Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burfict signs 3 year extension!
(09-08-2017, 02:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I hate to shift gears from the OP, but it's related...

With only two days left before the start of the season and Burfict eating up most of the remaining cap space this year, does anyone see Eifert leaving in FA next year to a place like Cleveland that is hurting for a playmaker and has plenty of cap space to absorb a big contract if the Bengals don't exclusive tag him?

Over the last 3 years, Eifert has averaged playing in 7 games per season

He is averaging 5 Tds per season and 350 yards
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 02:33 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Over the last 3 years, Eifert has averaged playing in 7 games per season

Yes, those are facts.
Are you saying this to say he won't get or doesn't deserve top 5 TE money? Because while I may agree on doesn't, I can definitely see some team offering.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Signing Burfict frees the tag up so if they cant get Eifert to a long term deal then they have the option to tag him.

A lot will probly depend on if he can stay healthy this season
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 01:34 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: love it.  I'd pay him the full amount to end raplisbergers existence on oct 22nd at about 1:15.

Hey---ull yes son! LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 02:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Signing Burfict frees the tag up so if they cant get Eifert to a long term deal then they have the option to tag him.

I don't know, maybe they are taking the "let's wait and see how this year goes" approach with Eifert?  Obviously, a production based contract would work best for the team, but are Eifert and his agent willing to sign that sort of deal?  Just going off of the injury history, I would think that Eifert would be looking for guaranteed money.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 02:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yes, those are facts.
Are you saying this to say he won't get or doesn't deserve top 5 TE money? Because while I may agree on doesn't, I can definitely see some team offering.

Can we win a Super Bowl if 2 of our Top 5 players average 7 and 11 games played a year? Especially coming off of a 6.5 win season. Playoffs are far from a given.

The franchise tag for a TE is around $10 million...so that's an option.

We supposedly have about $13 million in cap space after the Burfict extension.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 03:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Can we win a Super Bowl if 2 of our Top 5 players average 7 and 11 games played a year? Especially coming off of a 6.5 win season. Playoffs are far from a given.

The franchise tag for a TE is around $10 million...so that's an option.

We supposedly have about $13 million in cap space after the Burfict extension.

From what others were saying, it's only about $5 million now. I haven't seen a source linked to confirm though
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Looks like his base got bumped to over 7million this year.

Based on the numbers, should still have over $10 million. However that is probably reserved for injuries (sarcasm)

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/9/8/16272504/details-contract-breakdown-vontaze-burfict-3-year-contract-extension-bengals
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 02:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Signing Burfict frees the tag up so if they cant get Eifert to a long term deal then they have the option to tag him.

Good reminder, yes it gives the FO more options for Eifert in 2018.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 02:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People act like Burfict was some little known prospect from a small school.

He was undrafted because he was undisciplined on the field. He was benched in college because of that. He also showed up to the combine really out of shape and ran a slow 40 yard time for a LB.

Before all of that, he was thought of as a 1st Round pick.

I think most know it that Burfict was a possible #1 late round or 2nd round pick. But who cares whether a player is a FA or a 6th round pick like A. Brown or Tom Brady as it does not matter in the end. I referenced Jordan Evans, you try and divert to Evans is a late round draft pick. I get late rounders have less success, but there are exceptions behind every rule. I think Evans will end up being a very good 3 down LB who happened to be drafted in round 6.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 03:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know, maybe they are taking the "let's wait and see how this year goes" approach with Eifert?  Obviously, a production based contract would work best for the team, but are Eifert and his agent willing to sign that sort of deal?  Just going off of the injury history, I would think that Eifert would be looking for guaranteed money.

That's what I'm saying we will wait and See this year... Then if we want to extend next before next season we can try and do that if negotitations fail at that point they can slap the tag on him if they feel he is worth the amount.

We know what he can do when hes healthy.    Hopefully hes just been unlucky till now and lucks about the turn the corner.

(basically we don't have 2 Tag worthy players to worry about next season which makes using the tag easier if we need to)
Reply/Quote
Actually it means his cap hit this year is in the 10 million area between salary and prorated signing bonus.
Reply/Quote
@jason - When's the last game he missed with a head or neck injury? 
The entire end of last season.

@murdock2420 - Pretty sure that while he is suspended he isn't collecting a paycheck. That's why they always talk about how much money he loses while he is suspended. 

This is correct.

@Yojimbo - It's about having a back-up on the field too much.

This is a fair concern. He’s missed a LOT of time due to injury and suspension since his Pro Bowl campaign. Which was a long time ago in football years.

@leonardfan40 - I'd love to get Eifert locked up soon too

Best case scenario is Eifert turns in a Pro Bowl level performance with 13 or so games played, and they franchise tag him. If he plays 6-8 games…all bets might be off heading into the spring.

@Whodey365 -  I'd almost guarantee Mike Brown has some sort of protection in the deal regarding suspensions.

Yup. Per game roster bonuses. It’s a true “you play, you get paid” contract – moreso than what most of the NFL already is in that regard.

@ThePistons - Also, I think this extension makes it more likely that Marvin returns as coach.

I don’t think one has anything to do with the other, to be honest. The front office likes 55 well enough on their own.

@Crazyjdawg - I believe that makes Burfict the highest paid non-pass rushing LB in the NFL.

Yes. And no. Basically, if you take the total value divided by three years – then yes. But that’s not how it’s going to be actually divvied up…so no. Agents and players prefer the former number, teams prefer the latter. Works for both.

@TheCapedCrusader - but I guarantee other teams would definitely OVER pay Burfict to have them on their team

Nah. I surveyed about a half dozen people who would know back in July and this is about the most they could have expected Burfict to get paid…and many of them wouldn’t even bother. It’s possible the Bengals “bid against themselves” here but even if other teams were willing to take the risk in signing him – it would be for about this dollar amount (i.e. not overpaid).

@BonnieBengal - That last hit did not warrant a five game suspension or a three game suspension. They are trying to punish him for the past.

This is true. He was cited for continuing to violate the league’s safety rules as a repeat offender. That’s what happens when you repeatedly offend.

@TheLeonardLeap - I don't care for this deal because I can't believe any other team was going to offer him anything close to this. 

That may be true .. but with the per game roster bonuses…it means he HAS to play to get any of it. So it’s not a bad outlay.

@ThePistons - I just question if a defense can be built around a LB that averages playing 11 games a year due to concussions, suspensions, and knee issues.

Fair. I would think the Bengals would say their D is “built around” 97, however.

@ochocincos - does anyone see Eifert leaving in FA next year to a place like Cleveland that is hurting for a playmaker and has plenty of cap space to absorb a big contract if the Bengals don't exclusive tag him?

@SunsetBengal - maybe they are taking the "let's wait and see how this year goes" approach with Eifert? 

No, Ochocincos. If he turns in 12-14 games played at a Pro Bowl level, he’s tagged. If he only plays 8 games again…do you really want him signed for four more years? At that point, the Bengals might allow him to test the waters.

Yes, Sunset Bengal.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
You da man Jim. Thanks!
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 02:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Doesn't impact? Absolutely.

But he's still better; as we're talking about history, Ken Riley didn't impact a game as much as a Jim LeClair or Reggie Williams.

But he was better. MUCH better.

Consistently better, yes. Because he's there much more. I'll give him that. ThumbsUp

Would you feel the same way if Burfict didn't have the history of missed games and stupid penalties that he does? I understand that's a big if. Just wondering.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 02:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I hate to shift gears from the OP, but it's related...

With only two days left before the start of the season and Burfict eating up most of the remaining cap space this year, does anyone see Eifert leaving in FA next year to a place like Cleveland that is hurting for a playmaker and has plenty of cap space to absorb a big contract if the Bengals don't exclusive tag him?

If he stays healthy, the Bengals will attempt to sign him or they'll FT him. I don't think his production will be in question if healthy.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 02:33 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Over the last 3 years, Eifert has averaged playing in 7 games per season

And this is a perfect example of a silly way to use averages. 

Games missed due to injury and production are two different things. 

You could certainly use availability when discussing a contract, but Eifert is a proven producer when healthy.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 08:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If he stays healthy, the Bengals will attempt to sign him or they'll FT him. I don't think his production will be in question if healthy.
Not really what I was getting at. I was more thinking on when Eifert actually signs a new contract, not a tag. My worry is when the tag isn't in discussion, could there be a scenario like Zeitler or Whitworth where it seems like a team is overpaying, but that team might not be the Bengals. Call me Pessimistic Patty, but I just don't have a strong feeling Eifert would be retained without the tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 11:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not really what I was getting at. I was more thinking on when Eifert actually signs a new contract, not a tag. My worry is when the tag isn't in discussion, could there be a scenario like Zeitler or Whitworth where it seems like a team is overpaying, but that team might not be the Bengals. Call me Pessimistic Patty, but I just don't have a strong feeling Eifert would be retained without the tag.

Sure, he could get away if contract negotiations don't work out and the Bengals decide not to tag him. 

It all hinges on whether the Bengals are willing to tag and how long. 

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 06:00 PM)jowczarski Wrote: No, Ochocincos. If he turns in 12-14 games played at a Pro Bowl level, he’s tagged. If he only plays 8 games again…do you really want him signed for four more years? At that point, the Bengals might allow him to test the waters.

Thanks, Jim. What's your confidence level the Bengals would be able and willing to win a bidding war for Eifert assuming tag isn't in discussion and he's shown better durability and continued good performance? My concern is that they would lose out in such a scenario based on past scenarios with Marvin Jones, Whitworth, and some other strong players they thought they'd be able to keep.

I can see them using tag for 2018 if he produces but likely wouldn't use a second tag for 2019.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote