Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict not back until late November. (?)
According to the article posted on PFT http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/22/burfict-ogbuehi-facing-critical-days-if-they-hope-to-help-bengals-this-season/

It seems that Burfict won't be ready until late November.

he Bengals are 6-0, as healthy as a team six games into a season can be and get this weekend to rest before a Nov. 1 game at Pittsburgh that could potentially create a whole bunch of separation between the Bengals and the rest of the AFC North.

They might be getting reinforcements, too.

Linebacker Vontaze Burfict and first-round offensive tackle Cedric Ogbuehi are still working with trainers this week as their teammates have been dismissed for a long weekend. Thursday, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis told Sirius XM Radio that Burfict and Ogbuehi are facing “a couple critical days….to not have any setbacks” that could determine whether they’re able to be on the practice field with their teammates on Monday.

“They see themselves having turned the corner,” Lewis said. “Every day they have in rehab is important.”

Burfict is on PUP due to a knee injury, and Ogbuehi is on the non-football injured list after he tore his ACL in his final college game last December.

Burfict had microfracture surgery last January. In September, he vowed to be ready for the Bengals’ Nov. 1 game at Pittsburgh.

That seems unlikely now, but what Lewis said indicates the Bengals believe he can come back later in November. The Bengals have until Dec. 1 to activate Burfict and Ogbuehi — or three weeks from when they officially return to the practice field.

“We’re impressed with where they are in the process,” Lewis said. “Now we’re just trying to transition them as close as we can to make them ready to eventually come back and handle the rigors of football practice.

“We do feel good about their progress.”

UPDATE: 

The front Page Article seems to be going with this slightly

Upbeat Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis told a national radio audience Thursday that his players on rehab have turned the corner and are getting “ready to return to football.”

It sounds like if they continue at this pace during this week’s bye that Pro Bowl linebacker backer Vontaze Burfictand first-rounder Cedric Ogbuehi could return to practice as soon as Monday.
But Lewis wouldn’t go as far as that during his interview with Alex Marvez on Sirius NFL Radio and called this week’s rehab “crucial,” noting that the Bengals theoretically have five weeks to make a call and, "We're not going to rush into anything until we really feel like they're ready.”
The Bengals basically have until Dec. 1 to make a final decision on Burifct, on the physically unable to perform list (PUP), and Ogbuehi, on the non-football injury list.
Still, barring a setback this week, there seemed to be a sense of optimism that a return for the Nov. 1 game in Pittsburgh was at least still on the table.
“We're impressed with where they are in the process," Lewis said on the program. “It's really been good to watch the smiles come on their faces as they see themselves having turned the corner now and getting ready to play NFL football."
Not only is it unclear if Burfict is ready for Pittsburgh, but also unknown is how much he could play on Nov. 1 after not playing in a game since Oct. 26, 2014 and undergoing micro fracture knee surgery in January. Ogbuehi would be in a reserve role behind left tackle Andrew Whitworth.
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
I think mid to late November is reasonable. If the team was 4-2, 3-3 right now, there may be a need to rush him back.

Sitting at 6-0, there is no necessity for Burfict at the moment, they will wait as long as they can, just to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Probably November 16 against the Texans would be my guess. We get a long week of practice after TNF to see if Burfict can be ready to go, which by then he should be.
Reply/Quote
Hobson also said he thinks he will practice on Monday barring any setbacks in his Hobson choice article.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 09:49 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Sitting at 6-0, there is no necessity for Burfict at the moment, they will wait as long as they can, just to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Not sure I agree with the logic that his return is dependent on our record. It's nice that we're 6-0 without him, but you don't make a medical decision based on our record. They are going to bring him back when they think his ready, period.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 12:34 AM)Utts Wrote: Not sure I agree with the logic that his return is dependent on our record. It's nice that we're 6-0 without him, but you don't make a medical decision based on our record. They are going to bring him back when they think his ready, period.

I have to agree with this. The defense is a bit leaky, particularly at the linebacker position. Furthermore, this is hardly a safe 6-0. Yes, a playoff berth is likely, but the fight for a first round bye is going to be tight with the top 3 in the AFC still undefeated. Of course, to earn a first round bye, a team has to win their division and a loss to Pittsburgh could suddenly find the Steelers just a 1/2 game back despite the Bengals' undefeated September & October.

No, if Burfict is ready to go next week, you have to put him out there in Pittsburgh and try to thoroughly take control of the division. If he doesn't play, then I think we have to assume he is simply not ready.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 12:34 AM)Utts Wrote: Not sure I agree with the logic that his return is dependent on our record. It's nice that we're 6-0 without him, but you don't make a medical decision based on our record. They are going to bring him back when they think his ready, period.

Of course our record matters. At 6-0 the players and coaches are under very little pressure to lose their jobs. If we had 3-4 losses at this point, there is a high probability the the team would be pulling all the stops to vie for a playoff berth, including rushing players back from injury.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Head Coaches are masters at player "Fudge". Seeing it now with the steelers painting Ben as returning to playing imminently.

Saw it with the Bills with their QB situation. Taylor was practicing, ready to hit the field, when the Bengals were going to play them. I think he's still out this week, too.

Marvin is at the top of the heap when it comes to this. Only internal Bengals staff know the real answer when it comes to Burfict. And, they've been given strict instruction not to say anything. The only coach better is Bellichick.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2015, 09:49 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Probably November 16 against the Texans would be my guess. We get a long week of practice after TNF to see if Burfict can be ready to go, which by then he should be.

This is what I am thinking.

That give him the entire second half of the season.
Reply/Quote
I've been asking when he had that surgery for months. I assumed it was right around the last game he played.

If he had it in January, he won't play this year.  Quit holding your breathe.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The keyword here is 'ready'. As much as we would benefit having him back, Marvin is not going to jeopardize the health of his star defender. We won't see Burfict until he has recovered 100%
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I agree with the Texans game gives him nearly a full month to get into shape so he doesn't get winded playing.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 11:48 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: The keyword here is 'ready'. As much as we would benefit having him back, Marvin is not going to jeopardize the health of his star defender. We won't see Burfict until he has recovered 100%

Last year Marvin sent him back into the Falcons game after he had clearly suffered some sort of concussion.

Wasn't that the game where the refs made Burfict leave because he was so woozy and then he later returned to the game?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 04:51 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: Of course our record matters. At 6-0 the players and coaches are under very little pressure to lose their jobs. If we had 3-4 losses at this point, there is a high probability the the team would be pulling all the stops to vie for a playoff berth, including rushing players back from injury.

Since when has Marvin Lewis' job ever been on the line?

I can't remember a time when the team was thinking about letting him go, even when the team could hardly buy a win.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 11:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year Marvin sent him back into the Falcons game after he had clearly suffered some sort of concussion.

Wasn't that the game where the refs made Burfict leave because he was so woozy and then he later returned to the game?

Burfict's seemingly insistence to keep playing put the team at risk unnecessarily last year. And that's why I wrote what I did. Marvin got that wrong, seriously wrong. I doubt if he will let that happen again, at least knowingly. That's my hope anyway.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Better for the team to know if Burfict can play or not in Pittsburgh. Pretty obvious Ben will be back for Cincy and is resting this week. Regardless of who plays or doesn't, I don't expect him to be 100% mobile and we better take him down as much as possible.

Pittsburgh is a big hump for this team this season.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 12:51 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Better for the team to know if Burfict can play or not in Pittsburgh. Pretty obvious Ben will be back for Cincy and is resting this week. Regardless of who plays or doesn't, I don't expect him to be 100% mobile and we better take him down as much as possible.

Pittsburgh is a big hump for this team this season.

I still don't think Ben is guaranteed to play.
Reply/Quote
I will put down a $1000 bet that Ben plays, in whatever capacity he's in. Who wants the bet? Remember, if you lose, I get a new PC essentially. Steelers can't afford to lose to us.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Sean Porter is on the PUP list too. I know what a crucial cog in the wheel he has been. We've all been anxiously awaiting his return. He's the contingency plan for VB.

I haven't heard or read a word about him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2015, 12:42 AM)34inXXIII Wrote: I have to agree with this. The defense is a bit leaky, particularly at the linebacker position. Furthermore, this is hardly a safe 6-0. Yes, a playoff berth is likely, but the fight for a first round bye is going to be tight with the top 3 in the AFC still undefeated. Of course, to earn a first round bye, a team has to win their division and a loss to Pittsburgh could suddenly find the Steelers just a 1/2 game back despite the Bengals' undefeated September & October.

No, if Burfict is ready to go next week, you have to put him out there in Pittsburgh and try to thoroughly take control of the division. If he doesn't play, then I think we have to assume he is simply not ready.

Do you really want him out there in the most important game of the year thus far with no game experience this year?

I don't.  I think you take your time with him and make sure he is healthy and slowly work him back.  Playing against Pittsburgh could be more harm than good.
Reply/Quote
The great thing is: We don't have to rush him back, while the Steelers must rush back Big Ben.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote