Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burkhead
I know the coaches know these players in and out but, outside of what they are paying him, I just can't understand why Burkhead doesn't get more snaps than he does?

Seems to me, everytime he carried the ball he did night and day better than Hill. It's been that way now since Gio has been out.

Am I missing something about him? Is it just a fluke that he does so well?
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 07:10 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I know the coaches know these players in and out but, outside of what they are paying him, I just can't understand why Burkhead doesn't get more snaps than he does?

Seems to me, everytime he carried the ball he did night and day better than Hill.  It's been that way now since Gio has been out.

Am I missing something about him?  Is it just a fluke that he does so well?

I'd say he didn't do himself favors with the fumble. But i'd love to give him more touches, 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
i think he's better than Hill.
Reply/Quote
Facts:

The oline sucks, but looked better today without Ogbeuhi.

Hill has struggled behind said horrendous oline and still struggled today.

Hill has been battling injuries all season long which may be a big reason why he is struggling.

Hill has lost his vision. He had great vision and a good ability to break tackles his rookie year (see games against Jacksonville and Denver) but has clearly lost it now. He needs to get it back next season but I'm not sure he can.

Burkhead has great vision. He sees the hole, hits it hard without hesitation, and can make defenders miss.
Reply/Quote
Gio and Hill are pretty good players.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The backup player always has fresh legs. They don't go through the pounding on a week to week basis, the same as the starters do. Did you all also notice that as the game went on, Burkhead lost some of his sizzle?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Rex also had more carries in passing situations, loosening up the run defense.

He's a good player though, and it stinks that he will move on for a prominent role (and more money than we can offer the 3rd RB) this offseason.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 07:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The backup player always has fresh legs. They don't go through the pounding on a week to week basis, the same as the starters do. Did you all also notice that as the game went on, Burkhead lost some of his sizzle?
Yep. But he does seem to make things happen the first few times he touches the ball. Even with Gio healthy, i don't understand what he doesn't play more snaps. Not a lot more, just more.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 07:39 PM)jason Wrote: Yep. But he does seem to make things happen the first few times he touches the ball. Even with Gio healthy, i don't understand what he doesn't play more snaps. Not a lot more, just more.

Right, they should use him more.  He is a great change-of-pace back.  Heck, even at that, he would have been in better condition to split time, with Gio now out.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 07:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The backup player always has fresh legs.  They don't go through the pounding on a week to week basis, the same as the starters do.  Did you all also notice that as the game went on, Burkhead lost some of his sizzle?

No. Not at all.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 07:48 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: No. Not at all.

Should have watched more of the game..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Rex looked like the best RB on the field today.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 07:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The backup player always has fresh legs.  They don't go through the pounding on a week to week basis, the same as the starters do.  Did you all also notice that as the game went on, Burkhead lost some of his sizzle?

No.  I thought he looked good the whole game except for the fumble.  Hill may be injured but I thought Burkhead looked like the better back wether he was running laterally or straight up the middle.  I would hate to lose this guy.
Reply/Quote
Hill is dancing to much now. Burkhead hits the hole if he's lucky to get one and makes something out of it.
Our o-line is terrible though, not good for Hill's type of running.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2016, 08:06 PM)3wt Wrote: No.  I thought he looked good the whole game except for the fumble.  Hill may be injured but I thought Burkhead looked like the better back wether he was running laterally or straight up the middle.  I would hate to lose this guy.

He had 8 rushes, for 38 yds., with one of them being for 17yds.  Not like he set the world on fire.

He did a nice job, nothing special. I'm not trying to dog on the guy, I like him. All I'm saying is don't get caught up in the fresh legs of a backup player, as sometimes it is really just an optical delusion.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
1. Rex got 12 touches today, which is around what Gio averaged. So I don't think he was underused today.

2. That said, I wouldn't mind closer to an even split going forward...if Rex can hang on to the rock.

3. I agree with Sunset for the most part. Rex has fresh legs (and eyes) right now. I doubt he could sustain his success with an increased load and the run blocking we've seen this year. It couldn't hurt to look though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I actually like Rex better then gio. But it just seems to me that there is just not any holes when hill carries it. Plus he's not that hard to bring down. He's big with good speed, he has a jump cut and a stiff arm that's it. But he's better with a blocker, not out of shot gun. I still like him. I like him even better then gio. I think gio is the one who's regressed every year. Gio doesn't break big runs, and always gets caught. Only good for a dump off pass. I'd be for drafting another back, but better make sure he's a upgrade.
Reply/Quote
Rex gets a lot of love because he is white.

He had a decent game today, but it cracks me up when people talk about how great he looks every time he gets a chance. He came into this season averaging 2.4 yards per carry and 8.4 yards per catch, yet people were constantly swooning over his "playmaking ability".
Reply/Quote
I hate to pass judgment on any RB playing behind this O-line.

Having said that, and I've been a Hill supporter, I'm beginning to believe there's more to Hill's lack of production than just a bad O-line.

Like others have said he dances to much, seems to indecisive and afraid to commit. Seems to not be able to see the lanes developing and lacks good "RB vision"

I'd love to see Burkhead get some more touches over the final games.
Reply/Quote
Maybe Rex is just what the doctor ordered for this team. I say Rex needs more touches, but if Hill isn't performing, we need to get Ced some hard touches as well. Ced should have the freshest legs/vision/intensity of all of them, unless his age is a factor...but I don't think it is.

Ced had time to reflect, Hill is playing hurt, his chest is probably still an issue which would cause a bunch of problems. Breathing namely one, dude looks worn out after a 17+ yard carry/reception. Save Hill up, put in Ced and B-Head..just my thoughts.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote