Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Burrow, Higgins, & Chase's Deals
IF we had a good to great o-line, RB is plug-and-play.

That said, Mixon had a lot of bad games this year. So it's not like he overcame poor line play.
Reply/Quote
Burrow may as well take all he can, the NFL is going to make sure the Bills or Chiefs win the SB anyways.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 10:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Absolutely no way Chase takes something that low. And nor should he.

People really need to start being a little more realistic with this contract stuff.

Almost a half BILLION dollars for 3 people?   That's not enough?   smh.

Pro sports in general.  Not picking on the Bengals, NFL or any particular player.  
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 04:19 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Almost a half BILLION dollars for 3 people?   That's not enough?   smh.

Pro sports in general.  Not picking on the Bengals, NFL or any particular player.  

Hey now, if you want to rag on capitalism take it to the P&R forum, pal! Ninja

Fun side note, I follow the CFL and this year my team, the Stampeders, moved on to a new QB and they made it clear they're all in on him by signing him to a deal that could max out at $485k in the 2023 season.  That's quite a lot of beaver bucks there, buddy!
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 05:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hey now, if you want to rag on capitalism take it to the P&R forum, pal! Ninja

Fun side note, I follow the CFL and this year my team, the Stampeders, moved on to a new QB and they made it clear they're all in on him by signing him to a deal that could max out at $485k in the 2023 season.  That's quite a lot of beaver bucks there, buddy!
I thought you were bombers fan? 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Does anyone really believe that Burrow won't sign a relatively team friendly deal. Like Mahomes did?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 06:06 PM)J24 Wrote: I thought you were bombers fan? 

I most certainly am not.  I'm a Stampeders fan, but in true Nately120 fashion I'm going to pull for Bo Levi Mitchell and the Ti Cats to win the east, too.

(02-13-2023, 06:07 PM)J24 Wrote: Does anyone really believe that Burrow won't sign a relatively team friendly deal. Like Mahomes did?

He might not if he's as convinced the NFL is rigged against him as we are.  Eep!
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 04:19 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Almost a half BILLION dollars for 3 people?   That's not enough?   smh.

If things go well it should be 500M for Burrow by himself.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 06:07 PM)J24 Wrote: Does anyone really believe that Burrow won't sign a relatively team friendly deal. Like Mahomes did?

Mahomes' relatively team friendly deal still made him the highest paid QB in the league when he signed it. He was still the highest paid QB in the NFL the year after he signed it, too. By almost $2m/yr. The year he signed it, he was making $6m/yr more than anyone else in the NFL, and $10m/yr more than the 3rd highest player.

So that would still put Burrow north of $50m/yr. Or potentially well north of $50m/yr.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 06:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I most certainly am not.  I'm a Stampeders fan, but in true Nately120 fashion I'm going to pull for Bo Levi Mitchell and the Ti Cats to win the east, too.

He might not if he's as convinced the NFL is rigged against him as we are.  Eep!

Argos or die.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 10:38 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Argos or die.

I'm glad they won the grey cup instead of the Blue Bombers winning 3 in a row. Jim Kelly's weirdo nephew coming off the bench to seal the win was amusing, too. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 10:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm glad they won the grey cup instead of the Blue Bombers winning 3 in a row. Jim Kelly's weirdo nephew coming off the bench to seal the win was amusing, too. 

More happy that Oakman won a title.

Sure, it isn't the NFL, but it's the highest league otherwise.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 04:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: More happy that Oakman won a title.

Sure, it isn't the NFL, but it's the highest league otherwise.

Any time people complain about the NFL and the high salaries and Goddell and it being rigged I point out there is the CFL if they're so upset.
Reply/Quote
Honest question about contract extensions.  

If a player is extended, does the extension generally begin the year it's signed?

Example:  Burrow signs for 50 mil per tomorrow.  Is 50 mil his annual salary in 2023 or does he remain on his rookie rate until the extension kicks in?  

I always assumed the team tore up the current deal and immediately started paying at the rate agreed up in the extension.  

Am I wrong?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 07:21 PM)samhain Wrote: Honest question about contract extensions.  

