Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burleson predicts Zac will be Coach of the Year
(09-11-2020, 07:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: Lofty expectations to say the least, but..... wasn't Jimmy Johnson 1-15 his first year in Big D? Didn't Sam Wyche stumble out of the gate here in Cincy?

There were a couple of things I caught last season in the middle of the dumpster fire that I liked. First and foremost, the team never did quit on him...even when the season was a total loss. Remember Miami? I saw a lot of aggression early on, that really seemed to fall apart due to personnel not really fitting the schemes. I saw some plays that would have been awesome, but inadequate protection made them blow up in our faces. They fixed the run game.

We all saw the negatives, and it got rather vanilla, for obvious reasons.

If Jonah is the real deal, if guys like Jordan continue to improve, Hopkins keeps up solid play, and Hart can just stay out of his own way, this offense can make some real noise if Burrow is who we think he is. The defense is the most intriguing. They threw out A LOT of coin to fix it, to get players that can play in Lou's hybrid system. If that pans out, you may just be looking at one helluva turnaround. 

Ah the optimism of game 1.

Sure love the optimism, it is definitely possible.

Sucks not to have Geno the first game but getting Mike Daniels makes it much less of a blow, great pick up.

Just love how the FO and coaches handled this Offseason.

Should be fun, unlike last year after the first game.

(09-11-2020, 10:38 PM)jason Wrote: Your last sentence reminds me of the 3rd quarter of last year's opener... I remember thinking "Damn... Marvin Lewis really was holding John Ross back.", and "Wow... This is fun again.".

Very short lived... But last year's gone. New team. New leaf. I truly don't expect a huge turnaround that will be netting coach of the year awards, but I expect competitive games, and somewhere around .500 by years end. If not I expect heads to roll... I'd be thrilled with the big turnaround though.

Feel the same.

(09-12-2020, 08:00 AM)Wyche Wrote: These are my legit expectations as well. But....if the stars align, and our last two 1st rounders are who they are advertised to be, I think a 9-10 win season isn't out of the realm of possibility.  If our HUGE FA haul pans out....ya never know. At least the FO REALLY went all in this year. Up to the coaches now.

Taylor and the coaches have their players now and not Marv's and company. Now we can judge them fairly IMO.

Hard to judge a coach in his first year with players centered around another coach's scheme.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 03:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure love the optimism, it is definitely possible.

Sucks not to have Geno the first game but getting Mike Daniels makes it much less of a blow, great pick up.

Just love how the FO and coaches handled this Offseason.

Should be fun, unlike last year after the first game.

Feel the same.

Taylor and the coaches have their players now and not Marv's and company. Now we can judge them fairly IMO.

Hard to judge a coach in his first year with players centered around another coach's scheme.

Yeah, if they can't muster at least 6-8 wins, it's time to make some changes to the staff.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 05:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, if they can't muster at least 6-8 wins, it's time to make some changes to the staff.

Very true. As much as we continue to have great things looking forward, we can't let this team get stagnate like the Marvin years. Not saying Zac should be let go (plus, that would be an improvement in MB's eyes) but other changes should definitely be made. For those predicting 5 wins or less, that's embarrassing. If we did that and the Bengals didn't make changes? That's even more embarrassing. I think our FO has improved a lot so I hope that wont be the case.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 05:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, if they can't muster at least 6-8 wins, it's time to make some changes to the staff.

Agreed.

(09-12-2020, 05:45 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Very true. As much as we continue to have great things looking forward, we can't let this team get stagnate like the Marvin years. Not saying Zac should be let go (plus, that would be an improvement in MB's eyes) but other changes should definitely be made. For those predicting 5 wins or less, that's embarrassing. If we did that and the Bengals didn't make changes? That's even more embarrassing. I think our FO has improved a lot so I hope that wont be the case.

We made too many great moves and just added the best QB to ever come out of college I think for us to look embarrassing IMO.

I think we win 8-12 games this year if we stay healthy and the coaches don't just totally suck at coaching...
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 05:45 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Very true. As much as we continue to have great things looking forward, we can't let this team get stagnate like the Marvin years. Not saying Zac should be let go (plus, that would be an improvement in MB's eyes) but other changes should definitely be made. For those predicting 5 wins or less, that's embarrassing. If we did that and the Bengals didn't make changes? That's even more embarrassing. I think our FO has improved a lot so I hope that wont be the case.

Yes, the heat is on for the coaches to produce now. The FO did its part.... FINALLY!!!! They had a great draft. The 1st rounder from last year is back. AJ Green will play. You got the number one QB. You have been given the keys as a staff, you better be able to drive the sumbitch.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 05:52 PM)Wyche Wrote:  You have been given the keys as a staff, you better be able to drive the sumbitch.

LOL

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 05:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, the heat is on for the coaches to produce now. The FO did its part.... FINALLY!!!! They had a great draft. The 1st rounder from last year is back. AJ Green will play. You got the number one QB. You have been given the keys as a staff, you better be able to drive the sumbitch.

Amen.
Reply/Quote
By next season Burrow will just take over as head coach.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2020, 10:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: By next season Burrow will just take over as head coach.

So he's like the modern football version of Bill Russel?  If he ends up with 11 rings I'll be satisfied.
Reply/Quote