Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
That Last Play To End The Game
(12-04-2022, 11:22 PM)Nepa Wrote: But life, and football, doesn't work that way. You don't know what would have happened had the Bengals taken the 3 points at the end of the first half. To say they would have won by 9 assumes things are predestined to go the same way the rest of the game. But maybe the Chiefs with time on the clock at the end of the first half, and timeouts, march down the field and kick a field goal or even get a touchdown before the half. Maybe their play calls change in the second half. We don't know.

I think the best way to describe this is in terms of baseball. It has annoyed me for decades when announcers don't recognize this reality. Say a baserunner gets thrown out trying to steal a base and then the next batter hits a homerun. Inevitably, announcers and fans and players themselves say if the runner hadn't tried to steal, then it would have been two runs when the homerun was hit. But everything has changed. Now the pitcher is throwing from a windup instead of the stretch. The pitch selection is different. Maybe the guy that hit the home run would have popped out.

Basically, things are not predestined to happen the same the rest of the game.

Always best to just enjoy the victories rather than look back. 

Yes I view life the same way... but it doesn't draw headlines right?

Like all things if we've taken life at face value (realistically) perhaps America would be better off. 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2022, 10:46 PM)Nepa Wrote: I wanted to go for it for the same reason. But 3rd and 11, up 3, I think most coaches would run the ball, and run the clock down versus risking an incompletion and stopping the clock. Then they count on the defense keeping the opposing team out of the end zone. But with Mahomes, he has a history of driving down the field with little time left. I think Zac showed a lot of guts versus the conservative approach of running the ball and the clock.

If Burrow's pass was incomplete, and the clock stopped, a lot of fans would be complaining bitterly about passing the ball on 3rd and 11. I wanted to go for the 1st down because i'd seen too many QBs break my heart at the end of games. I'd rather break their hearts with my QB.

I wanted to run on 2nd and 4. Once it's 3rd and 11 100 percent agree you have to throw it there for the 1st down.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2022, 11:43 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Yes for any QB not names Mahomes... throw out the rule book when it comes to him. 

13 seconds.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2022, 11:22 PM)Nepa Wrote: But life, and football, doesn't work that way. You don't know what would have happened had the Bengals taken the 3 points at the end of the first half. To say they would have won by 9 assumes things are predestined to go the same way the rest of the game. But maybe the Chiefs with time on the clock at the end of the first half, and timeouts, march down the field and kick a field goal or even get a touchdown before the half. Maybe their play calls change in the second half. We don't know.

I think the best way to describe this is in terms of baseball. It has annoyed me for decades when announcers don't recognize this reality. Say a baserunner gets thrown out trying to steal a base and then the next batter hits a homerun. Inevitably, announcers and fans and players themselves say if the runner hadn't tried to steal, then it would have been two runs when the homerun was hit. But everything has changed. Now the pitcher is throwing from a windup instead of the stretch. The pitch selection is different. Maybe the guy that hit the home run would have popped out.

Am enjoying the victory immensely and not sweating it at all per already knowing Zac would go for it. It is the only thing I disagree with him on is that he gambles too much.

Yet its not like the scenarios you suggest because the exact same amount of time would have been on the clock that KC had anyway minus time lost for the kickoff. Only thing that would have changed would have been them starting on the 25 yard line. 

But get that most want to go for it usually, but I think points in the NFL are hard to come by and should take what you've earned most of the time and only gamble on occasion in lieu of every time. Yet get that Joe Burrow makes gambling more comfortable.

Yet love this team and have accepted the fact they like rolling the dice and understand your point.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 12:24 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: 13 seconds.

Only needed a FG in that situation... but I'm still not giving this guy a second on the clock if I don't need to.

Super happy our "Crappy HC" went for the juggler on 3rd and 11 to seal the deal. 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 12:33 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Only needed a FG in that situation... but I'm still not giving this guy a second on the clock if I don't need to.

Super happy our "Crappy HC" went for the juggler on 3rd and 11 to seal the deal. 

I'm agreeing with you. I'm saying people must've forgotten how quick he put Buffalo away last year in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote

Yes, Ive always hated when people think events will unfold exactly as they did before regardless of variables changing.   
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2022, 10:32 PM)GodFather Wrote: Unbelievable! Burrow under pressure throwing a perfect pass and catch by Tee. Incredible.  Was thinking if Lewis was HC, he would've ran the ball four times and given Paddy the ball back with time.

Loved how that game ended and Burrow playing his usual clutch self when given the opportunity. I don't care what anyone says, we have the best QB in the league...

I have to admit, I would have probably done the same thing.  He has balls that need their own zip code.  And Higgins, with only two receptions (that should have been PI and offsetting calls anyways in the end zone) was clutch making the grab past the chains and getting down.  

If you think about it....why NOT do what they did.  The awkward play on 2nd down was clearly an "if it is there, throw it, if not, eat it and keep the clock moving".  Didn't like him taking an extra shot in the back, but my God...that third down play was incredible.  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have to admit, I would have probably done the same thing.  He has balls that need their own zip code.  And Higgins, with only two receptions (that should have been PI and offsetting calls anyways in the end zone) was clutch making the grab past the chains and getting down.  

If you think about it....why NOT do what they did.  The awkward play on 2nd down was clearly an "if it is there, throw it, if not, eat it and keep the clock moving".  Didn't like him taking an extra shot in the back, but my God...that third down play was incredible.  

They said in the presser, that's exactly what happened on the 2nd down play. Although, I think Joe could've flipped it to Perine there and gotten a couple yards. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
The last play, the victory formation, my favorite.

But really how clutch it was it by Joe and Tee

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: They said in the presser, that's exactly what happened on the 2nd down play. Although, I think Joe could've flipped it to Perine there and gotten a couple yards. 

I saw the same thing, but feared a tipped ball INT as there were bodies all over.  Burrow did the right thing.  He is learning to not force it when he doesn't have to and fight another down.  

Burrow has 25 TDs this year and 8 INTs.  Four of those INTs happened in week 1.  He has 23 TDs and 4 INTs since week 1.  Fricking amazing.  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:30 AM)Go Cards Wrote: The last play, the victory formation, my favorite.

But really how clutch it was it by Joe and Tee

It sure isn't the Titan's fav... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 12:24 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: 13 seconds.

With a timeout and only needing a FG.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have to admit, I would have probably done the same thing.  He has balls that need their own zip code.  And Higgins, with only two receptions (that should have been PI and offsetting calls anyways in the end zone) was clutch making the grab past the chains and getting down.  

No reason to eat it and keep the clock moving.  It was the two minute warning.  Throw it away.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 10:48 AM)michaelsean Wrote: No reason to eat it and keep the clock moving.  It was the two minute warning.  Throw it away.

Agreed, but I think when he saw the guy closing behind him, he knew he didn't have time to wind up at all.  
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2022, 11:07 PM)Mer Wrote: I actually thought the play was stopped because the defender was so close and Joe looked so comfortable I thought he'd stopped until the ball came out.

X2.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2022, 11:47 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I wanted to run on 2nd and 4. Once it's 3rd and 11 100 percent agree you have to throw it there for the 1st down.

The reality is Joe made a huge mistake. The clock was stopping for the 2 minute warning, throw the ball away (he could have and save 5 yards, Then 3rd and 6 versus 3rd and 11.

But who is to say we get a first down and keep the clock running on 3rd and 6. As has been noted, each play in a game changes everything.

I give Zac praise for not just going for it, but not dumping it off to get a closer FG attempt but the clock running.

This is not the first time Zac and Joe have run out the clock.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 05:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The reality is Joe made a huge mistake. The clock was stopping for the 2 minute warning, throw the ball away (he could have and save 5 yards, Then 3rd and 6 versus 3rd and 11.

But who is to say we get a first down and keep the clock running on 3rd and 6. As has been noted, each play in a game changes everything.

I give Zac praise for not just going for it, but not dumping it off to get a closer FG attempt but the clock running.

This is not the first time Zac and Joe have run out the clock.

Believe most everybody felt the same way and it was after a time out so surely this was discussed. 

Think he was worried about cocking his arm and getting the ball knocked loose per hearing footsteps closing quickly from behind.

Hope so anyway yet either way it worked as you already pointed out.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote