Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Burrow May Not Be Cleared For Preseason
(08-11-2022, 11:33 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Thought it was his appendix surgery keeping him out, did I miss something about a new knee injury ? 

Hoping not

It was early for me, I was half-asleep, and I don’t know what I was thinking lol
Reply/Quote
Bengals likely don't want him to sniff the Pre-season.... keep the media talking about his surgery for another week or two.

The game vs. the Steelers will be run heavy anyways so not too concerned.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 12:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It was early for me, I was half-asleep, and  I don’t know what I was thinking lol

Understand but in nearly gave me a heart attack lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 11:16 AM)Nepa Wrote: This is all very concerning. Everyone was relieved it was just an appendix removal. Now we hear "major surgery,"  might not be able to practice until "beginning of September," week-to-week more than day-to-day, might have had some intestines removed, might have developed an infection.

Appendicitis and removal of the appendix sounded so uneventful and commonplace. Now, it seems like the surgery was anything but.

It's just hand wringing. He had an appendectomy.. You either do that right or the patient dies. He may have had to have it done the old way instead of through a scope, but it's still  just an appendectomy. He'll be fine.  
Reply/Quote
I don’t think Burrow will play I pre-season game at all.But this is more than just your normal appendectomy out of hospital the next,or same day surgery going on here.Anyone with any common sense could just look at Burrow and tell he had lost significant weight in a very short amount of time.He just looked sick,and was,and is still just sitting a lot on the golf cart.

I want to remain optimistic here, but I think he may have delayed the appendectomy to long,and if it bursted,then you have problems.Also,the reported IV in his arm,if this is true raises eyebrows.Hoping everything works out well for him,but I wouldn’t be too surprised if he doesn’t start week 1.He’s getting the best of care and I’m sure he’ll be fine.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 08:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No need for Joe to play at all this pre-season.

Yeah, plus I think even in the opener against the Steelers he shouldn't have a ton of pass attempts as we need to just run it on 
them. That was their biggest weakness and they pretty much ignored it. You can run the ball on them for once and we added the 
guys to do it. We will see if Joe wants to pass a lot though cause he sees something in their Defense early.

Would make sense for them to stack the box but Joe feasts when Defense's do this.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 01:48 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Footballguys says Burrow might not be cleared for the preseason games.

Let's hope it's nothing serious, which it's probably not, but I always fear the worst with our team.

Normally, I'd say who cares and Burrow doesn't need preseason, but I would have liked for him to get some live game action with his new line.

Let's hope Burrow makes a quick and full recovery!

Nurse here...I was a pediatric nurse for 15 years and saw all sorts of ruptured appendices over the years. Appendicitis starts with lower abdominal pain/pain around the belly button then settles in the right lower side. People almost always have vomiting and/or diarrhea with this pain.

If you have a high pain tolerance (many kids do) then it's often brushed off as a stomach bug. Once the appendix ruptures, the pain wanes and people feel better...

Then they really get sick and realize they need medical attention. We had kids rupture more often than they did not. Some ended up with an abscess or something called a phlegmon, and some even developed a type of stone from the infection.

These patients usually need longer term iv antibiotics given via a PICC line but usually make a full recovery rather quickly. Some only need a few days. Just depends on the situation and amount of infection that needs to be treated. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 01:45 PM)BengalB Wrote: Nurse here...I was a pediatric nurse for 15 years and saw all sorts of ruptured appendices over the years. Appendicitis starts with lower abdominal pain/pain around the belly button then settles in the right lower side. People almost always have vomiting and/or diarrhea with this pain.

If you have a high pain tolerance (many kids do) then it's often brushed off as a stomach bug. Once the appendix ruptures, the pain wanes and people feel better...

Then they really get sick and realize they need medical attention. We had kids rupture more often than they did not. Some ended up with an abscess or something called a phlegmon, and some even developed a type of stone from the infection.

These patients usually need longer term iv antibiotics given via a PICC line but usually make a full recovery rather quickly. Some only need a few days. Just depends on the situation and amount of infection that needs to be treated. 

This happened the first weekend of practice when it was hot and humid.  According to Brandon Allen, Joe was complaining of cramping. That is  something that even with nausea would be blown off by a young strong athlete as the effects of the heat.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I just went outside and looked up. The sky is still way up there. Just sayin...

P.S. This is exactly what happens when people type "no injuries" when talking about the team. You are the ones that bring this on, so you only have yourselves to blame. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 12:12 PM)tms Wrote:  Likewise, I think some are overreacting to Jimmy using the word "major". I defy you to find a parent whose kid just had a tube pulled out of their core and not call it major lol. 

I agree that people are blowing the word "major" from James T. Burrow out of proportion, but then again, I'm a dad and I downplay my kids injuries all the time, soooooooooooooooo ..........

(08-11-2022, 02:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I just went outside and looked up. The sky is still way up there. Just sayin...

P.S. This is exactly what happens when people type "no injuries" when talking about the team. You are the ones that bring this on, so you only have yourselves to blame. 

I just think many of us aren't ready yet to be Bengals homers and have to be Chicken Littles. We just were an OL that could block for more than 2 seconds away from winning the Super Bowl? We need some Steeler-like arrogance around here.

Dare I say we need to be more Brad-like? 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 12:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It's just hand wringing. He had an appendectomy.. You either do that right or the patient dies. 

Oh, gawd! You mean he might die?!
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 03:06 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I agree that people are blowing the word "major" from James T. Burrow out of proportion, but then again, I'm a dad and I downplay my kids injuries all the time, soooooooooooooooo ..........

Ha! You could be right. Who knows. I'm def not the authority on all things Burrow. 

I did lose my poor appendix, tho. God bless that little guy wherever he is today. Who knows what they did with him... Probably something unspeakable and wrong parental advisory explicit lyrics lol
Reply/Quote
Joe looks like he lost weight... We just can't have nice things..
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 02:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I just went outside and looked up. The sky is still way up there. Just sayin...

(08-11-2022, 07:34 PM)Tony Wrote: Joe looks like he lost weight... We just can't have nice things..

Right on cue. :lol:

Reply/Quote
Some of you still don’t know who our QB really is. He’s faced adversity at every step (from Meyer telling him he throws like a girl at OSU, to the pandemic rookie season, 2 years of awful OL play, the horrific knee injury, etc). All he ever does is overcome it and get even better.

Reply/Quote
He did look a bit thin and seems to be slow on mend but all speculation, at least Allen is getting reps with 1st team and we have built the best nucleus I have ever seen around a bengal QB so we can win with Allen if needed against Steelers especially at home but my bet is Burrow will be under center Game 1.
Reply/Quote
One could argue that Brandon Allen getting reps helps this team for the long run more than Burrow getting reps right now.

I hope Burrow is back soon, but this only makes our questionable backup better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 08:50 AM)jj22 Wrote: They spoke on this on the radio a couple days ago. Not time to panic yet, but after next week eyebrows will be raised. They pointed to his significant weight loss as an issue he'll have to work through to gain back some mass.

It's not ideal. But there is still time.

That's my biggest concern. Weight loss, being unable to lift, it's impossible to put on weight during the season. So if he starts the season small he's going to stay small. It's definitely not a good situation right now if he's not out there in the next two weeks.
Reply/Quote
It sucks if he's lost much muscle mass. I specifically remember him saying that getting bigger and stronger was one of his offseason goals this year.

Either way, I think he'l. be out there week 1.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 09:18 PM)samhain Wrote: It sucks if he's lost much muscle mass.  I specifically remember him saying that getting bigger and stronger was one of his offseason goals this year.

Either way, I think he'l. be out there week 1.

He actually came to camp lighter than he has been.  He told Chris Simms he was down to around 210 about 10lbs lighter than he was last season.  He felt he was able to move around better at the lighter weight

We wouldn't be Bengals fans if we didn't assume the worst

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote