Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Burrow, Higgins, & Chase's Deals
Unsubstantiated rumor season started a week too early because of the Oline.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 12:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: That's a good point.  If we replace Boyd and Mixon with some more cost-effective players it could all work.

And that’s exactly what’s going to happen.

TB and Mixon have been great for this team. But, cheaper and probably better can be had in the draft.

There is no “better and cheaper” in the draft to replace Higgins.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 01:53 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Unsubstantiated rumor season started a week too early because of the Oline.

True, but it sure beats those days when week 4 was earmarked for draft and uniform discussions.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 01:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True, but it sure beats those days when week 4 was earmarked for draft and uniform discussions.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled that we held out this long before the 'insider knowledge' came rolling in, but man it would have been nice to see it hold out for 1 more week.
Reply/Quote
Boomer is reporting the Bengals and Burrow are talking a 8 year 408m which is 51m per. Which could be the exact same deal Andrre Perrotta put out there a week ago.

Edit: Also that would make Burrow the highest paid player in NFL history... until someone way overpays for Lamar Jackson to get a QB. But that whole taking a deal to keep his receivers in Cincy... yea that's a fantasy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 12:34 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with you top 3, but you are ignoring our 3rd best receiver Boyd who could be a cap casualty. We trade or cut him, we save 8.8million in cap money.

Tyler Boyd
WR
$8,450,000
$1,400,000
$235,280
-
$200,000
-
-
($1,400,000)
$10,285,280

Cap Hit

And that's literally it. You're only saving the money this year and this year alone, and cutting a productive player to do it. You cut a player if they're not productive or if their contract would get in the way of you fielding a team. Neither of those apply to Boyd in his contract year.

Boyd's current contract has no bearing on Tee's extension status because his current contract is only this year, and this year there isn't any cap crunch. People might reply with the largely-a-myth frontloaded cap contract, but even then we're talking $8.8m vs the $100m over 4 years you'd be adding with Tee. Even if you did theoretically frontload that $8.8m savings on a Tee extension, you're still talking $23m/yr of added costs if you want to look at it that way. Releasing Boyd doesn't move the needle and makes no sense.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 10:56 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: And that’s exactly what’s going to happen.

TB and Mixon have been great for this team. But, cheaper and probably better can be had in the draft.

There is no “better and cheaper” in the draft to replace Higgins.

"And that’s exactly what’s going to happen."  Really?  When have the Bengals cut any player without having their replacement ready to go?  I could see them restructuring Mixon, lowering the salary and adding incentives that bring the number back to the original amount. 

If we were moving Boyd it should have been last year when he was very valuable in a hot WR market.  Boyd is the final leftover and very doubtful to be cut to save money, this is his last contract season and his number would have zero effect on Burrow or Tee, and we don't have his replacement.

If we hear the Bengals are looking to make a surprising move with a Jawaan Taylor, then Mixon becomes more at risk.  

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 11:50 AM)Synric Wrote: Boomer is reporting the Bengals and Burrow are talking a 8 year 408m which is 51m per. Which could be the exact same deal Andrre Perrotta put out there a week ago.

Edit: Also that would make Burrow the highest paid player in NFL history... until someone way overpays for Lamar Jackson to get a QB. But that whole taking a deal to keep his receivers in Cincy... yea that's a fantasy.

Sounds way too close to Andre's prediction, is Boomer simply watching Jake and James?  

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 01:23 PM)casear2727 Wrote: "And that’s exactly what’s going to happen."  Really?  When have the Bengals cut any player without having their replacement ready to go?  I could see them restructuring Mixon, lowering the salary and adding incentives that bring the number back to the original amount. 

If we were moving Boyd it should have been last year when he was very valuable in a hot WR market.  Boyd is the final leftover and very doubtful to be cut to save money, this is his last contract season and his number would have zero effect on Burrow or Tee, and we don't have his replacement.

If we hear the Bengals are looking to make a surprising move with a Jawaan Taylor, then Mixon becomes more at risk.  

BJGE our starting RB was cut after drafting Hill.

Unless you mean cutting Mixon before the draft?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/11431868/rb-benjarvus-green-ellis-cut-cincinnati-bengals
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 03:54 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: BJGE our starting RB was cut after drafting Hill.

Unless you mean cutting Mixon before the draft?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/11431868/rb-benjarvus-green-ellis-cut-cincinnati-bengals

Absolutely, I am. If we draft a stud RB that is different as we have his replacement.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 10:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I will be truly shocked if Burrow agrees to be the 9th-11th highest paid QB and Tee agrees to be the 23rd paid WR in 2023. Follow that up with Chase being outside of the top-10 in 2024?

Sorry, sounds too fantastical to be true.

Yep definitely this.

I think Burrow will do the team 'a favour' with his contract. But when I say that, I mean that I think he'll help the team with cap flexibility. Not take middling QB money.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 11:50 AM)Synric Wrote: Boomer is reporting the Bengals and Burrow are talking a 8 year 408m which is 51m per. Which could be the exact same deal Andrre Perrotta put out there a week ago.

I'd be very disappointed. If Burrow becomes the highest paid player in NFL history, then Chase does it for the wide receivers, then the Bengals will have trouble putting together a complete team. I just wish to see someone say, "I'm going to take less, so as to not handicap the team and put winning first." I know that may just be me -- I have a doctorate but spent my entire life years working for nonprofits at low salaries without health care because I believe in what I am doing for others. If the Bengals are handicapped for years to pay a few players, then that helps only a few while many (fans, other players) pay the price. How much land does a man need?
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 04:14 PM)Nepa Wrote: I'd be very disappointed. If Burrow becomes the highest paid player in NFL history, then Chase does it for the wide receivers, then the Bengals will have trouble putting together a complete team. I just wish to see someone say, "I'm going to take less, so as to not handicap the team and put winning first." I know that may just be me -- I have a doctorate but spent my entire life years working for nonprofits at low salaries without health care because I believe in what I am doing for others. If the Bengals are handicapped for years to pay a few players, then that helps only a few while many (fans, other players) pay the price. How much land does a man need?

Mahomes is still the highest paid QB and yet he is has an extremely team friendly deal.  It's not the number it's the structure.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 04:14 PM)Nepa Wrote: I'd be very disappointed. If Burrow becomes the highest paid player in NFL history, then Chase does it for the wide receivers, then the Bengals will have trouble putting together a complete team. I just wish to see someone say, "I'm going to take less, so as to not handicap the team and put winning first." I know that may just be me -- I have a doctorate but spent my entire life years working for nonprofits at low salaries without health care because I believe in what I am doing for others. If the Bengals are handicapped for years to pay a few players, then that helps only a few while many (fans, other players) pay the price. How much land does a man need?

People talk about Mahomes' deal because it was so long which gave it lots of flexibility while lasting so long that the back end would eventually be well below market value, but he still became the highest paid player in NFL history when he signed his deal.

You're working for non-profit and take less salary because they are non-profit, but also you can work at your career for almost your entire life.

NFL players are working for 31 multi-billionaires and 1 multi-billion dollar trust in a for-profit business that is making huge sums of money off actively burning away the players body's ability to function, and being able to work for 10 years is already considered a very long career assuming fading ability or health don't make it end much sooner.

Congrats on doing good with your life, and thanks, but your situation isn't theirs. Never blame players for trying to get all the money they've earned in their very short careers. You can disagree with wanting to pay someone that amount, or laugh at unrealistic expectations, but never judge them for wanting to get paid for generating billions and billions of dollars in profit for people.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 04:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: People talk about Mahomes' deal because it was so long which gave it lots of flexibility while lasting so long that the back end would eventually be well below market value, but he still became the highest paid player in NFL history when he signed his deal.

You're working for non-profit and take less salary because they are non-profit, but also you can work at your career for almost your entire life.

NFL players are working for 31 multi-billionaires and 1 multi-billion dollar trust in a for-profit business that is making huge sums of money off actively burning away the players body's ability to function, and being able to work for 10 years is already considered a very long career assuming fading ability or health don't make it end much sooner.

Congrats on doing good with your life, and thanks, but your situation isn't theirs. Never blame players for trying to get all the money they've earned in their very short careers. You can disagree with wanting to pay someone that amount, or laugh at unrealistic expectations, but never judge them for wanting to get paid for generating billions and billions of dollars in profit for people.

Point well taken.
Reply/Quote

They can structure it so the cap hits are low for next 4-5 years. That’s the best we can hope for. Burrow deserves the bag. Pay the man.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2023, 04:33 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Mahomes is still the highest paid QB and yet he is has an extremely team friendly deal.  It's not the number it's the structure.

Do you know the details on how Mahomes contract is structured? Because he currently is the number 1 QB in the league (2 regular season MVPs, two Super Bowl wins, Super Bowl MVP) and yet the Chiefs still manage to have top talent, including 6 All Pros (the Bengals have zero). 
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 12:25 PM)Nepa Wrote: Do you know the details on how Mahomes contract is structured? Because he currently is the number 1 QB in the league (2 regular season MVPs, two Super Bowl wins, Super Bowl MVP) and yet the Chiefs still manage to have top talent, including 6 All Pros (the Bengals have zero). 

Yes, Pat got a 450M contract with rolling roster guarantees that do not require immediate escrow deposit and when they come due they are converted to signing bonuses and prorated over the max 5 years. 

This article breaks down this contract pretty well:
https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-report/kansas-city-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-contract-restructuring-breakdown

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 12:25 PM)Nepa Wrote: Do you know the details on how Mahomes contract is structured? Because he currently is the number 1 QB in the league (2 regular season MVPs, two Super Bowl wins, Super Bowl MVP) and yet the Chiefs still manage to have top talent, including 6 All Pros (the Bengals have zero). 

Outside of mahomes their all-pros are either on rookie deals or positions that don’t get premium dollar amounts.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 12:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Yes, Pat got a 450M contract with rolling roster guarantees that do not require immediate escrow deposit and when they come due they are converted to signing bonuses and prorated over the max 5 years. 

This article breaks down this contract pretty well:
https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-report/kansas-city-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-contract-restructuring-breakdown

Thank you. Amazing title of the article, "Patrick Mahomes' Contract Structure is a Blessing for the Chiefs, Curse for the Rest of the NFL"
Reply/Quote