If a player is extended, does the extension generally begin the year it's signed?

Example:  Burrow signs for 50 mil per tomorrow.  Is 50 mil his annual salary in 2023 or does he remain on his rookie rate until the extension kicks in?  

I always assumed the team tore up the current deal and immediately started paying at the rate agreed up in the extension.  

Am I wrong?

The extension kicks in after the original contract ends. So, if Burrow signs a $50MM extension today, that extension doesn't kick in until 2025, assuming Cincinnati picks up Burrow's 5th year option (lol).
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 07:37 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The extension kicks in after the original contract ends. So, if Burrow signs a $50MM extension today, that extension doesn't kick in until 2025, assuming Cincinnati picks up Burrow's 5th year option (lol).

Thanks.  

So in reality, they really do have 44 mil to spend, to some extent.  They just can't spend it on players that they lock up long term to eat a big chunk of cap.

But, some of that cap could go to a big signing bonus for Joe, I assume.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 07:48 PM)samhain Wrote: Thanks.  

So in reality, they really do have 44 mil to spend, to some extent.  They just can't spend it on players that they lock up long term to eat a big chunk of cap.

But, some of that cap could go to a big signing bonus for Joe, I assume.

The only cap hit this year to any player we extend would be the 1st prorated signing bonus payment.  The player receives ALL of the cash upfront.

For Joe it would be the signing bonus divided by 5.  If Joe gets a 25M signing bonus, his cap hit this year only increases 5M.

For any other player (Tee or Logan)  it would be the signing bonus divided by 4 (assuming these are 4 yr extensions).  If Tee gets a 20M signing bonus his cap hit increases 5M as well.  There is the option to a void year which would lower the 5M to 4M, but we do not like those.

There are other assumptions here:
5 years is the max amount of time a bonus can be prorated, but the team can adjust and pay it earlier.  I went 5 with Joe as his contract will hopefully exceed 5 years and 4 for Logan and Tee as 4 years about the longest we go on non-QBs and players not named Chase.  

We could spread Tee's proration to a 5th year even if he is not on the team if he left after the 4th year.  We would have 5M in dead cap that year.

Hope this helps.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 08:07 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The only cap hit this year to any player we extend would be the 1st prorated signing bonus payment.  The player receives ALL of the cash upfront.

For Joe it would be the signing bonus divided by 5.  If Joe gets a 25M signing bonus, his cap hit this year only increases 5M.

For any other player (Tee or Logan)  it would be the signing bonus divided by 4 (assuming these are 4 yr extensions).  If Tee gets a 20M signing bonus his cap hit increases 5M as well.  There is the option to a void year which would lower the 5M to 4M, but we do not like those.

There are other assumptions here:
5 years is the max amount of time a bonus can be prorated, but the team can adjust and pay it earlier.  I went 5 with Joe as his contract will hopefully exceed 5 years and 4 for Logan and Tee as 4 years about the longest we go on non-QBs and players not named Chase.  

We could spread Tee's proration to a 5th year even if he is not on the team if he left after the 4th year.  We would have 5M in dead cap that year.

Hope this helps.
It does.  

It sounds like they could actually bring in an impact free agent if they wanted to.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 08:59 PM)samhain Wrote: It does.  

It sounds like they could actually bring in an impact free agent if they wanted to.

They could, I dont expect it.  I would guess something along the lines in how they handled the oline last year;

We could have gotten Armstead, but we got Karras, Cappa and La'el for the same amount.

If had to bet money, I'd say depth in the secondary, depth TE, depth guard.  Nothing too exciting.  This allows them more freedom in the draft, except the #1 pick which must be Wright out of Tennessee!

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 10:21 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If had to bet money, I'd say depth in the secondary, depth TE, depth guard.  Nothing too exciting.  This allows them more freedom in the draft, except the #1 pick which must be Wright out of Tennessee!

Walter Football's mock draft has us taking TE Michael Mayer with the #28 pick.  I can already hear the Halloween theme being played over the loudspeaker every time he catches the ball.
Reply/Quote