Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clark Harris-extended absence
(09-12-2022, 05:28 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Tell Cal to head to the sidelines after the punt is off as far as I’m concerned

Snap the ball, drop to the ground, wait for the whistle, stay on the ground a little longer, get up and carefully walk to the sidelines.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 04:01 PM)pally Wrote: You can't have muscle memory without the muscle.  Adrenaline can overcome a lot, but we're not talking about overcoming pain here. Without an intact muscle, he would be lucky if he could even grasp the ball let alone throw it back over twenty feet with velocity and aim  Additionally, without the use of his arm, he would have been risking even more serious injury because of the inability to block.  

Yeah I’m probably wrong on this and I’m not disputing that. Know of two people in human situations who have done absolutely extraordinary human feats from pure adrenaline that their body’s are physically incapable of. But those were extreme and I’m guessing a long snap probably wouldn’t have been same for Clark. I’ll back down on this argument
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 05:18 PM)pally Wrote:

Thank you. That clarified when he got hurt. Sure got down the field pretty fast to get a hand on the returner. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 06:19 PM)Nepa Wrote: Thank you. That clarified when he got hurt. Sure got down the field pretty fast to get a hand on the returner. 

Getting downfield is part of the job of the long snapper...another reason an over 300lb regular center doesn't long snap

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 06:27 PM)pally Wrote: Getting downfield is part of the job of the long snapper...another reason an over 300lb regular center doesn't long snap

Good point. I did see a number of tackles on Adomitis resume and I guess that is where it comes in, the punt coverage. I first wondered if he sometimes placed defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:49 PM)gman657 Wrote: I’m not 100% disagreeing but adrenaline and things come in to play. You have muscle memory from an action you have done 1000s of times so velocity could have been there . I’m probably being harsh. But I can’t help feeling he would have snapped it better despite the injury. I’m probably wrong which I often am. Can’t help feeling he had one in him.

LOL, I had this injury, my bicep went straight up to my shoulder.  I couldnt carry my car keys in that hand.  This is a very painful injury, the arm is totally useless after the tendo snaps.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 06:30 PM)Nepa Wrote: Good point. I did see a number of tackles on Adomitis resume and I guess that is where it comes in, the punt coverage. I first wondered if he sometimes placed defense.

I'd be ok if Adomitis has zero tackles... stay back with Money Mac in safety mode.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 03:34 PM)pally Wrote: He has a torn bicep in his dominant arm. With that injury your shoulder loses strength and you can't rotate your arm.  There is NO way for him to snap a ball with any velocity or aim with that injury.  

You can still flex, supinate, and pronate due to the brachioradialis, but there is about 30% less strength after the injury is healed. Although the pain from an acute injury would affect that.

Almost all distal biceps tendon ruptures are repaired surgically. Proximal bicep ruptures may not be surgically repaired dependent upon patient age, occupation, activity level, etc. Joe Average is probably not going to get surgery. I knew a guy in the Army who tore his due to a static line injury. They didn’t repair it and he was able to continue as an infantryman.

Getting a second opinion suggests (to me, at least) a proximal tear rather than the more serious distal tear.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:49 PM)Nepa Wrote: Yeah, although Adomitis actually worked out a lot in preseason, including in games, and seemed to be doing fine.

Also, he was an first-team All-American as a long-snapper in 2021, the only long snapper so recognized as a first-team All-American ever, I believe.   And he won an award as the best long snapper in the nation last year.  

Stroke of genius for the Bengals to have added him as a free-agent. Because now he already has experience and so should be seamless.

All true. Sad for Clark as he has been our best LS ever and probably won't get that record but Cal could be even better 
than Clark someday and that is a pretty crazy statement. Clark has the Guiness book of world records record for the longest
snap I believe and he is also a great tackler and can even be a gunner at times after he snaps the ball.

Crazy thing is Cal can also do these things very well.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 05:18 PM)pally Wrote:

That’s definitely when it happened. He was trying to flex his elbow as the returner forced his arm in the opposite direction. The weight and speed of two NFL players heading in opposite direction is more than a biceps tendon can take when placed in a position putting it at risk for injury.

I believe there is usually some degeneration before the tear like is seen with Achilles ruptures.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:00 PM)casear2727 Wrote: LOL, I had this injury, my bicep went straight up to my shoulder.  I couldnt carry my car keys in that hand.  This is a very painful injury, the arm is totally useless after the tendo snaps.

Sounds like you had a distal tear, at the elbow. Bicep retracts up to the shoulder like a window shade. Proximal tears usually cause the “Popeye” muscle.

https://www.cmaj.ca/content/194/10/E386
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 02:55 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That’s definitely when it happened. He was trying to flex his elbow as the returner forced his arm in the opposite direction. The weight and speed of two NFL players heading in opposite direction is more than a biceps tendon can take when placed in a position putting it at risk for injury.

I believe there is usually some degeneration before the tear like is seen with Achilles ruptures.

(09-14-2022, 03:00 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Sounds like you had a distal tear, at the elbow. Bicep retracts up to the shoulder like a window shade.  Proximal tears usually cause the “Popeye” muscle.

About makes me want to puke lol
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 03:00 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Sounds like you had a distal tear, at the elbow. Bicep retracts up to the shoulder like a window shade.  Proximal tears usually cause the “Popeye” muscle.

I've actually had both - distal tear that required surgery in my left arm, a year later a proximal tear in my right that the VA wouldnt do surgery on.  Distal is way more excruciating but both are painful.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 04:00 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I've actually had both - distal tear that required surgery in my left arm, a year later a proximal tear in my right that the VA wouldnt do surgery on.  Distal is way more excruciating but both are painful.

Sorry to hear that.

That’s why they say getting old ain’t for sissies. But, they don’t use “sissies.”
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 04:11 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Sorry to hear that.

That’s why they say getting old ain’t for sissies. But, they don’t use “sissies.”

Wussies? *******? Weak, soft or timid persons? Men viewed as being overly interested in things traditionally associated with women?

EDIT: Really? Pansy is censored? So if I wanted to talk about flowers, I can't do it on the Bengals Message Board? Pathetic. Mellow
EDIT2: Okay so a singular pansy is okay but I can't talk about multiple *******? Disappointing. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 04:46 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Wussies? *******? Weak, soft or timid persons? Men viewed as being overly interested in things traditionally associated with women?

EDIT: Really? Pansy is censored? So if I wanted to talk about flowers, I can't do it on the Bengals Message Board? Pathetic. Mellow
EDIT2: Okay so a singular pansy is okay but I can't talk about multiple *******? Disappointing. Mellow

Don’t be a pansy about it. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2022, 05:57 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Don’t be a pansy about it. Ninja

[Image: why-i-outta.gif]

LOL
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote