Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict's Suspension Likely to be Upheld
Dan Graziano Wrote:Source: Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict’s 3-game suspension upheld by appeals officer Derrick Brooks.

Quote:Source says Burfict, his agent and Bengals coach Mavin Lewis met today with Goodell and Troy Vincent, after appeal was denied.

Quote:Burfict met Thursday with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, at Burfict's request, to discuss his behavior and what to do going forward.

Seems rather...shitty
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 03:36 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Seems rather...shitty

Not surprising. And Burfict is going to need to make clear legal tackles cause refs are going to be throwing flags on him, even if they didn't actually see what happened. It's going to be an interesting year for him next year. If he can get through training camp without any personal fouls that will help his cause come regular season.

The NFL will not suspend Shazier or even fine him either cause that would mean that the refs were wrong and altered the outcome of the game. Can't have that. So they'll wait and penalize Shazier in 2016 on any questionable call that comes along and act like it's some new rule rather than the existing one, which is rather clear.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm pretty positive this is the longest suspension the NFL has ever handed out as a players' first suspension for on field play... which makes it awfully F'ing shady.

James Harrison headhunted for an eternity and got what, two games that was reduced to one game? After knocking out two players in one game with helmet to helmet shots.
OBJ launches into a dude's head with his head after the play and gets 1 game.
Antonio Brown kicks a punter in the face and gets no suspension.
Cody Wallace torpedos his head into another guy's head after the play and gets no suspension.
Ryan Shazier slams the crown of his helmet into a guy's face and the NFL doesn't even fine him.
Ben Roethlisberger gets a 6 game suspension reduced to 4 for rape.
Ray Rice gets suspended 2 games for knocking a woman unconscious and then dragging her around like a doll.
Suh stomps on a guy after a play for the second time, and gets only 1 game reduced to a fine.
Steelers player tweets death threats at Burfict, not even a fine.
Mike Munchak yanks a player's hair on the sideline? 10k.
Joey Porter goes on the field, picks a fight, and changes a playoff game's results? 10k.

Vontaze Burfict goes shoulder to helmet during a play and gets 3 games with no reduction.

Seems legit.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
IDC about what the NFL did to Shazier or didn't do to this and such Steeler player.

I'm more concerned about what the league is saying about what it deems acceptable.

Suh missed 0 games for his "stomping"
Talib missed one game for poking a players eye, after the play.
OBJ gets 3 personal fouls during a game.. and is suspended one game.

I don't see how Burfict can get suspended 3 whole games for this... 1 maybe.. and even then, how can you punish a guy for playing hard DURING THE WHISTLE.

I think the thing that bothers me THE MOST about the Burfict thing is that he has had a few incidents of after field antics earlier in his career but really has been a model player since then. I don't think players should get suspended for playing hard during the whistle, unless it is completely blatant, which I don't think was true with Burfict this year.

Either way, if this doesn't get reduced to 1 game, I don't understand how the F*** the NFL decides how to discipline players.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 03:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm pretty positive this is the longest suspension the NFL has ever handed out as a players' first suspension for on field play... which makes it awfully F'ing shady.

James Harrison headhunted for an eternity and got what, two games that was reduced to one game? After knocking out two players in one game with helmet to helmet shots.
OBJ launches into a dude's head with his head after the play and gets 1 game.
Antonio Brown kicks a punter in the face and gets no suspension.
Cody Wallace torpedos his head into another guy's head after the play and gets no suspension.
Ryan Shazier slams the crown of his helmet into a guy's face and the NFL doesn't even fine him.
Ben Roethlisberger gets a 6 game suspension reduced to 4 for rape.
Ray Rice gets suspended 2 games for knocking a woman unconscious and then dragging her around like a doll.
Suh stomps on a guy after a play for the second time, and gets only 1 game.
Steelers player tweets death threats at Burfict, not even a fine.
Mike Munchak yanks a player's hair on the sideline? 10k.
Joey Porter goes on the field, picks a fight, and changes a playoff game's results? 10k.

Vontaze Burfict goes shoulder to helmet during a play and gets 3 games with no reduction.

Seems legit.

REP, this is what i was going for in my post. Exactly what you said, but I think Suh didn't even get suspended for a game... got reduced to a 70k fine Mellow
Reply/Quote
This pisses me off soooo bad. I really hope Mike Brown makes some public comments about this being a load of shit. We should boycott the London game or something just to spite the Goodell. Tell these double standard ***** to stick it up their ass.
Reply/Quote
It was upheld by the NFL. Complete garbage if you ask me as there is no precedent for a suspension like that. That said, we all know Goodell has no clue about the whys or how longs about his suspensions, so I'm not too surprised. We'll be labeled the thugs next year and personal foul calls will come easy. Just get ready for it now.
Reply/Quote
VB, Marvin and Mike Brown need to sue the NFL like Brady did for unfair and inconsistent penalties. Taking a lot of $ out of VB's pocket and putting the Bengals season at risk and pissing a lot of Bengals fans off. Would make the offseason a little more interesting for us football junkies.

I would think an impartial judge could very easily look at other offenses and the judgement/suspensions passed down and see this isn't fair or consistent.
Reply/Quote
Sadly I don't think MB will do anything Sad It would be nice for him to be like Kraft for once and call out Goodell. People would just say we were whiners tho. It doesn't matter, the rest of the NFL fanbases would laugh at us for even thinking we weren't the dirtiest team in the NFL
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 04:08 PM)CJ2etc Wrote: VB, Marvin and Mike Brown need to sue the NFL like Brady did for unfair and inconsistent penalties.  Taking a lot of $ out of VB's pocket and putting the Bengals season at risk and pissing a lot of Bengals fans off.  Would make the offseason a little more interesting for us football junkies.

I would think an impartial judge could very easily look at other offenses and the judgement/suspensions passed down and see this isn't fair or consistent.

Good point. We already get screwed by the NFL. Making them our enemy even more wont change that and make it any worse. 

Please Mike Brown sue over this shit. 

Now a LB aint even allowed to run full speed to try to cover a pass because if it doesnt get caught and the WR falls in front of the defender and gets contacted they get a 3 game suspension... WTF. 

How many head shots has Mike Mitchell dealt out the last few years? A helluva lot more than Burfict.

Im ***** heated. Wasnt planning on drinking today...
Reply/Quote
Is this the end of it or can he fight it through the union? Legal system perhaps? Goodell sometimes has difficulty sticking it to guys he suspends when there is no precedent.
Reply/Quote
Some background on that 'repeat offender' language the league used and what it meant in this case. Stay tuned to us locally - the nationals will move on. We'll have some good stuff coming later today to put this in context, find out what went down, etc.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
The league lacks credibility with these suspensions and such. It's why Goodell has taken so much heat the last couple years. Not surprised. If Burfict isn't a Bengal (or if it wasn't against the Steelers) it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Take them to court.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 04:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: The league lacks credibility with these suspensions and such. It's why Goodell has taken so much heat the last couple years. Not surprised. If Burfict isn't a Bengal (or if it wasn't against the Steelers) it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

The league covers their own butts and spins things their way at the expense of justice.  That's just who they are.  Heck they fine players significant money ($10,000 ?) for giving fans the ball they scored with - a terrific publicity maneuver.   And as you point out Goodell has to compensate for his really poor decision-making over the last several years.  What better way than to stick it to everybody's bad boy.  I have very little respect for the league.  

And they clearly pick on whoever they think they can get away with picking on.  The Bengals are the whipping boy of the league.  No one likes them.  And Burfict is everyone's target - players, officials, fans and the league.   It's disgusting.

I will say that Burfict made his bed early in the league with the conspicuous dirty plays that are well documented.  And I'm guessing that there's a lot happening on the field we know nothing about - spitting being just one of the recent claims.

But the girlish hysteria by the Steelers and the officials makes me sick, when he is hardly the only guy making tough hits.  Props to James Harrison for sticking up for him.  He may be the only Steeler I respect anymore.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 04:07 PM)ZeGerman Wrote: It was upheld by the NFL. Complete garbage if you ask me as there is no precedent for a suspension like that. That said, we all know Goodell has no clue about the whys or how longs about his suspensions, so I'm not too surprised. We'll be labeled the thugs next year and personal foul calls will come easy. Just get ready for it now.

We didn't have to wait.   They called any and every possible approximation of a penalty on us and sat and watched teams - especially the Steelers - tee off on us with impunity.  It was all season long, but the calls against Nelson, Jones and Sean Williams were ridiculous considering what the Steelers were getting away with.

We need to continue to intimidate other teams next year but stay away from talking, spitting, whining to the officials (which you KNOW gets old) and play tough and clean.  We'll get our unwarranted calls, but it will eventually wash out.  Look at James Harrison.
Reply/Quote
Ben was suspended 4 games for raping women, I guess that isn't as bad as hitting a Steeler on the field.

"Listen Tez, we can't have you hitting Steeler players too hard ok?"

"Speaking of Steelers Roger, you suspended Ben one more game than me for raping two women?"

"Tez Tez Tez, lets not start picking on the Pittsburgh players verbally now.....besides Im sure she wanted it, but just didn't know"

SUSPENSION UPHELD!
Reply/Quote
I'm surprised they didn't double it for him arguing with them about it.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to having 2 divisional games out of the way by week 4 (at Pittsburgh week 1 and Pittsburgh in Cincinnati week 3).
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 06:53 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I'm surprised they didn't double it for him arguing with them about it.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to having 2 divisional games out of the way by week 4 (at Pittsburgh week 1 and Pittsburgh in Cincinnati week 3).

If this happens....
Reply/Quote
Roger Goddell is two things; inconsistent and a liar. There is no rhyme or reason to the length of the suspensions he hands out. The I didn't know act with the Ray Rice situation proves he is a liar. But, he is the owner's boy so it doesn't matter.
Reply/Quote