Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Burfict on injury list, tweaked knee?
(11-15-2015, 04:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He probably has.

If I had their money and my body was worth millions then I would try just about anything to heal better and/or faster.

I know some NBA players were going to Europe for some procedure they could not get here in the states.  In fact I think it had something to do with stem cells.  .

Kobiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 05:05 PM)SFmajor Wrote: LOL!!  Sled21 and Nate, to bad you guys missed watching Roach Play in the Pre-season.  Your Bad!  Roach was ranked 21st out of 134 Inside LB's for the 2015 Draft.  His stock was up during the Draft (7th Round or Preferred FA).  He would have finished in the Top 12 for ILB's for the 2015 Draft but had injured his foot in 2013 so he didn't play that year.  .  He came back very strong his senior year in 2014 and started for Nebraska at MLB.   Roach's Pro-day stats would have had him finish in the Top 5 for ILB's at the Combine had he been invited.  Lewis liked what he saw in this Power 5 (Big Ten) LB so he was brought on as UDFA for this year.   Yes, he is on the PS.  Okay, no problem.   Roach has been compared to other former Nebraska LB's like Scott Shanley and Barrett Rude.   Both had very long and successful careers in the NFL. 

Just keep an eye on him.  Don't count him out.  He brings a lot to the table.  A lot more (IMO) than what your seeing with the 3rd round LB draft pick the Bengal's took this year.   I think you know who I'm talking about. :-).

In Addition, don't you find it interesting that there hasn't been any changes to the PS since it was established this season?  Look at the daily transactions from other teams.  The Bengals are solid with their PS and haven't made ANY moves to bringing in LB's to the team.  So the consensus among fans might be that our LB Corp is not that great.  But this doesn't seem to be the thoughts of the Bengals Coaching Staff and the GM.   Why aren't the fans on the same game plan as the coaches with regard to LB's?  Just curious.

So what are you? His cousin? His sister? A fellow alumnus?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
It's the "blood spinning" you heard about - Tiger Woods and Alex Rodriguez did it along with Kobe, so Dara Torres and Bartolo Colon and Carlos Beltran. It's platelet-rich plasma therapy where they take your own blood and spin it in a centrifuge, which separates out the platelets and plasma - and then its injected back into the injured area. The idea is that it aids the healing process.

Bryant and A-Rod went to Germany because it's on the line of PED use here, thought I think Colon and Wood's procedures were done stateside. I think it's still relatively new/unproven. And while some football players make money, they don't make NBA/MLB/Tiger Woods money. I imagine it's pretty expensive to do that.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
A-Rod getting an upper hand any way he can.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 10:54 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: You will know why thy drafted to OTs in the next two years

Know why they did it, and you are right for the future. 

But I want to win a SB, and the window of opportunity is now. 

There was very few holes on this year's team and they were on defense. Luckily Geno came back to full speed.

Do not believe Whit is going anywhere for a couple years anyway. That only leaves one spot becoming vacant immediately and could have tagged Smith if necessary if Fisher did not pan out and then draft another one high next year to be Whit's future replacement. 

Oh well, like I said before. Love drafting OL early almost always. Just not this year. But like both players drafted jus not my point.

Still love this squad no matter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 08:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: So what are you? His cousin? His sister? A fellow alumnus?

LOL!  none of the above.  Well, I am a Husker Alumni and I've been watching Roach since he walked on at Nebraska.   Its been a success story for this Kid who finished as an ALL-Metro First Team player in High school, turned down other scholarship offers and then what he has accomplished, despite his 2013 injury, at Nebraska.

So now I have the privilege of following him again as a Bengal.  I know he's not on the 53 man roster at this time, but he'll get there.  Trust me, this kid doesn't quit.  He gives 150% everyday.  Its just his nature.

So just keep an eye on him.    I feel confident that you will like what you see.
Reply/Quote
Anyone named or nicknamed Roach is not worth watching.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 08:14 PM)jowczarski Wrote: It's the "blood spinning" you heard about - Tiger Woods and Alex Rodriguez did it along with Kobe, so Dara Torres and Bartolo Colon and Carlos Beltran. It's platelet-rich plasma therapy where they take your own blood and spin it in a centrifuge, which separates out the platelets and plasma - and then its injected back into the injured area. The idea is that it aids the healing process.

Bryant and A-Rod went to Germany because it's on the line of PED use here, thought I think Colon and Wood's procedures were done stateside. I think it's still relatively new/unproven. And while some football players make money, they don't make NBA/MLB/Tiger Woods money. I imagine it's pretty expensive to do that.

Peyton Manning is the one who went overseas and had stem cell therapy on his neck...
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 05:05 PM)SFmajor Wrote: LOL!!  Sled21 and Nate, to bad you guys missed watching Roach Play in the Pre-season.  Your Bad!  Roach was ranked 21st out of 134 Inside LB's for the 2015 Draft.  His stock was up during the Draft (7th Round or Preferred FA).  He would have finished in the Top 12 for ILB's for the 2015 Draft but had injured his foot in 2013 so he didn't play that year.  .  He came back very strong his senior year in 2014 and started for Nebraska at MLB.   Roach's Pro-day stats would have had him finish in the Top 5 for ILB's at the Combine had he been invited.  Lewis liked what he saw in this Power 5 (Big Ten) LB so he was brought on as UDFA for this year.   Yes, he is on the PS.  Okay, no problem.   Roach has been compared to other former Nebraska LB's like Scott Shanley and Barrett Rude.   Both had very long and successful careers in the NFL. 

Just keep an eye on him.  Don't count him out.  He brings a lot to the table.  A lot more (IMO) than what your seeing with the 3rd round LB draft pick the Bengal's took this year.   I think you know who I'm talking about. :-).

In Addition, don't you find it interesting that there hasn't been any changes to the PS since it was established this season?  Look at the daily transactions from other teams.  The Bengals are solid with their PS and haven't made ANY moves to bringing in LB's to the team.  So the consensus among fans might be that our LB Corp is not that great.  But this doesn't seem to be the thoughts of the Bengals Coaching Staff and the GM.   Why aren't the fans on the same game plan as the coaches with regard to LB's?  Just curious.

(11-15-2015, 09:35 PM)SFmajor Wrote: LOL!  none of the above.  Well, I am a Husker Alumni and I've been watching Roach since he walked on at Nebraska.   Its been a success story for this Kid who finished as an ALL-Metro First Team player in High school, turned down other scholarship offers and then what he has accomplished, despite his 2013 injury, at Nebraska.

So now I have the privilege of following him again as a Bengal.  I know he's not on the 53 man roster at this time, but he'll get there.  Trust me, this kid doesn't quit.  He gives 150% everyday.  Its just his nature.

So just keep an eye on him.    I feel confident that you will like what you see.

Hey man, i was at first skeptical but now you gave me a lot of info and i will watch the guy if he sticks around.

Thanks SF.

Rock On
Reply/Quote

No, I pretty much saw all 4 pre season games, and even went to the one in Indy. Roach did not stand out to me, because I did not remember him. Listen, I hope you are right, it's not like I'm rooting against him, it would be nice to have another beast. But from where I stand, Marvin and Paulie are pretty good linebacker coaches. And once you get past Maualuga, Burfict, Hawk and possibly Rey...our linebacker backups are not that good. If Roach was all of that, I would think Marvin would have put him on the 53 ahead of some of the others...... lot's of guys dominate in college who cannot make it in the NFL for one reason or another......
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 09:58 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Anyone named or nicknamed Roach is not worth watching.

BS, i could say somethin about lots of peoples names...

He didn't name himself.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 10:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No, I pretty much saw all 4 pre season games, and even went to the one in Indy. Roach did not stand out to me, because I did not remember him. Listen, I hope you are right, it's not like I'm rooting against him, it would be nice to have another beast. But from where I stand, Marvin and Paulie are pretty good linebacker coaches. And once you get past Maualuga, Burfict, Hawk and possibly Rey...our linebacker backups are not that good. If Roach was all of that, I would think Marvin would have put him on the 53 ahead of some of the others...... lot's of guys dominate in college who cannot make it in the NFL for one reason or another......

I hear what your saying.  But I would also say that for the "snaps" Roach had in the Pre-season, that he did well with the time he got.  An UDFA Rookie LB coming into the Bengals system isn't going to get a lot of looks for the 53 Man Roster when you have the number of veterans that you do on the team.  Honestly, I'm not that impressed with Dawson at this point either.  But he was a 3rd Round Pick and with a + $2.8M Contract so he was going to make the Roster regardless. 

On Roach not being on the Roster right,  I do wonder if he would offer more that Carter (DE holding a LB Spot) or even Lamur.  I'll leave Dawson out of this discussion since he is a rookie too, but something is up or he would be playing more.  Roach has a high football IQ, plays smart, very fast 10 yard and 20 yard speed,  Covers well in space, displays sound tackling fundamentals and is a solid special teams player.  YES, I think he could contribute right now if activated.  But if he is only insurance at this point, then why not delete him from the PS in favor for another LB with 1 or 2 years experience in the NFL?  For some reason this hasn't happened for Roach or any player on the PS at Cincinnati.

On #1 Draft Picks at ILB for 2015,  Look at Stephone Anthony, LB from Clemson, Starts as the MLB for the New Orleans Saints.  Very Solid LB with lots of talent and they were beat BAD today by a Hapless Redskins team with 45 points against the Saints Stellar Defense.  It's all a chess game when trying to find the right talent for the right scheme.   Despite what Anthony brings to the table, the Saints are going no where this season.

NOW, with all this said.  The Bengals are going into Monday night at 8-0.  NE struggled today against a poor NYG team, so they can be beat.  IMO, the Bengals have a real opportunity to take this a long way this year and (PERHAPS) might play in the Super Bowl.   I think our LB Corp is doing a solid job at this point and if it's Burfict, Mau, Rey and Hawk as the Go To LBs this year, then I'm okay with this.  They just need to stay play smart and stay healthy.  On that, Burfict had better stop using his head to tackle.  I saw this on more than one occasion in his last two games.   So Go Bengals!  Its been hard to watch the Huskers this year, new coach and all.  I've enjoyed watching the Bengals play, (got me an official Bengals Cap too) as well getting to know this team and the great fans on this and other Bengal Fan Boards. 
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 09:58 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Anyone named or nicknamed Roach is not worth watching.
LMAO!!!!!   Okay, you knew I would respond to this.  Don't you know that a Roach creeps up on you very quietly.  then B A M!!!!!!!!  The next thing you know he's every where.  So you'd better watch out for "Roaches". 

Hate to get one in your sandwich when you're not looking.  Wink
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2015, 12:39 AM)SFmajor Wrote: LMAO!!!!!   Okay, you knew I would respond to this.  Don't you know that a Roach creeps up on you very quietly.  then B A M!!!!!!!!  The next thing you know he's every where.  So you'd better watch out for "Roaches". 

Hate to get one in your sandwich when you're not looking.  Wink

He may have had a stellar college career but you have to remember that, especially in postions that see a lot of contact, college success doesn't always translate into NFL success. There is a reason relatively unproductive college players with fantastic measurables are always drafted highly, wear and tear is a very real part of college football. Also some of these guys peak early. Roach may well fall into the category of Colt McCoy, Montee Ball and so many others. 

Reply/Quote
Well personally I hope he excels for several reasons. One, to help the mighty Bengals, and two, because it would be fun to say things like "Did you see the Roach lay the smack on that runner"
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 08:14 PM)jowczarski Wrote: It's the "blood spinning" you heard about - Tiger Woods and Alex Rodriguez did it along with Kobe, so Dara Torres and Bartolo Colon and Carlos Beltran. It's platelet-rich plasma therapy where they take your own blood and spin it in a centrifuge, which separates out the platelets and plasma - and then its injected back into the injured area. The idea is that it aids the healing process.

Didn't Woods have it done in Canada?  I know that his Doctor was Canadian and was indicted for a couple different things.  Unless it has changed, this article says that it is not approved in the US.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1798763-what-is-this-knee-treatment-kobe-bryant-goes-all-the-way-to-germany-for
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see a rewrite of the PED rules to exclude any and all medical use to return a football player to health. The player must have all treatments detailed by their doctors, and he can't return from injury until he tests negative for any and all banned substances. Stiffen the punishments for all non-medically prescribed treatments, and see where that goes... The game is more fun with all of the talent on the field.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2015, 01:19 PM)gobobro Wrote: I'd like to see a rewrite of the PED rules to exclude any and all medical use to return a football player to health. The player must have all treatments detailed by their doctors, and he can't return from injury until he tests negative for any and all banned substances. Stiffen the punishments for all non-medically prescribed treatments, and see where that goes... The game is more fun with all of the talent on the field.

There is no way they could do this.  You can always get a Doctor somewhere to sign off on a "treatment".
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2015, 01:22 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: There is no way they could do this.  You can always get a Doctor somewhere to sign off on a "treatment".

1. Being essentially banned from football until you test clean should eliminate in-season "juicing."

2. Maybe modify the concept. Make the player apply for an exemption during injury, and have a provision of the exemption be that the NFL can have a doctor(s) crawling all through the medical records.

It seems there should be a way to monitor and regulate traditional PED usage in a way that hastens a return to health without hurting the integrity of the game.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2015, 01:31 PM)gobobro Wrote: 1. Being essentially banned from football until you test clean should eliminate in-season "juicing."

2. Maybe modify the concept. Make the player apply for an exemption during injury, and have a provision of the exemption be that the NFL can have a doctor(s) crawling all through the medical records.

It seems there should be a way to monitor and regulate traditional PED usage in a way that hastens a return to health without hurting the integrity of the game.
Honestly the integrity of the game was shot in the 80s when anabolic steroids came into fashion. The league is littered with HGH users, as is every pro sport - team or individual. The NFL does test for it, but it's one just test and the players kind of know when it's coming. They also know when the other tests are coming. Basically, you have to be an idiot to get caught for breaking the substance abuse rules. All of this performance has not come about naturally. Ideally most of it has, but it's 2015. We know what we're signing up for enjoying pro sports.

As for punishment, guys get dinged on a yearly basis, get banned four games, and it's afterthought. How many "Joe Smith is back from suspension..." or "The team will get by until Joe Smith is back from suspension...." It doesn't carry the stigma as it does in Major League Baseball. Maybe - maybe - if the result was an unpaid ban for a year you'd see it truly cut back, but again, the testing mechanism is kinda b.s. 

Part of it logistical, though. HGH is often used to aid in healing quicker, not so much for mass building. And let's be real - what these guys do to their bodies week in and week out is incredible. So if you were to totally take away all their "extra" methods for recovery, rosters would have to expand, IMO. 
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote