans receive the benefit of replays on TV from different angles.

I think that any time he does something, due to his reputation he will be assumed guilty? Is this fair? No. But he did earn this reputation by having an extreme amount of personal fouls at every level of football.

And yes...there appears to be inconsistencies in officiating in every sport. Superstar calls in the NBA. Good pitchers getting a wider strike zone in MLB. Obstruction calls in hockey when someone touches a superstar.

Sports definitely aren't fair.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 11:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm not actually against Burfict. I actually like him.

I'm trying to be objective.

I think the maddening thing with the NFL is a guy like Mike Mitchell for the Steelers goes head hunting every week and doesn't get called. What do they need to do though, make personal fouls reviewable? Allow someone from the booth to be able to throw flags?

The game happens so quick and fans receive the benefit of replays on TV from different angles.

I think that any time he does something, due to his reputation he will be assumed guilty? Is this fair? No. But he did earn this reputation by having an extreme amount of personal fouls at every level of football.

And yes...there appears to be inconsistencies in officiating in every sport. Superstar calls in the NBA. Good pitchers getting a wider strike zone in MLB. Obstruction calls in hockey when someone touches a superstar.

Sports definitely aren't fair.

He earned the reputation, for sure.  But he has cleaned up his act considerably.  Why does he deserve no consideration for that?  Why is there no path back to being treated like everyone else for him?  And it's crystal clear that no such path exists. 

I honestly believe he could sue the league and win.  They are doing everything possible to take his livelihood away from him.  It's not just honest, good faith mistakes.  It's a concerted effort.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 11:26 AM)McC Wrote: He earned the reputation, for sure.  But he has cleaned up his act considerably.  Why does he deserve no consideration for that?  Why is there no path back to being treated like everyone else for him?  And it's crystal clear that no such path exists. 

I honestly believe he could sue the league and win.  They are doing everything possible to take his livelihood away from him.  It's not just honest, good faith mistakes.  It's a concerted effort.

Perhaps what we're saying isn't as far apart as we think?

I think had he cleaned up his act sooner it may have avoided a lot of this. I realize in life we can only control from the present forward though.

The bad thing that I see is the appeals. They appeal the cases and it doesn't get overturned. And I agree the KC hit...while unnecessary didn't look particularly dirty.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 10:59 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here's some light-reading for you. He's been a dirty player since high school. This isn't just some conspiracy in the Pro's.

One play at a time, man.

Was it a good call yes or no.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 09:23 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: So does anyone have a clip of it?  I wasn't able to watch the 2nd half yesterday.

Here's an "article" about it and Dunlap tweeting it was clean. Video in twitter screenshot in article.

https://www.google.com/amp/bengalswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/02/carlos-dunlap-goes-to-bat-vontaze-burfict-penalty/amp/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 12:00 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Here's an "article" about it and Dunlap tweeting it was clean. Video in twitter screenshot in article.

https://www.google.com/amp/bengalswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/02/carlos-dunlap-goes-to-bat-vontaze-burfict-penalty/amp/

I didn't watch the game, but after seeing this, that call was complete bullshit!! Actually text book tackling that is taught at every level of football. The NFL needs to get a clue.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 11:49 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: One play at a time, man.

Was it a good call yes or no.

That was indeed a bad call.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 11:26 AM)McC Wrote: He earned the reputation, for sure.  But he has cleaned up his act considerably.  Why does he deserve no consideration for that?  Why is there no path back to being treated like everyone else for him?  And it's crystal clear that no such path exists. 

I agree with this. The fact he had a personal foul issue in college is irrelevant. If you take away the BS personal fouls called on him for his "reputation", then he actually has very few. I'd love for him to take the league to court and make them explain to a Federal judge how the Kansas City hit and this one were illegal. They are taking money out of his pocket with every fine and suspension, so he has standing to bring a case.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 12:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I agree with this. The fact he had a personal foul issue in college is irrelevant. If you take away the BS personal fouls called on him for his "reputation", then he actually has very few. I'd love for him to take the league to court and make them explain to a Federal judge how the Kansas City hit and this one were illegal. They are taking money out of his pocket with every fine and suspension, so he has standing to bring a case.

I think he's going to end up banned from the NFL eventually if he doesn't do something. Maybe legal action is needed.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 12:00 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Here's an "article" about it and Dunlap tweeting it was clean. Video in twitter screenshot in article.

That's like a film you would show of how to tackle.  And it wasn't late either.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 10:42 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: No, Burfict has painted a bullseye on Burfict.  Do not attempt to pretend he does not have a history of smacking balls, twisting ankles, and leading with the helmet that created his image.

No the Steelers whined about him hurting LeVeon Bell is why he has a bullseye on his back.  Half this shit the has done is exaggerated like an old Babe Ruth story.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2017, 01:31 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: No the Steelers whined about him hurting LeVeon Bell is why he has a bullseye on his back.  Half this shit the has done is exaggerated like an old Babe Ruth story.

Some of his hits were exaggerated...but watch this video. He had 2-3 hits that were as bad as Trevatheon's early on in his career.

He has cleaned things up A LOT though over the past year or so.

Reply/Quote